Dollar Stores

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Occasionally, I'll pop into the local dollar store to get my kid one of those helium filled balloons for $0.50. Yesterday, I went in and saw that they now have a DVD section. Granted, most were atrocious, but I found Dog Soldiers!! For one buck!! Brand new and sealed.

Great movie: "Jaws, Aliens and Predator with a Werewolf twist" <- it's true!

I also found a copy of Iron Maiden's Soundhouse Tapes...ok, no I didn't. But the rest is true!! Even the part about $0.50 balloons!

I have a feeling this thread will die. :tickled:

Whoa whoa whoa, hang on a second here. I just realized the conspiracy of the 99 Cent store turning into the Dollar Store right under my nose! It was so subtle that I didn't even think about the local Jewmart turning into The Dollar Tree a few years back.

This'll be the $20 Store in no time, AND NOBODY WILL EVEN NOTICE.

i enjoy dollar stores. dollar general especially. i get my vitamins there cheap! :headbang:

but yeah at the 99 cent store near my house in texas, i got a convulse cd and a release cd for 99 cents each. \m/

Some of it makes total sense: for example, key cutting. I mean, why pay $6 at Home Depot, when you can pay $1 at the Dollar Store. Duracell batteries? $1. Flashlights? $1.

I felt pretty dumb having to ask how much Dog Solders was, esepcially when the man raised an eyebrow and said "$1?" as if questioning my logic. But there is no logic!! How are $1 dollar stores so cheap??

Are they selling surplus stock? And what is their markup? $0.01? How do they make any money? Unless of course, it's all stolen goods.....

JayKeeley said:
Some of it makes total sense: for example, key cutting. I mean, why pay $6 at Home Depot, when you can pay $1 at the Dollar Store. Duracell batteries? $1. Flashlights? $1.

I felt pretty dumb having to ask how much Dog Solders was, esepcially when the man raised an eyebrow and said "$1?" as if questioning my logic. But there is no logic!! How are $1 dollar stores so cheap??

Are they selling surplus stock? And what is their markup? $0.01? How do they make any money? Unless of course, it's all stolen goods.....

how???

I tell you how ... a client of mine runs one of these.
First, those Duracell batteries ... are NOT Duracell baterries .. they are knockoffs made in china ... all looks the same ... but they are not real.

electronic/electrical stuff is never UL rated as it is all foreign made where there is no regulation.

food ... most likely expired ... this is about 80% of the time.

the rest ... it's just crap :loco:

lurch70 said:
how???

First, those Duracell batteries ... are NOT Duracell baterries .. they are knockoffs made in china ... all looks the same ... but they are not real.

electronic/electrical stuff is never UL rated as it is all foreign made where there is no regulation.

I'm less sad we don't have some of those here :lol:

lurch70 said:
how???

hahahahahaha that was even funnier than the Tyrant's in his Pants picture from earlier today!

I'll bet these places sell cans of Cream of Toast.

as far as markup ... they don't make that much ... usually they get stuff for anout .65-.70 cents ...

this friend of mine got a small 1000sf. store and bought full inventory for about $20K ...

it's truely one of the worst businesses to go into.
you can make a marginal living, but will never be rich from it.

JayKeeley said:
Occasionally, I'll pop into the local dollar store to get my kid one of those helium filled balloons for $0.50. Yesterday, I went in and saw that they now have a DVD section. Granted, most were atrocious, but I found Dog Soldiers!! For one buck!! Brand new and sealed.

Fuck me! Awesome price for an awesome film! :headbang:

lurch70 said:
as far as markup ... they don't make that much ... usually they get stuff for anout .65-.70 cents ...

this friend of mine got a small 1000sf. store and bought full inventory for about $20K ...

it's truely one of the worst businesses to go into.
you can make a marginal living, but will never be rich from it.
Yeah, I imagine they get little profit. Which leads me to wonder why there are so many and how do they pay the lease as some of the ones here are huge.

I like getting bath towels and makeup tools there as it's about 1/2 of what the other stores charge.