don't laugh - early 70s Rod Stewart is awesome!

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Ok, so if you can stop laughing for a moment, please read my words:

I'm a big fan of Jeff Beck and love his first two albums - both of which feature a young Rod on vocals. Let's face it - he has (or had) a great voice!

And I've always liked the radio hit "Maggie May" and stumbled upon an old 'hits' collection of Rod's from the early 70s at my parents place this past weekend. So I played the CD and, to my surprise, was shocked at the great level of musicianship displayed throughout the CD. Great acoustic guitars, mandolin, some violin, some 'Stones style' riffage.....just great rock/folk/blues from Rock's golden era.

This week I picked up a 3 disc boxed set which includes all 5 of his early albums (recorded between 1969-1973) for dirt cheap. I must say, I can't stop playing it! This is not the cheesy, flowery, ultra-annoying Rod you may remember from the 80s!

If you like any early 70s classic rock, you might dig this era of Rod. this stuff is right there with the best of them!

I've also checked out his early 70s Faces records with Ronnie Wood...very Stonesy! :headbang:

....couldn't agree with you more, sir. Rod Stewart is one of those artists that you find yourself over-explaining to others, "I know he's lame now man, but....." Those first several albums, plus the faces stuff, and most definately the Beck stuff (especially Truth) are fantastic. He's one of those guys that just started out stellar....STELLAR. Such a shame what happened after. But he has a true rock and roll voice. When the Faces boxset came out there were some little reunion things going on, but he's since slipped back into "modern Rod," territory. If he'd have slipped off the map after, say, his third solo album, we'd all be saying, "Such a shame, it would have been nice to see where a guy like this was now!" But, lo and behold, he just decided to crank out top 40 gunk. Ah well. It doesn't sully the older stuff. Nah, you'll get no laughter from me....

I'm always into melody and voice. Rod's always been a fave of mine. I don't have his latest release on which I think he covers some classics I suppose it needs to go onto the wish list.:)

Not really a fan of Stewart but he's fun to sing along to. Props for the Beck though.

I feel the same way about Kim Mitchell. (Many say he's lame but the guy is an incredible song writer and guitarist)

poundingmetal74 said:
Not really a fan of Stewart but he's fun to sing along to. Props for the Beck though.

I feel the same way about Kim Mitchell. (Many say he's lame but the guy is an incredible song writer and guitarist)

Have you ever heard him on the Max Webster album? He is also great there.

The Faces are one of my all time faves...gloriously ragged rock-n-roll.
Rod Stewart has always been one of my fave singers, as well...great, great stuff.

1st concert I ever saw was Rod & The faces in there drunkin' glory, lol. Great show! After that I went to every concert I could, you could say I had the Rock N' Roll fever............

Rod gave the Stones a run for there money there for awhile.

coudldn't agree more, Rod's always had a classic voice, he just mellowed way too much, must say his new album is a rather annoyingly misleading titled thing. 'great rock classics of our time' - 'i'll stand by you', 'love Hurts', 'Father & Son' classics maybe, but rock?????, c'mon Rod.
I've also always dug Andy Taylor's version of Rod's 'Stone Cold Sober'