How many 2005 releases do you have so far?

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys have bought so far in 2005, of brand new albums coming out. Most of my purchases so far were still from last year, and a handful from several years back. As of today, almost two months into the year, I've just bought my first "new" album. I ordered the new Astral Doors last night and I should have it by the end of the week. I can't wait!

What new releases have you guys purchased so far and how do you rate them?

Hmm, I don't recall any truly 'new' releases.

However, I have picked up the Ayreon "Actual Fantasy" re-release , which is another awesome release from Arjen.

In the next few weeks, however, there's tons of great stuff being released:
Priest
Porcupine Tree (Deadwing)
Ayreon (Final Experiment re-release)
Glenn Hughes (Soulmover)
Katatonia (Black Sessions)

To date, I have picked up quite a few pre-2005 releases, so far:
the Quill - the Quill, Voodoo Caravan
(imagine a mix of classic Deep Purple, Soundgarden and Jake E Lee's Bandlands)
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Ambeon - Cold Metal

Some of this stuff may have come out in 2004 but their American release dates were 2005 and that is when I got them so I count them for this year...

Angra - Temple of Shadows
Behemoth - Demigod
Chris Caffery - Faces/The Damn War
Grave Digger - The Last Supper
Mercenary - 11 Dreams
Kreator - Enemy of God

I'm psyched about the Porcupine Tree record also. NIN's new record, I"ll get that the day it comes out. I'll buy the Priest album etc. I've not bought one 2005 release yet though. Unless I'm forgetting something.

Last CD bought was Humble Pie's Live at the Fillmore
Stever Marriott=The man!

Kreator - Enemy Of God
Moontower - (forgot the name)
Saltus - Imperium Slonca

Kreator and Saltus I have only listened to once each so far, but approve of them both. Moontower I haven't cracked open yet.

Lots of new releases I'm looking forward to though! Gonna pick up Nokturnal Mortum, Judas Priest and Hammerfall in the next few weeks :) this is probably the first year where I have a substantial list of things I want.

in the kreator site they said that the new album was like violent r mixed with pleasure tk, but it wasn't. It was just another violent revolution, which isn't bad, but I was just a bit disillusioned when I had just bought it.

Nothing yet... still trying to find a good price for the Masterplan cd. Lots of good stuff coming up soon... Priest, Hammerfall, Demons & Wizards, Russell Allen cd, etc...

Nothing from 2005 yet. I found Masterplan "Aeronautics" buit it was the European imported version and damn too expensive, but I may got it since the price is the same for the version in US (unless a domestic version appears).

The last 2004 stuff I got was:

Beholder - "Lethal Injection"
Warning S.F. - "Aftermath" (thanks Sixx)
Overlorde - "Return Of The Snow Giant"

Kreator - Enemy of God
Merciless high quality thrash with melody and power. I hope they will continue on this road. They were great live last week.

Firewind - Forged by Fire
Metal with melody and power new singer Chity Somapala is great!!
Gus. G.'s guitar work is awesome! There are one or two sing a long songs on it but they don't spoil the fun!

Communic - Conspiracy of Mind

Debut album from this band from Norway. Strait up METAL no black or death. Powerful and progressive in a no bullshit way. I love this album!

Masterplan - Aeronautics

I was completely blown away by the first album. Thus I was very eager to get this one... Only to be disappointed! This album is nowhere near their debut. The songs sound simpler and more commercial. It is still growing on me but I don't think it will grow into a monster like the debut. Too bad.

I expect great things this year from:

Beyond Twilight - Section X

What I heard om their website is very good and sounds promising. Their new singer sounds excellent.

Biomechanical - The Empires of The Worlds

These Brits kick ass!! And John K is one of the greatest vocal promises of the current metal scene.

Ivanhoe - Walk In Mindfields

The return of this progressive metal band is badly needed in a genre that is flooded by copycats.

Kamelot - The Black Halo

After hearing the clips on their webpage I am very excited about this album. There's more melody and some hints of progressive metal. I was very impressed by what I heard to say the least!

Hey Hawk, did some poking through your list and checked out some song samples. I really like that Communic! Not bad for a debut album! Also dug the Beyond Twilight. I'll need to check into those bands further.

I ran right off to hear the song samples from the new Kamelot, only to be disappointed. Their little flash player doesn't work on my system. Says its downloading but no sound comes out. Sucks, because I have three Kamelot albums in my collection and was anxious to hear the new one. I decided to throw in Epica since I was all fired up to hear Kahn exercise his pipes.

I dont have any new ones from 2005 except maybe Behemoth's Demi god.. but today i got 3 CD's..

My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours (highly recommend it.. kicks ass.. better then Songs of darkness i think)

Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns (i like it alot.. very melodic metal with death vocals)

NightWish - WishMaster (not my cup of tea so far but will give it a listen or two more so it grows on me.. has its moments)

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Hey Hawk, did some poking through your list and checked out some song samples. I really like that Communic! Not bad for a debut album! Also dug the Beyond Twilight. I'll need to check into those bands further.

Ok thats great. Let me know how that goes :)

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I ran right off to hear the song samples from the new Kamelot, only to be disappointed. Their little flash player doesn't work on my system. Says its downloading but no sound comes out. Sucks, because I have three Kamelot albums in my collection and was anxious to hear the new one. I decided to throw in Epica since I was all fired up to hear Kahn exercise his pipes.

Man, I am so stoked about the new Kamelot. The tickets for their gig in Zoetermeer are already in my possession :) I liked Epica a lot better than the previous Kamelot albums, although I really liked "The Fourth Legacy".
Before Epica they sounded a bit too much like a generic power metal band IMHO.

BTW I hate the term power metal! Ever heard a metal band without power? There may be a few but wholly unintentional. Metal implies power for me. Thus the term power metal is tautological at its best, at its worst it a very stupid term. At least thats what I think.