Does society hate smart people?

What I hate in all this talk of "modern society" is that I don't think things have been better at any point in history.

I think thats a primary reason for much of the problem. We're materially sated--no, not sated, we're materially oversated to the point of extreme gluttony.

I was reading an essay on Aleksandr Solzkhentisen (I cant spell his last name), in which it quoted an address he made I think to the Harvard Graduating class in 1979. Anyway, he told them they were living in the best times humanity has ever known materially, with the most freedom. Yet, he stated, they were living in the worst times, as they didnt have true freedom, and were squandering everything. His basic point is that the American system provides its citizens with total free will, yet free will entirely dependent on the material and lacking in God (God to the actually atheist Solzhenitsin being something higher than themselves, like community, etc). or anything higher. So you have millions of persons granted free-will with no purpose other than their own self-indulgent aims.

If intelligence (taken alone) is any indicator of success you would have to assume the opposite holds, and that it is exactly counter-intuitive to think those of a lesser intelligence and capability are the ones promoted into positions requiring the greatest level of responsibility and showmanship especially, in a capitalist society.

If, on the other hand, you associate intelligence of the greatest extreme with a directly related emotional or psychological extreme (ie. a generally unavoidable state of pessimism and rebellion) you're extrapolating from a personal conclusion because the question of "How one should live?" and "How one should react?" is ambiguous and individual.

Even intellectuals are hypocrites, if not more so. :err:

I have an IQ of 147, I'm a metalhead, I edit a magazine and i play three instrtuments(one classic). But I also wreck havoc in my town and am used to get drunk and rampage around. Does this make me a smart person. Well not really. I mean I am a great pupil and favoured by the teachers, but people either hate me or love me not cause of my intelect but cause of my arrogance and cause they think they're inferior to me.

If intelligence (taken alone) is any indicator of success you would have to assume the opposite holds, and that it is exactly counter-intuitive to think those of a lesser intelligence and capability are the ones promoted into positions requiring the greatest level of responsibility and showmanship especially, in a capitalist society.

If, on the other hand, you associate intelligence of the greatest extreme with a directly related emotional or psychological extreme (ie. a generally unavoidable state of pessimism and rebellion) you're extrapolating from a personal conclusion because the question of "How one should live?" and "How one should react?" is ambiguous and individual.

Even intellectuals are hypocrites, if not more so. :err:

Yes, as I stated, my post was entirely personal opinion and observation. But yeah, I suppose I do associate higher intelligence with higher emotion and psychology.

(i) No one who has less than a 666 I.Q. as determined by tickle torture can be metul, read Nietzsche, and either become the overman or a pro banker.

Proposition (i) will be proved in the language of relational predicate logic with identity below...

Yes, as I stated, my post was entirely personal opinion and observation. But yeah, I suppose I do associate higher intelligence with higher emotion and psychology.

That's one of the worst things I've ever heard

That's one of the worst things I've ever heard

Thanks, I try. Occasionally I surprise myself. I suppose I was assuming ones psychological and emotional torment over the hell of society and the world would be greater than a less intelligent person. Some logic I'm using. :loco:

Thanks, I try. Occasionally I surprise myself. I suppose I was assuming ones psychological and emotional torment over the hell of society and the world would be greater than a less intelligent person. Some logic I'm using. :loco:

I thought you were implying that intellectual people are somehow have a greater, uhm, "emotional spectrum". I think actually, on the contrary, people with a "broader vision" who analyze "society" are distanced from the actual problems at the process; especially considering the fact no one has experience with the actuality of this long lost romantic "past" where everyone was at harmony in nature and wrote eternal poetry while harvesting the fields and heroically marching to battle with the glorious leader. Maybe someone who is an "intellectual" will feel something that others don't, seeing as he possess knowledge others don't (say, you know about the Matrix ...); and it takes some intellect to appreciate complex art; but it does not mean the feelings are any more genuine. I sometimes think infoterror is doing a huge attempt at trolling, because he speaks so synthetically of all those eternal values he preaches, and I really doubt whether he believes in them. Dostoevsky observed that those who are "smart", but not true genius, who have no ideas of their own are usually the most frustrated and I wholeheartedly agree; so it becomes very easy to blame everything and everyone and retreat into separate intellectual environments. It is easy, likewise - and I think that's where you are pointing at - to be frustrated with the "slightly" intellectual. It is a well known fact that leaders can't be much smarter than those led because at this point there's a communication breakdown. They need to speak the same "language", if you get me - perhaps "they have the same metaphysics" would be a more appropriate term. :cool: Within that framework, perhaps recognized as "inferior", they can settle things well, not realizing they're still trapped in the same box. If you attempt to write, I'm sure you get this feeling when you see crap praised, and honestly, I perhaps secretly do, too. It could be jealousy and it could be a recognition that something is really wrong. But really, though I dislike attempts at pop psychology, ideologies are very, very often mere masks to actual primal feelings which most certainly are not any "nobler" than anyone's, perhaps even worse. Now to go back to Dostoevsky, and there's little question he's a genius, and likewise almost every other great writer I can think of, they all worship, actually, the simplest of all. And I really think sometimes that the more complex it gets the more it attempts to return to basics. Trouble is that you sometimes cannot tell if that's innocence and stupidity that leads to harmony or perhaps something that lies beyond others' perception - through Anna Karenina, I was surprised Levin did not raise this question himself - but I guess all that's left to do is hope. (that sounds cliche but I think it's true)

