Does that sound incredibly self-centered/antidemocratic to you?

mindspell

vvv Jake's ass vvv
Jul 6, 2002
Montreal
www.mindspell.org
or am I reading this the wrong way?

"Arafat's departure from the scene . . . creates an opportunity for the US to help promote a new Palestinian leadership and resolve the problem of having no negotiating partner among the Palestinians," said Martin Indyk at the Brookings Institution.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11297470%255E663,00.html

For a champion of democracy this sounds like the US would place whom they want as the head of Palestine...

what it is saying is what the Palestinians, the world, pretty much everyone agrees: that without support from Quartet members (especially the US), the Palestinian leadership will be usurped by militants.

Arafat consolidated so much power, money, weaponry, and prestige into himself that it will be pretty much impossible for whoever is going to be a Palestinian leader to succeed without the world's support.

the context of the beneficary of that word is open to interpretation, within that passage. what i'm saying is that i can see how MS easily took it that way.