circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Dol Ammad – Star Tales
Black Lotus Records – BLRCD077 – November 30th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

dolammad.jpg

There are bands that grab my hand, and then toss me into certain seasons, geographical locations, or both with hardly any effort whatsoever. When I listen to Isis, I imagine that I’m on an aerial journey over the sea, while Immortal makes me think I’m trudging through a blizzard in the middle of a Russian winter. To be straight (as if I have to try!), there are innumerable examples of this phenomenon but – what I’m getting at is – Dol Ammad bring to mind the vibrant, turbulent life that is aquatic. Huh? Well, yeah, if there’s a soundtrack to living underwater, then Star Tales would be first in line. Though I wish it were more engaging to be honest.

These players of “electronica art metal” (who number somewhere around fifteen) commence slowly with “Dreamport,” which could serve as the initial voyage into the depths of the murky water. The choir lashes us with a full-on assault at the beginning of “Eclipse,” but opts for docility upon docking at “Weaver’s Dance.” The latter readjusts its energy level at certain spots, but overall remains enjoyable enough. No distinguishable vocals helm the forefront of “Weaver’s Dance,” either, because we receive unintelligible vox on behalf of just the choir. As one would expect from the band’s self-proclaimed, subgenre description, synthesizers are used heavily on Star Tales, and make themselves known on opuses such as “Boxed Daylight (Part I),” “Boxed Daylight (Part II),” and other compositions where vocals don’t capture attention immediately. The most frantic parts – beginning of “The Veil (Seven-Face Danger)” and “Master of All” – stand out perhaps more so than serene offerings. “Birth of Kruug” utilizes unsettling effects, but “Vortex 3003” doesn’t let it for long until “Mission Butterfly” switches to serenity.

At best, Dol Ammad are a large group whose grandiose numbers relay a massive amount of talented wailing, unbelievable atmospheric effects, and competent musicianship. But, more often than not, all the former traits failed to impress me…sort of. If you’re aching to experience the depths of the sea without even stepping foot in the water, then by all means have at it with Star Tales. I think I’ll stay out of the water for the time being, though. There really should be a joke about Jaws here. Don’t you agree?

7/10

Official Dol Ammad Website
Official Black Lotus Records Website