What bands have you 'discovered' in 2005?

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
If you liked Murder of Crows, Soundmaster, you'll love January Tree. The two are very close in terms of quality, but I think the songwriting is just a tad better on January Tree. Check it out, you won't be sorry! Devon Graves is positively brilliant!

They *are* both very similar in quality. And a little too similar in overall sound for my liking. I still like both of them but January Tree is a little too rehashed to me. Of course rehashing good music ain't a bad thing. :D

Cool thread:

Riverside (modern day Pink Floyd - HIGHLY recommended)
Circus Maximus (awesome newcomers to the scene)
Hibria (awesome new power metal ala Lost Horizon)

I need to check out this Lord Slough Feg stuff. Jim over at www.lotfp.com has been hammering me about them and Hammers of Misfortune, both I haven't heard as of yet.

hey darththrash,I hear ya about municipal waste! I picked up hazardous mutation and its killer! reminds me of the good ol' days of crossover. It is great to see them out there and not only playing that style but doing it well.live four times! bastard! lol

Considering 2005 marked my return to the metal music scene after nearly 10 years of being totally unaware of anything new in the true metal vein. I have discovered many bands in 2005! I won't list them all, just a few that stand out for me!

Sabaton
Icarus Witch
Sonata Arctica
Overlorde
Iron Mask
HammerFall
Astral Doors
Wuthering Heights
Demons & Wizards
Symphorce

:headbang:

Liked that Vhaldemar cd eh vern?:D
Nightrage:devil:
Strapping Young Lad
Rediscovering Corrosion Of Conformity (In The Arms Of God probably their
best cd since Blind)
Some metalcore which I didn't think I would like ie: Sinai Beach, The Zimmerman Note, Despised Icon and Shadows Fall, Bleed The Sky
3 Inches Of Blood
Graveworm
Behexen
Bloodbath
Satanic Warmaster
Thales (the one from finland not germany)
Rotten Sound
The one im looking forward to 2006 will be a project called "I" that will feature
Abbath from Immortal and former members of Gorgoroth and Enslaved.

HOLY SHIT!!! you guys are musically deprived!! ahahaha im reading some of these "just discovereds"...

nightwish, sonata, ranbow, finntroll, manitcora, nightrage, hammerfall, freedom call, symphorce, brainstorm, aah man!!

anywho, i discovered a new band...Odins Court. they are prog-metal but have unique mix of prog and an edge of heaviness.

www.odinscourtband.com

if you go to their forum (which an UM forum) they have 3 songs available for download.

as of right now, they have 1 album "driven by fate" currently out. however, with new members, they are putting it out again entitled "Redriven By Fate" with a few extras i do believe. read any more you wish to know on their site.

Wheezer said:
They *are* both very similar in quality. And a little too similar in overall sound for my liking. I still like both of them but January Tree is a little too rehashed to me. Of course rehashing good music ain't a bad thing. :D
I don't mind the similarity in sound, it's Deadsoul Tribe's sound. Devon's got a killer forumula and I don't think it's run its course yet. And if I was trapped on a desert island with only one DST cd, it would definitely be January Tree. Like I said, I just like the songwriting better on that one. I think it's worth the price of admission just for the "Hate can only create more Hate" song! :headbang:

NP: Flogging Molly - Within a Mile of Home

Firewind
Hibria

and especially the new Grand Magus! :headbang:
The first two I didn't like at all, I'm not really into that stoner thing...
But Wolf's Return is an amazing piece of stripped down, no-bull heavy metal!

I forgot to mention in my post that I recently heard one of the latest songs by Akercocke, and was completely surprised and impressed. I'd never heard them before, and really liked it. I'll probably buy the latest CD to give them a chance.

Saint Vitus was definately my biggest "discovery" of this year. I was getting pretty musically burned out, and the "doom metal" offered a great change of pace.

wdiv said:
Saint Vitus was definately my biggest "discovery" of this year. I was getting pretty musically burned out, and the "doom metal" offered a great change of pace.

I've been through a couple Doom phases. Let me suggest YOB to you. VERY cool stuff. Also, if you like St. Vitus, you might like Witchfinder General and some other old-school stuff. Electric Wizard is cool too. In fact, I took my screen name here from them. I'm not their biggest fan, but was listening to them at the time I was signing up here. About as doom as it gets.:zombie: :devil:

Speaking of doom even though I dont have their discs yet but I was crazily
impressed with Well Of Souls, Valkrye, Reverend Bizarre and Thorns Of Carrion
along with my pals The Gates Of Slumber at The Templars Of Doom this past
summer.

just picked up "Hellfueled" after over hearing it in Pabla's room. Great stuff, dude sounds like a young Ozzy. I'm enjoying it! Other discoveries of 2005, same as most of you, a local band here Desecrate has the ability to become very good if they'd just get another lead singer. One of the guitarist sings, and their music is really damn good, but a new singer would kick up a notch for me. you can find them on my space. MySpace URL:

http://www.myspace.com/desecrate

Norther
Nocturnus
Acheron
Divine Empire
Malevolent Creation
Behemoth
Himsa
Demons and Wizards
Mortiis (solo)
and lets cap it off with some Testament.