Does this exist??

Jun 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
www.myspace.com
I'm trying to get a certain feel from a band, but I can't find a band that gives me that particular feel. I guess the genre would be something like psychedelic power metal. Lots and lots of energy is a must, like NOT sad stuff or chillout stuff. The feel I want from it is kinda like if there was a wormhole and u jumped in it cos there is power at the end of it, so you're travelling down and down inside the wormhole and your mind is fixated on that power and it just keeps getting deeper. The psychedelic aspect I want is like a certain freeness, like you're goin thru the wormhole and nothing else matters and you are free from the world.

I've found a fair bit of stuff with screamo vox and dissonnant chord fill, and thats quite boring. Something a little more jumpy would be cool. Like how symphony x riffs have the power chords with the rests inbetween to make the rhythm..... that sorta stuff. Drilling leads/keys might create that wormhole effect I was talkin about.... but i really dont know, and the vocals have to be clean, powerful, and free.

So, any bands come to mind??

Maybe the song Angels and Rage by Cairo is what you're looking for? I really have no idea... you're not specific enough, lol. I don't know much about the band Spock's Beard, but I imagine that they're pretty trippyish...

Um...Through the Wormhole by Ayreon? :lol:

Seriously tho, maybe give Ayreon a try...not powermetal but The Universal Migrator Pt 2 sounds like it might give you what you're looking for. Plus Russ and Romeo are on a track :p

Eternal Dragon said:
I'm trying to get a certain feel from a band, but I can't find a band that gives me that particular feel. I guess the genre would be something like psychedelic power metal. Lots and lots of energy is a must, like NOT sad stuff or chillout stuff. The feel I want from it is kinda like if there was a wormhole and u jumped in it cos there is power at the end of it, so you're travelling down and down inside the wormhole and your mind is fixated on that power and it just keeps getting deeper. The psychedelic aspect I want is like a certain freeness, like you're goin thru the wormhole and nothing else matters and you are free from the world.

I've found a fair bit of stuff with screamo vox and dissonnant chord fill, and thats quite boring. Something a little more jumpy would be cool. Like how symphony x riffs have the power chords with the rests inbetween to make the rhythm..... that sorta stuff. Drilling leads/keys might create that wormhole effect I was talkin about.... but i really dont know, and the vocals have to be clean, powerful, and free.

You are talking about Pagan's Mind. Wormholes are their province :) Their songs are based on "Star Gate" mythology and a little bit of their own imagination in sci-fi genre. They have the most energetic music i've heard in a band so far.

http://www.pagansmind.com/

Eternal Dragon said:
I'm trying to get a certain feel from a band, but I can't find a band that gives me that particular feel. I guess the genre would be something like psychedelic power metal.

I agree with one other poster...... Pagan's Mind. "Celestial Entrance" is my fave by them. Great guitarist with technical skills AND lots of soul
Another good one might be Tad Morose. They are more "in your face" almost "oldschool" style powermetal, but they still have a very ethereal feel to them. My fave release is "Modus Vivendi." Their former vocalist Urban Breed is one of the best kept secrets in metal. The guitarists are slightly above average soloists, but elite riffsters and the harmony vocals are top notch as are the drums.
Lastly, you might want to check out Wuthering Heights "Far From the Maddening Crowd." Super cool weird, tripped out powermetal with a vocalist who sounds a lot like Ronnie Dio.

Bryant

turke said:
You are talking about Pagan's Mind. Wormholes are their province :) Their songs are based on "Star Gate" mythology and a little bit of their own imagination in sci-fi genre. They have the most energetic music i've heard in a band so far.

http://www.pagansmind.com/
:worship:PAGAN'S MIND

That's funny, I spent a lot of time with my band discussing what exactly is our style. We agreed that "psychedelic" is definitely the most appropriate adjective. Some guy at Emergenza qualified our music as "Patton metal" in an article, but we don't like it as we don't want such a reference, even though Mike Patton is a genius. Of course it's metal, so something like "psychedelic progressive metal" would fit.

A small audio sample from one of our weirdest song (called "Amnesia") for those who don't believe me haha (contains some extreme vocals, but we do mainly clean vocals)
http://flavien.morel.free.fr/Amnesia-sample.mp3

Oh, I forgot... lyrics are not gibberish, it's french :rolleyes:

zomg, so much good stuff. Logruss, your music is great..... that is kinda like the base sound of psychedelic metal that I was thinking of ;). From there what I'm after kinda gets tricky cos I like more melodic layers as well, but then I guess some of that psychedelic feel gets lost too, hence why I wasnt sure if that stuff exists. Ok, now I just checked out pagan's mind and OMFG they are awesome :D:D. They are more towards the power metal side but they've brought it back more and its more out there and has more feeling than a lot of power stuff. Maybe a bit more psychedelic than what i've heard so far would be cool, but they probably do have more out there songs so i'll keep checkin them out.

Thx fellas, I'll move up the list later and check out the other suggestions :).

Even if I dont find exactly what I'm after there are definately some very cool bands here anyway ;).

Try Arcturus' The Sham Mirrors. A bit industrial, progressive, symphonic, dark, and very psychedelic. Not very Power Metal'ish, but I recommend the band to anyone who likes kickass music anyway :p

If you liked Pagan's Mind, then you might want to check out Dreamscape, Lord of Mushrooms and Platitude also.

If you want more like Ayreon-ish "-fly-around-in-space" metal, maybe you'd like Space Odyssey and Time Rquiem also.

Phanto said:
If you want more like Ayreon-ish "-fly-around-in-space" metal, maybe you'd like Space Odyssey and Time Rquiem also.
Space Odyssey is excellent! It's neo-classical shred but more progressive, like what Yngwie should be doing instead of rehashing the same old same old. Very energetic, but not too taxing to listen to. Time Requiem is also a Richard Andersson project I think but I haven't heard too much of that.

Eternal Dragon said:
zomg, so much good stuff. Logruss, your music is great..... that is kinda like the base sound of psychedelic metal that I was thinking of ;). From there what I'm after kinda gets tricky cos I like more melodic layers as well, but then I guess some of that psychedelic feel gets lost too, hence why I wasnt sure if that stuff exists. Ok, now I just checked out pagan's mind and OMFG they are awesome :D:D. They are more towards the power metal side but they've brought it back more and its more out there and has more feeling than a lot of power stuff. Maybe a bit more psychedelic than what i've heard so far would be cool, but they probably do have more out there songs so i'll keep checkin them out.

Thx fellas, I'll move up the list later and check out the other suggestions :).

Even if I dont find exactly what I'm after there are definately some very cool bands here anyway ;).

Thanks ! Glad you liked it. But as I said, this sample is certainly one of the strangest parts in our music. Sometimes we're more melodic, sometimes heavier. There are three entire songs from our upcoming first album available here (yeah I know, myspace sucks blah blah :) )

maybe Vintersorg. The new stuff is really proggy, but the older stuff has a really really honest feeling to it, kinda hard to describe.

I think Borknagar is superior to Vintersorg (especially the Vortex era). Also, I don't see what kind of "psychedelic" feel there is in Space Odyssey. I think it's just boring shred à la Yngwie with more synth. One thing for sure, it has nothing in common with Ayreon !

To stay in the topic, a band that mixes 70s psychedelic atmospheres with black metal is Enslaved, and I really love their stuff.