2006 is more than 3/4 over. What bands have you discovered this year?

carnut said:
Unfortunatly they are searching for a new vocalist now... I just hope they do release their album, I heard it and it's an absolute killer !!! Some of the best US-Metal to appear in years. But I'm not really sure it will hit the shelves now the singer has left the band...

Do you know Wycked Synn? Their in the same spot. :erk:

most of the power metal i listen to, not that i listen to much or anything (lost horizon, dragonforce, etc.)

athiest
death

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Rage - Although I've had random mp3s from Soundchaser for a few years, I didn't fully realize this fantastic German metal band until this year, where I've gobbled up no less than seven albums from their extensive catalogue. Everything I've heard them do is really good, and some of it is downright GRRRREAT! (Special thanks to Fangface for typing up an extensive description of Rage's varied discography and giving me a very useful guideline for my new Rage addiction.)
No problem TSO :)

This year I've discovered Beautiful Sin and Benedictum, I think that's about it. Because of many changes in my life, I haven't had much time to look for new stuff, so I mainly stick to bands I know well right now.

Mainly been digging back and discovering a heap of old 80's stuff (too much to list), but of the new or more current bands, the top finds so far would be-

Benedictum - Like just about everybody else here it seems
Bloodbound
Highland Glory
Korpiklaani
Hellfuelled
Minds Eye
Sabaton

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Egads, if I had Devin's screaming face on my pillow, I'd never get to sleep at night! :erk:
Haha, it wasn't exactly a very soothing picture.
Wheezer said:
Bad? No. But if you did get it and started having nightmares, I could pretty much guarantee that it wouldn't be related to what you had for dinner.
:lol:

I've been familiar with Deep Purple for years... but I just really got into them now.

I'm curious about Trapeze, Wishbone Ash and Uriah Heep.

ProgMetalFan said:
I've been familiar with Deep Purple for years... but I just really got into them now.

You need to talk/type with our resident "Soundmaster" (who started the Uriah Heep thread), because he was exactly where you are one year ago. He'll talk/type your freakin' ear off and he's highly knowledgeable on the 70s material these days.

ProgMetalFan said:

Deep Purple was also a "late" discover in my time, meaning that I started with iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Saxon, Rush before getting to Deep Purple and Rainbow.

With Deep Purple you have to differentiate three eras basically Mk.I before 1971, Mk.II and III material up to 1975, 80's-today material. Being the classics the material from the Mk.II line-up (Gillan/Glover/Lord/Blackmore/Paice) most people consider it the material that has to be owned. I have only compilations and the live album "Made In Japan". Since I started with them at their return (1984) I have all their material since "Perfect Strangers" (one of their top albums ever).
Undoubtedly a band that has to be checked seriously to find a lot of basis for today bmaterial of bands, especially those into hard rock and the guitar wiz bands.

Not very familiar with Trapeze and Wishbone Ash material (forerunners of the twin lead guitar attack) but I just got hard into Uriah Heep a band that I paid attention superficially in the last 20 years. A friend got me "Demons And Wizards" as a birthday present and sparkled the whole interst in them again, so I just got their remasters and I recommend them seriously to all fine collectors and prog oriented ones in particular. At least the albums between "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" (debut) and "The Magician's Birthday" are must be material, considering the ones from "Sweet Freedom" to "High And Mighty" as potential purchases (the ones with the Byron/Box/Hensley triad).

Wyvern said:
Deep Purple was also a "late" discover in my time, meaning that I started with iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Saxon, Rush before getting to Deep Purple and Rainbow.

With Deep Purple you have to differentiate three eras basically Mk.I before 1971, Mk.II and III material up to 1975, 80's-today material. Being the classics the material from the Mk.II line-up (Gillan/Glover/Lord/Blackmore/Paice) most people consider it the material that has to be owned. I have only compilations and the live album "Made In Japan". Since I started with them at their return (1984) I have all their material since "Perfect Strangers" (one of their top albums ever).
Undoubtedly a band that has to be checked seriously to find a lot of basis for today bmaterial of bands, especially those into hard rock and the guitar wiz bands.

Not very familiar with Trapeze and Wishbone Ash material (forerunners of the twin lead guitar attack) but I just got hard into Uriah Heep a band that I paid attention superficially in the last 20 years. A friend got me "Demons And Wizards" as a birthday present and sparkled the whole interst in them again, so I just got their remasters and I recommend them seriously to all fine collectors and prog oriented ones in particular. At least the albums between "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" (debut) and "The Magician's Birthday" are must be material, considering the ones from "Sweet Freedom" to "High And Mighty" as potential purchases (the ones with the Byron/Box/Hensley triad).

I would add 'Look At Yourself' to that list. Its the most heavy album they did.

I'm really digging Deep Purple Mk. III. "Burn" and "Stormbringer" are two incredible albums... love the vocal interplay between David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes... and I absolutely love the slight "funk" flavor they brought to those albums. Mk. IV's "Come Taste The Band" is pretty good too... especially Glenn Hughes' vocal highlight in "This Time Around".

ProgMetalFan said:

Soundmaster can let you know about Trapeze, methinks.....was Glenn Hughe's band, right? I've heard some of their tunes on Glenn's live solo stuff, and they are cool songs - especially Medusa.

Wishbone Ash is great, but you probably wouldn't care to wander past the first couple. Namely the self-titled one, and Argus....their two best. Some of it is just "guitar boogie" stuff, but the vast majority is ABSOLUTELY the roots of prog-metal, and the twin Maiden guitar attack. Especially the stuff on Argus.....I dig them.

btw... any Purple/Dio freaks might be interested to know that I just picked up "Butterfly Ball"... very enjoyable mid-70s rock opera. Dio sounds wonderful on his tracks... as much as I love his 80s work... it's a shame he limited his diverse range of vocal expression once he left Rainbow.

ProgMetalFan said:
btw... any Purple/Dio freaks might be interested to know that I just picked up "Butterfly Ball"... very enjoyable mid-70s rock opera. Dio sounds wonderful on his tracks... as much as I love his 80s work... it's a shame he limited his diverse range of vocal expression once he left Rainbow.

As a matter of fact Dio has used parts of that album live and he did a couple of songs in Deep Purple "In Concert With The London Symphony Orchestra" both in the CD and the DVD, great material by Roger Glover indeed.

Hawk said:
I would add 'Look At Yourself' to that list. Its the most heavy album they did.

Psst, psst. I said
At least the albums between "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" (debut) and "The Magician's Birthday" are must be material...
that includes LAY.

Sorry couldn't help to be bitchy and despicable :devil:

ProgMetalFan said:
I'm really digging Deep Purple Mk. III. "Burn" and "Stormbringer" are two incredible albums... love the vocal interplay between David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes... and I absolutely love the slight "funk" flavor they brought to those albums. Mk. IV's "Come Taste The Band" is pretty good too... especially Glenn Hughes' vocal highlight in "This Time Around".
Then you might want to get the Glenn Hugues' "Burning Japan" live album, Glenn is on fire on that recording and his band played smoking renditions of DP songs.

Wyvern said:
As a matter of fact Dio has used parts of that album live and he did a couple of songs in Deep Purple "In Concert With The London Symphony Orchestra" both in the CD and the DVD, great material by Roger Glover indeed.
That live version of "Sitting in a Dream" is even better than original!