Non Metal Leanings

Goth rock. Bauhaus, Christian Death, Theatre of Hate, Ausgang, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Play Dead, Fields of the Nephilim, the Birthday Party, UK Decay, Virgin Prunes, Alien Sex Fiend, the Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, early stuff from the Cure.

Lately I've been running out of new goth bands to get into. The fact that synthpop and pop-punk is passing off for goth these days doesn't help either.

Oh, I forgot one of my favorites for just chillin' out - Boz Scaggs - he's just so f'kin' smooth.:worship:

Dude !! I can't get the "Lido Shuffle" out of my head since I read this post. Great choice. I don't own any of his stuff, but I can recall five songs by him on the radio when I was young. He had a super cool vibe. I might have to look his stuff up.

Bryant

Oh, I forgot one of my favorites for just chillin' out - Boz Scaggs - he's just so f'kin' smooth.:worship:

Dude !! I can't get the "Lido Shuffle" out of my head since I read this post. Great choice. I don't own any of his stuff, but I can recall five songs by him on the radio when I was young. He had a super cool vibe. I might have to look his stuff up.

Bryant

Yea!! Boz Scaggs! Indeed very good. I really like him. :)

Bryant

If you want to investigate him, I'd start with 'Silk Degrees'. If you like that move on to 'Down Two Then Left', 'Middle Man' or 'Slow Dancer' - those are some of my favorites from him.

Just like my interest in metal, my non metal leanings are just as odd. Some of my favorite most listened to non metal bands/ artists that have passed the test of time are....
James McMurtry, Slade, John Prine, Oscar Brand, Smokie, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Al Stewart, Lyle Lovett, Bod Dylan, Angel City, Rubber City Rebels, 999, Cashman & West, Horslips, C.C.R., Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler, The Pogues, The Men They Couldn't Hang, Flogging Molly, John Hiatt, Jimmy Buffett, Dropkick Murphys, Webb Wilder, Tom Waits, Dead Kennedys, Sparks, Boomtown Rats, Social D, Ramones, Tonio K, Richard Thompson/ Fairport Convention, Leonard Cohen, Nektar, Johnny Winter - --- Lots of other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I don't find these odd! A lot of these bands/artists are amongst my favorites, namely Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan, Dire Straits, Richard Thompson, and the mighty...mighty Leonard Cohen. His early albums are untouchable for atmosphere...and his writing is legendary. Did you know Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello are touring together right now? I'm really hoping they come through SF, but Bob changes openers often, and so EC might not be with the tour long enough.

blues
R&B
southern & midwestern rock (would that be country western rock? lol)
hardrock (not fucking "classic" rock)
old progressive rock
old school jazz fusion

If you want to investigate him, I'd start with 'Silk Degrees'. If you like that move on to 'Down Two Then Left', 'Middle Man' or 'Slow Dancer' - those are some of my favorites from him.

I appreciate the info. I have added it to my "listen to" list which is quite long, but it is not forgotten by any means.... especially considering the style of music. I need some more classic stuff.

Bryant

For me:

Some dance stuff like Project Pitchfork, Assemblage 23...
Industrial: KMFDM, Rammstain...
Electronic: Syrian, Technophobia
Classic: Kind Crimson, Pink Floyd, Zep, Jethro Tull
Other: Dead Can Dance, Nest, Tenhi, Of The Wand and the Moon

Lots more but it's early Monday morning...

The Wiggles, Disney Tunes, Hannah Montana and thats only when I'm with my lovely little daughter.:)
Other than that its Metal all the time for me!

i don't see how non-metal music would be a guilty pleasure... most people would say its the other way around! :lol:

But we ARE NOT most people, we are metalheads! :headbang: Hence the topic, what outisde metal makes your day.