2006 is more than 3/4 over. What bands have you discovered this year?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
This has been an awesome year musically. Thanks to some of the UMOS posters, I've 'discovered' the following bands this year:

Jethro Tull:headbang: :kickass:
Jimi Hendrix
Traffic
Trapeze (Glenn Hughes 1st real band!)
Wishbone Ash
Humble Pie
Spooky Tooth
Black Crowes
The Black Keys (modern blues)
Enslaved
Cream
Derek and the Dominos
Allman Bros
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Voodoo Hill (featuring Glenn Hughes!)

mostly a non-metal, classic rock year!

Vanden Plas (as per many other threads)
Sahg
Borknagar
Blind Guardian (in that they put out an album that I love...and I hadn't really connected with them before, heavily anyway)
Tea Party
In The Woods
Emperor

There's a few more, but those are the major additions at this point.

Hmmm. Discovered. I take that to mean hearing a band for the first time and really liking what you hear, enough that you're anxious to hear more of them. That said,

BENEDICTUM, BENEDICTUM, BENEDICTUM -
Thanks to Carnut for shamelessly plugging this album during our SoulSeek weekend in the Spring. Classic 80s metal doesn't get any better than this. Awesome debut for an awesome band. One of my faves of 2006!

Rage - Although I've had random mp3s from Soundchaser for a few years, I didn't fully realize this fantastic German metal band until this year, where I've gobbled up no less than seven albums from their extensive catalogue. Everything I've heard them do is really good, and some of it is downright GRRRREAT! (Special thanks to Fangface for typing up an extensive description of Rage's varied discography and giving me a very useful guideline for my new Rage addiction.)

Devin Townsend - Most of his work is far too extreme for me, but Synchestra is a brilliant piece of music. I got Terria as well, and although good, doesn't really compare. I'm more looking forward to what Devin might do next rather than his back catalogue that I've sampled enough to know it's TOO MUCH for me.

Edguy - Another band where I've had/heard random mp3s from random albums in the past. I'm not a big fan of the Helloween-style speed metal, so Edguy never really struck a chord with me. But the new album, Rocket Ride, is much more mid-tempo as a whole, and quite diverse in it's music styles. Hopefully this is a sign of Tobias Sammet's mellowing with age and dropping the repetitive speed metal approach for one more to my liking.

Dragonforce - Normally I'm not a fan of flower metal, but their new album really got alot of airplay in my hallowed halls this summer. I can't say for sure WHY I like it. I can't stand most bands whose only tempo causes sonic booms in my brain, but SOMETHING about it appeals to me. I know I love the songwriting and the vocal melodies, and the guitar solos are excellent. It's funny that they're on Ozzfest this year. They probably play more solos in one performance than all the Ozzfest bands COMBINED since the inception of the tour. More guitar solos = more good for me! Thanks to Rokk for turning me onto this one!

Pharaoh - I discovered this great old school band thanks to a one-two punch from metalreviews.com and Wyvern. I read the MR review and went searching for a download so I could test the waters a little. I couldn't get the whole album, so brother Vern stepped in and helped me out. What a pleasant surprise this band turned out to be. Classic metal in the tradition of Iron Maiden, and I believe their best albums are still ahead of them.

Jorn Lande - Although I've always had random mp3s of random albums of random Jorn-led bands, this year I really stocked up on my Jorn Lande collection. From Ark to Beyond Twilight, Masterplan to his solo stuff, it's all great music from one of the premiere voices in metal today.

