What's the best band you 'discovered' in 2004?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
And I'm not necessarily referring to new bands. Rather, any band/artist that you only just "got into" in 2004.

2004 was a great year, musically, for me. I re-discovered the 'classic era' of metal. For most of the last decade, I was immersed in the new genre of European "Heavy melancholy" (Anathema, Katatonia, Opeth, My Dying Bride, etc).

This year - thanks to the BB actually - discovered the absolute GREATNESS of three bands, all of which I'd completelly overlooked in my 20 years of "metalness":

1) Motorhead - in retrospect, Motorhead may have been the BEST band on the scene between the years of 1978-1981!

2) Saxon - these guys are in league with Maiden & Priest. Period. I'm not quite sure why they never exploded in popularity (perhaps their brush with "hair metal" in the late 80s?). Anyway, this band simply rules and should be loved by any metal-head!

3) Candlemass - their first 4 records contain SO MUCH melody and 'beauty'...and some of the best vocals ever committed to tape! A MUST for fans of any genre of metal.

ok

Into Eternity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant Believe I lived 26 years without this band

Vintersorg See Above

Symphorce ... Twice Second has been in a Constant Battle for player space with With Vintersorg and IE for the last 2 months Great Band!!!!

Wuthering Heights
Brainstorm
Suffocation
Borknagar
Satyricon

There are a Shitload more I have Discovered, Many Great Bands this year, it actually has been one of the best years for it atleast for me ....I can only hope 2005 goes as well :headbang:

Rediscoveries:
Tad Morose
Morgana Lefay
The Obsessed

@Soundmaster Candlemass is Fucking Great!!!!!

The BIG one is WASP. I knew of them before this year, but only really started getting into them just months ago. Am I glad i did. How in the hell have I been living without such classics as their self titled debut, The Crimson Idol, The Last Command and The Headless Children!? Great fuckin' band, and i'm glad i have finally seen the light. Took me long enough.

Bands that started anytime between 1969 and today, but just discovered (meaning got some albums)

Rival (courtesy of Sixxswine)
Wolf
Flotsam And Jetsam
Heathen
Abattoir
Well Of Souls
Onward
Muro
Warlock
Týr
Manigance
Malediction
High Power
Blaspheme
Killers
ADX
Force Of Evil
Warfare
Astral Doors
Warhead
Misery Inc.
Silver Seraph
Black Widow
The Coffinshakers
Black Steel
Trouble
Diamond Head
Exciter
Venom
Tren Loco
Lorihen
Midnight Sun

From those the prize have to go to: WOLF, my number one band of 2004 and the freshest stuff I have heard in years IMO.

Crimson Glory.

I got Transcendence last summer and instantly fell in love. Got the rest of their stuff pretty quickly too. Sure, the stuff they've released afterwards is nothing to write home about, but the first two are awesome as hell. Very unique and all-around ass-kicking stuff. Red Sharks! :headbang:

Wyvern said:
From those the prize have to go to: WOLF, my number one band of 2004 and the freshest stuff I have heard in years IMO.

I'm with you on that Wyvern, WOLF is by far the best new band I've heard in years!! Does anyone know when their next disc comes out?

Greeno said:
I'm with you on that Wyvern, WOLF is by far the best new band I've heard in years!! Does anyone know when their next disc comes out?
I doubt before 1-2 years, since 'Evil Star' is from 2004 :cry: In the meantime they are releasing it on vinyl, but nothing about new studio material.

NightRAge= ALL HAIL THE LINDBERG!
Sonata Artica= Heard of them before but bought all three albums this year.
Unearth= mmmm Oncoming Storm , ohhh yeah.
Kalmah= Bought two albums of theirs this year.
SUSPERIA= Bought all three of their albums this year aslo.

Star One...
Bathory...
Magic Kingdom...
Gamma Ray...
Edguy... (finally started to appreciate them like I should)
Asmegin...
Borknagar

Vision Divine and Death Angel, have "The Ultra Violence" on Vinyl, but I never gave them a decent shot untill Ted reccomended "The Art Of Dying", thanks Ted :wave:

SoundMaster said:
And I'm not necessarily referring to new bands. Rather, any band/artist that you only just "got into" in 2004.
All I can think of off the bat is Asperity. FINAL DEMAND is surprisingly catchy in a sort of more enthusiastic Evergrey.

Someone also turned me on to post-80's Overkill, which I never bothered with because in 1984, FEEL THE FIRE did nothing for me (beyond the absolutely GENIUS backwards message). Frankly, I'm thinking FROM THE UNDERGROUND AND BELOW & BLOODLETTING are what Metallica should have been doing to follow up MASTER OF PUPPETS.

Can't offhand think of any others I actually discovered this year.

best bands I discovered in 2004 woulld be are The Crown(shame they broke up before i knew them) and DevilDriver.
Ne1 else know of some good Thrash/Death bands?

Satyricon
Suffocation
Dionysus
Tad Morose
Freedom Call
Shadows Fall
Shadowkeep
Lilitu
Ion Vein
E Force
Doro
Dismember