Dokken

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
That's right, Dokken. Anyone who was old enough to appreciate music in the early to mid 80's and beyond surely remembers them. Guitarist George Lynch was a bonafide 80's Guitar Hero. George may be long gone, but we've never quite stopped "Rokken with Dokken". Their next album, "Lightning Strikes Again" will see European release on April 11th and May 7th here in the States. About it, Don Dokken says, "Yes, it has taken a long time but in the end the fans will have a Dokken CD that is as good as any we did in the 80's. Our goal is to deliver a CD that will shake up the rock world... and so far everyone says it is the best Dokken CD since '86. It's time that a band from our era did something special and prove that our brand of music is still valid."

We've all heard these kinds of promises before from various bands, but I've seen the current lineup live, including guitarist Jon Levin, and they have the potential to pull it off. Of particular interest to Dokken fans are a series of Podcasts the band is putting forth. The first one is up now at http://www.dokken.net/ and includes a "track by track review with Jon Levin" which includes snippets of the songs. What I've heard thus far does indeed sound like they have recaptured much of the old vibe, particularly when it comes to the guitaring. Don's vocals occasionally capture the old style, but often maintain his more mature style, which can often work well too.

In case you couldn't guess, i am rather looking forward to getting my hands on this one. ;] (and seeing them live again when they come around)

I love Dokken too. My wife and I saw the video for "Dream Warriors" on VH1 Classic the other weekend and we went nuts. We last saw them live in 2000 when they did a tour with Slaughter, Poison and Cinderella. They had Reb Beach then as guitarist and they were awesome. Erase The Slate was a killer album.

However, it's not the same without George and Jeff around. It's like seeing Ratt without Stephen Pearcy, or Motley Crue without Vince Neil or Tommy Lee.

I'll gladly stick with the classics like Breaking The Chains, Tooth And Nail,Under Lock And Key,Back For The Attack, and even Dysfunctional and Erase The Slate were killer....but Dokken isn't Dokken anymore without Jeff Pilson and George Lynch.

I've been on a hair metal kick as of late...I listened to Ratt today. Someone start a hair metal topic. BIG HAIR FOREVER!:headbang:

Yeah I'll agree that it's not quite the same (a lot of bands are simply unable to really fuel that raw feeling as they get older.. Dokken being one), but i like bassist Barry Sparks, and Jon Levin is good enough to almost make you forget George. Funny thing is, i cared more when Jeff left than George. Probably because it was more recent.

'Erase The Slate' is easily the best of the "new era" albums. The only one that is truly awful is Shadowlife. Everyone likes to pretend that one never happened :p The band basically is like "no one wants to let us try something new". No, we just don't want something that sucks. I guess stuff like that is why the new album goes for a "back to the 80's" feel. Cause they have said it's a do or die album sales wise for them, and they figure that's all people want.

Anyway, the newer stuff is kind of pick and choose i guess. I like several songs from both Long Way Home (2002) and Hell To Pay (2004). From the prior, Sunless Days is a really good song. If you (Snowy) ever have an opportunity to give it a listen, you should. :]