Benedictum (offcourse :)
Outworld
got into Sieges Even earlier this year (after a brilliant live gig)
Beyond Twilight
Dezperadoz
Cloudscape

and still checking stuff out

Either new abnds or old bands that went under my radar or barely could paid attention in due time:

Benedictum
Black Crucifixion
Leatherwolf
Abandoned
Fatal Force
Cellador
Waterclime (thanks a lot JD!)
Tank
Camel
Uriah Heep
Tarot
Hammerhead
Chariot
Griffin
Liege Lord
Pretty Maids
Attentat Rock
Gaskin
Chainsaw
Crystal Ball
Highland Glory
Forbidden
Hallows Eve
Zoetrope
Hirax
Impaler
Irish Coffee (thanks Carnut!)
Isopoda (thanks Carnut!)
Iron Clad
Minotauri
Nasty Savage
Pentagram
Saint Vitus
Sodom
The Ordeal

Wyvern said:
Either new abnds or old bands that went under my radar or barely could paid attention in due time:

Benedictum :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Black Crucifixion
Leatherwolf :headbang: :headbang:
Abandoned
Fatal Force
Cellador
Waterclime (thanks a lot JD!)
Tank
Camel
Uriah Heep :headbang:
Tarot
Hammerhead
Chariot
Griffin
Liege Lord :headbang: :headbang:
Pretty Maids
Attentat Rock
Gaskin
Chainsaw :puke: (can't help it, it's stronger than myself )
Crystal Ball
Highland Glory
Forbidden
Hallows Eve
Zoetrope :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Hirax :headbang: :headbang:
Impaler
Irish Coffee (thanks Carnut!)
Isopoda (thanks Carnut!) got 2 more Isopoda albums up for digitising...(one available on SS already ;-)
Iron Clad
Minotauri
Nasty Savage :worship:
Pentagram
Saint Vitus
Sodom
The Ordeal
Alot bands there I love too !!!

KORPIKLAANI!!! Beer Beer!:kickass:

I discovered Megadeth this year and Decide or is it Diecide? Meh
Iced Earth too. My boyfriends got a whole load of different bands for CD and casette and it's gonna take me forevor to listen to them all, and then there's the bands that people talk about and you end up with a big wish list of music to listen to and albums to buy, Anyone else find this problem?

Sieges Even -- Thanks Hawk! :headbang: :kickass:
Benedictum -- Thanks Carnut! :kickass: :headbang:
Beautiful Sin
Freak Kitchen
Prymary (real recent, like the flight back to Denver on Sunday)
Thunderstone
Trivium (another very recent, not sure about yet)
Firewind
Astral Doors
Warmachine
Machine Men

That's about it for right now, off the top of my head.

poundingmetal74 said:
Hellz Yeah man. Forgot about them - awesome Melodic Metal band.

Unfortunatly they are searching for a new vocalist now... I just hope they do release their album, I heard it and it's an absolute killer !!! Some of the best US-Metal to appear in years. But I'm not really sure it will hit the shelves now the singer has left the band...

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Devin Townsend - Most of his work is far too extreme for me, but Synchestra is a brilliant piece of music. I got Terria as well, and although good, doesn't really compare. I'm more looking forward to what Devin might do next rather than his back catalogue that I've sampled enough to know it's TOO MUCH for me.
I cannot get enough of Devin Townsend's work, the man is an absolute genius. I've gotten most of the SYL albums and I have Biomech, Terria, and Synchestra, and I love them all. I was seriously considering buying a pillowcase off ebay that had a picture of Devy on it and said "Devin is watching you dream."

Is that bad?:loco:

#1_Droogie said:
I cannot get enough of Devin Townsend's work, the man is an absolute genius. I've gotten most of the SYL albums and I have Biomech, Terria, and Synchestra, and I love them all. I was seriously considering buying a pillowcase off ebay that had a picture of Devy on it and said "Devin is watching you dream."

Egads, if I had Devin's screaming face on my pillow, I'd never get to sleep at night! :erk:

Have to add:

Firewind (just arrived :D )
Anubis Gate
Manticora
Blöden-Wedd
Chris Poland
Presto Ballet
Rock Goddess
Girlschool
Savage Circus
Sweet Savage
World Below
Karmakanic

#1_Droogie said:

Bad? No. But if you did get it and started having nightmares, I could pretty much guarantee that it wouldn't be related to what you had for dinner.

I recently discovered Seventh Wonder and they are truely awsome. I reviewed the new Into Eternity and that one blew me away. A few days ago I had a telephone interview with their singer/guitarist Tim Roth a really nice guy.