What NON-metal artists do you like?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Although metal generally dominates my Cd players, I do have many non-metal CDs in my collection. My fav non-metal artists are:

Dead Can Dance.
Amazing group....for a taste of what they're like, check out the soundtracks to either 'Gladiator' or 'The Insider', or 'Black Hawk Down'.
A duo (plus bandmembers), one Irish, one Australian, that do various music from different "ethnic" genres, as well as various "era" (16th century Italian, for example), combined with totally ethereal vocals. Groundbreaking artists, IMO.

Sting.
I'm not too big on his Police work, but most of his solo output is tremendous. IMO, he's a popular artist that's not quite "pop" music. His earlier solo records are not very radio-friendly, IMO. Awesome talent, undeniably unique voice!

Portishead.
The fathers (and mother!) of the Bristol UK mid-late '90s trip-hop movement. It's very easy to see why so many metal fans dig this unique band....the dark, erie ultra-cynical vibe is metal incarnate!

Rolling Stones.
(particularly 1968-1973 era).
Ok, sure they may be somewhat overrated as musicians, and sure they've mostly sucked since the mid 70s, but their true golden era was 1968-1973. The 5 studio records released during this era are genuine blues classics (yes blues!). Mick was a great addition to the band. Too bad his time with them was so short-lived.
The tune "Gimme Shelter" was a precursor to the imminent early metal movement of the late 60s/early 70s, both musically AND lyrically!

Pearl Jam.
Too many fans credit grunge with 'killing' metal. I don't agree. Metal killed metal. Too many sub-par records were being released, Rob left Priest, Bruce left Maiden, Vince left Crue. Slayer & Queensryche both took 4 years between record releases in the early 90s, Metallica took 5 (only to release the dud known as Load). Megadeth began to SUCK, etc. The oversaturation of the hair genre ruined the gig. Grunge did not.
Pearl Jam are phenomenal songwriters - for them, it's all about emotion, not about "blistering solos". I'd rather have a song that moves me, than a solo that bores me.

What are you guys in to?

To name just a few...

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eric Clapton
Bonnie Raitt
BB King
Blackmore's Night
Acoustic Alchemy
Spyro Gyra

I disagree, grunge did kill metal. After the raving success of Nirvana, big record companies saw an opportunity and began grinding out hundreds of sound alike bands, trying to cash in on Nirvana's popularity. The result was that only the leading pre-established, old school metal bands got new record contracts. There were hundreds of other fledgling old school metal bands waiting in the wings for their shot, but the grunge movement took away any hope of that dream. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Anyway, back to your main topic of non-metal artists: (and I'm assuming you mean hard rock too)

Blackmore's Night
Magenta
Ambeon
Dargaard
Allison Moorer
Elton John
Neil Diamond (Jonathan Livingston Seagull only)
Ed Van Fleet
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eric Johnson
Ronnie Montrose

That's my "off the top of my head" list, and all artists I have listened to within the last year and enjoyed.

I listen to all kinds of stuff.... just for instance:
Funkadelic, Dick Dale, Miles Davis, Roky Erickson, Flatt & Scruggs, Patti Smith, Minor Threat, Neil Young, King Crimson, Bob Marley, the Pixies, REM, Velvet Underground, etc, etc..

Well I give a few.
David Allan Coe
A Perfect Circle
Frontline Assembly
RAMONES!!!!
Murphy's Law
Johnny Cash
Waylon Jennings
Hank Sr. and Jr.
George Jones
Lords Of Acid
Grant Lee Buffalo
Patsy Cline
The Lurking Corpses
Steerjockey
GBH
Chaos UK
Voodo Glow Skulls
ICP(I cant help it there funnier than hell!!)
Cypress Hill(Old)
The Exploited
Dead Boys
The Slurs
and so on and so on!

Just counting stuff I like enough to own albums: Camel, ELO, Survivor, Honeymoon Suite, Harlequin, Saga, Kansas, Styx, Marillion, Asia, Supertramp, Private Life, Ultravox, Boston, Shooting Star and Yes
Then there's a lot of bands where I like the odd track here and there. Waay too many to mention.

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Selena (im latin what i can i say <shrugs>)
Yanni (i got into that new age craze when Acropolis came out lol )
Robert Johnson
Various classic rock bands : Doors, Joplin, Skynyrd, Hendrix, Stones, Led Zep etc.
Ramones
Green Day
Offspring
Rancid
Various classical including Mozart, Beethoven, Rachimanoff, Chopin etc.
Samuel Barber (main theme of movie Platoon)
Various orchestral soundtracks of movies like Unfaithful,Somewhere in Time, Once Upon a Time in America, King of the Gypsies etc..
Nine Inch Nails

too many to name but you can see the various genre's i listen to ...

