doing my best to acheive this kind of drums sound?

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Hey guys,
i need your help to achevice nightwish kind drum sound, like here in the video below, at about 0:34.

i am using superior drummer, so i am limited to the room sound in therem but i have several expansion.i noticed that the hi-hats are very subtle.
i find that the overheads in superior are always really loud, dont know why.

anyway here it is:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTdhXxxWREo&feature=relmfu[/ame]

thanks!

seems like they are sample replaced... and pultec-styled Low-shelf EQ on kick... maybe a lot of compression on OH...

but what about the huge ambient they have? the are really wide. but not reverbish

That's obviously the way they were recorded = the way they naturally sound... only thing you can do there is finding similar samples

you can also try heavy room mic & OH compression (possibly M/S)... dont know if it helps - just an idea

oh no, not that eurovision song contest crap! haha

but seriously, i'd assume that the kit was recorded in a fairly reflective room (hard surfaces, stone and wood) leading to great ambience on elements like the snare and toms. kick is def replaced 90-100% (maybe oneshot with original), snare and toms are replaced where needed (audible during some fills). a fair amount of the room mics where used in the final mix, which then went to either a half inch tape machine or tape plug. snare is def steel/alu, and toms sound maple with clear heads. kick doesn't really sound like it belongs so it's probably not an in-house sample.

Sounds like an e-kit with Superior drummer as the module.The kick is very compressed.You need a big snare,really loud on the room mic of course

well what make me wonder is that while the room mic is loud, you dont get lot of hi hats and cymbals in the room, they to get a depth, but not being spilled.. i am not sure how this can bbe achieved naturally? i mean, yea, i can lower the level of the cymbals in the room track from superior, but i guess it will sound odd, unreall.

well what make me wonder is that while the room mic is loud, you dont get lot of hi hats and cymbals in the room, they to get a depth, but not being spilled.. i am not sure how this can bbe achieved naturally? i mean, yea, i can lower the level of the cymbals in the room track from superior, but i guess it will sound odd, unreall.
Well, you can track the shells first and then the cymbals