doesn't this owl's contact lenses get sticky/mucusy?

coelacanth_M

human plant/container
Oct 17, 2003
Boston, MA
www.myspace.com
http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8663335^13762,00.html

Blind owl gets contact lenses
From correspondents in Madison, Wisconsin
February 12, 2004

A GREAT horned owl found starving in the wild because it had gone blind could be released this spring after having new eye lenses implanted.

The owl, named Minerva by medical personnel, underwent two hours of eye surgery Jan. 22, and Dr. Chris Murphy said she was in good condition during a follow-up exam.

"Perfect," said Murphy, a board-certified veterinary ophthalmologist. "Ounce for ounce, this is considered one of the toughest birds on the face of the earth."

Minerva was found in emaciated condition in early December, after someone told wildlife rehabilitators Sue and Jerry Theys an owl had been sitting on a fence for three days.

Sue Theys, who netted the owl, said she suspected the owl had cataracts. After a local veterinarian confirmed the diagnosis, the Theys brought the owl to Murphy at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine.

Murphy had a pair of lenses on hand that had been custom-made six years ago for another great horned owl that proved to be an unfit candidate for the surgery. The lenses were designed by Murphy and Dr. Chuck Stuhr, and were made for free by Storz Opthalmics, a company that has been bought by Bausch & Lomb.

With Murphy supervising, Dr. Renee Carter and fellow resident Katie Diehl implanted the new lenses.

"To the best of my knowledge, this has not been done anywhere," Murphy said.

The Theys, who operate Wildlife of Wisconsin wildlife rehabilitation, paid for $300 of the $1800 procedure, with the veterinary school donating the rest.

During her recovery, the Theys have been giving Minerva antibiotic eye drops three times daily and feeding her rats and an occasional rabbit.

In April, they will move the owl to a much larger flight cage and release live rats into the straw-filled enclosure to see if she can successfully hunt. If so, she'll be released back into the wild.

Great horned owls are the largest owls in North America, with females obtaining a wingspan of 1.5 metres and weighing up to 2.5 kilograms. They use night vision and an acute sense of hearing to find prey in the dark.

"She's extremely feisty," Sue Theys said. "She can't understand why we're messing with her. She can see and she wants to take off and fly."

The Associated Press

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

and... what about contact lens solution?
what the fuck? what's he going to do?
his eyes are going to get fucked up.
i doubt there's such a thing as owl eyedrops, that's impossible.

i don't understand this "implanting" of owl contact lenses.
that's different from laser surgery right? in laser surgery, they don't actually FUSE anything to your eye...??
i'm going to donate my japanese eyedrops with menthol + caffeine. those things wake you right the fuck up, as well as providing proper eye lubrication. they're great.

Huh. When I first heard that story, yesterday, I thought they were essentially putting in artificial corneas. I hope the owl doesn't get an owlash under the lens (ha ha).

oh, one annoying thing about the menthol eyedrops... you get cloyingly sweet mentholated post-nasal drip shortly after using it. it's an eerie feeling, but hey who knows, some people might be into it.

Charubic Murder said:
Stimulating your eyes with caffeine doesn't sound too safe.

but that's okay. japanese people like sticking these ear picks into their ears too.

za-b.gif

long sticks with a small hook at the very end of it to insert into your ear canal, scraping all the dead matter out. it yields some serious hunks of earwax and your head feels lighter and more oxygenated when you're done. it hurts like a mother though, if you accidently scrape your ear drum. i can't even imagine what happens if your arm accidently jerks. :(

i'm not sure of any brand names but they're "hard minty" eye drops. that's what they're called!

i also recall there being lychee eyedrops, so the post-nasal drip tastes pleasantly like lychees! huge with the teenage girls of japan. haha!

hmm i can't seem to find any infomation about it online except this:

In Japan many students and professional workers use menthol eye drops to keep them awake in the mornings. Some friends of mine claim that you can also get eye drops with caffeine and nicotine in Japan; but I’ve never actually seen them, so I think they’re full of it.
I once mistook menthol eye drops for regular eye drops and spent a few minutes alternating between clutching my face in pain and tearing at my eyeballs. Which I’m sure is a smaller version of what would happen with caffeinated eye drops, so I’m certain they’ll sell like hotcakes.

i was told that the eyedrops i was using contained caffeine, but maybe it's a japanese urban legend that was started because menthol eyedrops wake you up so well? i hope not. :(

ps - toby, could you please bring my mentholated japanese eye drops to the lizzie borden house? i think i left them at your house.

hahaha yes!

i was so addicted to those energy drinks while i was living in tokyo.
at that point, i couldn't read japanese yet (i was in japan to learn how to read) but i would see these commercials on TV for a product called "CHOCOLA BB". it featured cute japanese girls with big eyes literally zooming across the screen, smiling plastically and exclaiming, "girls! you're not pretty if you're tired! drink chocola BB!"

of course i had to go investigate this mysterious drink for myself, so i would occasionally buy one in the mornings to wake myself up. gradually, i would find myself craving it more and more, until i HAD to have two or three of them a day. it was very eerie, but i was completely addicted!

one day, on the train, i was bored and decided to read the ingredients listed on the back of the bottle, since i finally could at that point. i started reading it out loud, "NI... KO... CHIIN... holy shit, that's nicotine!"

scary scary country.

now i'm just addicted to these korean energy drinks called LIPOVITAN. they taste like liquid vitamins.