Bob Dylan
Sigur Ros
Grateful Dead
Mars Volta
The Black Crowes
Dead Can Dance
Dire Straits (older stuff)
AFI
Bjork
....and tons of others

SoundMaster said:
Dead Can Dance.
Amazing group....for a taste of what they're like, check out the soundtracks to either 'Gladiator' or 'The Insider', or 'Black Hawk Down'.
A duo (plus bandmembers), one Irish, one Australian, that do various music from different "ethnic" genres, as well as various "era" (16th century Italian, for example), combined with totally ethereal vocals. Groundbreaking artists, IMO.

What are you guys in to?
Of course, the Stones rule. And I own all the DCD stuff, including the boxset and all the solo albums. I probably listen to them more than anybody else. Did you know they are doing a reunion tour this year? American dates coming soon, and European already anounced (and sold out). Can't wait. Never seen 'em.

Ted Nugent
Cro-Mags(the debut is more hardcore punk than metal)
Rush
Sex Pistols
Black Flag
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
The Ramones
Bad Brains
ZZ Top
The Misfits
KISS
Aerosmith(from the debut to Draw The Line, and from Done With Mirrors to Pump, only. The rest sucks. Actually, their new one isn't bad, but it's a covers album.)
Fear
The Pixies
Scorpions
Minor Threat
Yes
Tom Petty
The Who
MC5
New York Dolls
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Captain Beyond
UFO
Blue Cheer
Cream

Rush
Pink Floyd(The Best non-metal band ever!)
Stever Miller Band
ZZ Top
Lynard Skynard
Styx
Boston
Vinnie Moore
Blue Oyster Cult
Jimi Hendrix

SoundMaster said:
Dead Can Dance.
Dead Can Dance are also one of my favourite bands. Especially Lisa Gerrard has a really awesome voice. To get an impression of her vocal range, I´d recommend her solo debut "The Mirror Pool".
After splitting up some years ago, Lisa Gerrrard and Brendan Perry are back again. As you might have already heard, they´ll be touring in Europe this spring (I suppose most concerts will be sold out by now, luckily I got a ticket for their show in Cologne:Spin: ) and in America later this year. I read there´s also hope for a new album, but this hasn´t been confirmed yet.

As there´s quite a lot of non-metal music I listen to, I´ll just make a list and include some links:
Gåte
Kari Bremnes
The Third And The Mortal (not metal anymore)
Garmarna
Gjallarhorn
Värttinä
Hedningarna
Två Fisk Och En Fläsk
Burlakat
Suden Aika
Mari Boine
Tactile Gemma
Qntal
Helium Vola
The Bulgarian Voices "Angelite"
Sainkho Namtchylak
Stepanida Borissova
Parissa
Sima Bina
Sussan Deyhim
Ketil Bjørnstad
Kate Bush (allegedly, her new album will finally be released this year)
Tori Amos

ElectricWiz said:
And I own all the DCD stuff, including the boxset and all the solo albums. I probably listen to them more than anybody else. Did you know they are doing a reunion tour this year? American dates coming soon, and European already anounced (and sold out). Can't wait. Never seen 'em.
Yes, I've heard. And I'm SO EXCITED! After seeing the DVD (from the boxed-set), I just HAVE to see this band in a live context!!

In my view, they've penned some of the most extremmely emotional music ever heard by mankind. The Lisa tune "Sacrifice", and the DCD tune "Hosts of Seraphim" are practically religious experiences. This is truly sacred music.

HailIron said:
Rush
Pink Floyd(The Best non-metal band ever!)
Stever Miller Band
ZZ Top
Lynard Skynard
Styx
Boston
Vinnie Moore
Blue Oyster Cult
Jimi Hendrix

I have to agree with you on Floyd... love em... and Zep is still in my heart though I get bored of listening to them nowadays because i listened to them too much in the last 15 or so years lol but i never seem to get bored of Floyd...also David Gilmour has to be the most underrated guitarist in rock history both as a soloist and as rhythm but more for lead... he is always overshadowed by Roger Waters (who i thought was always overrated... after all i dont think he came up with the lead guitar parts, drum parts or keyboards.. he might of come up with the main melodies/ideas for the songs but then they worked as a team for the rest no? ) and is never given his due and credit for his contribution... whats your fave album? mine will always be The Wall followed by Darkside and Wish you Were Here... i never bought Animals can you believe that but i heard its also a kick ass album... do you recommend it? ...

Pink Floyd
The Doors
Janis Joplin
Jamiroquai (first two albums mostly)
Leb i Sol (ingenious Macedonian jazz-rock band, anyone into that style *should* check them out, the lineup consists of pure virtuosos, but in the most musical sense)
Smak (great Serbian rock-jazz band, sounding somewhat like Deep Purple going jazzy. Check out albums like "Crna Dama"/"Black Lady" or "Stranice naseg vremena"/"Dub In The Middle")

That's all I can think of now...