I thought you were implying that intellectual people are somehow have a greater, uhm, "emotional spectrum". I think actually, on the contrary, people with a "broader vision" who analyze "society" are distanced from the actual problems at the process; especially considering the fact no one has experience with the actuality of this long lost romantic "past" where everyone was at harmony in nature and wrote eternal poetry while harvesting the fields and heroically marching to battle with the glorious leader. Maybe someone who is an "intellectual" will feel something that others don't, seeing as he possess knowledge others don't (say, you know about the Matrix ...); and it takes some intellect to appreciate complex art; but it does not mean the feelings are any more genuine. I sometimes think infoterror is doing a huge attempt at trolling, because he speaks so synthetically of all those eternal values he preaches, and I really doubt whether he believes in them. Dostoevsky observed that those who are "smart", but not true genius, who have no ideas of their own are usually the most frustrated and I wholeheartedly agree; so it becomes very easy to blame everything and everyone and retreat into separate intellectual environments. It is easy, likewise - and I think that's where you are pointing at - to be frustrated with the "slightly" intellectual. It is a well known fact that leaders can't be much smarter than those led because at this point there's a communication breakdown. They need to speak the same "language", if you get me - perhaps "they have the same metaphysics" would be a more appropriate term. :cool: Within that framework, perhaps recognized as "inferior", they can settle things well, not realizing they're still trapped in the same box. If you attempt to write, I'm sure you get this feeling when you see crap praised, and honestly, I perhaps secretly do, too. It could be jealousy and it could be a recognition that something is really wrong. But really, though I dislike attempts at pop psychology, ideologies are very, very often mere masks to actual primal feelings which most certainly are not any "nobler" than anyone's, perhaps even worse. Now to go back to Dostoevsky, and there's little question he's a genius, and likewise almost every other great writer I can think of, they all worship, actually, the simplest of all. And I really think sometimes that the more complex it gets the more it attempts to return to basics. Trouble is that you sometimes cannot tell if that's innocence and stupidity that leads to harmony or perhaps something that lies beyond others' perception - through Anna Karenina, I was surprised Levin did not raise this question himself - but I guess all that's left to do is hope. (that sounds cliche but I think it's true)

No, I agree with you. This whole discussion is based on generalization, experience and personal observation, so... And I have alot of idiotic thoughts that I wrtie without pondering first.

In fact, I think the simpler the person, the more emotional or passionate the person becomes about the important things in life: love for example. However, I suppose my opinion is that the simpler the person, the less likely they are to worry about the deeper issues of their own personal meaning, the injust structure of the world and society, etc. But this is really a terrible generalization.

god, I'd be a terrible philosopher.

No, I agree with you. This whole discussion is based on generalization, experience and personal observation, so... And I have alot of idiotic thoughts that I wrtie without pondering first.

In fact, I think the simpler the person, the more emotional or passionate the person becomes about the important things in life: love for example. However, I suppose my opinion is that the simpler the person, the less likely they are to worry about the deeper issues of their own personal meaning, the injust structure of the world and society, etc. But this is really a terrible generalization.

god, I'd be a terrible philosopher.
I meant that big ideas don't make for big emotions. There are dry emotions regarding the meaning of life and genuine, honest emotions regarding simpler things; plus the emotions that concern those big ideas often don't have to do with the idea (the structure of society) at all.