dark/serious non-metal music?

it pretty much all end with Until Death Overtakes Me, or Fall of the Grey-winged One for me.

Skepticism is very serious music, even though it metal. Few can really enjoy it and keep interested because the music is so colorless...and slow.

SunMontage said:
In Gowan Ring, Changes, Comus, Dargaard, October Falls, Of the Wand and the Moon, Orplid, Sol Invictus, Strength Through Joy

good taste. suprising to see these band mention here. i listen to otw&tm and orplid. not dark imo, but some of them are somewhat on the spiritual side.

What I recommend is Neo Folk. There are some really nice artists.
Ulver have an album called "Kveldssanger" and there are other great artists like Tenhi or Ainulindale (very unknown band from France).
Or what about some wave (or whatever) like Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy or The Inchtabokatables?

How dark are you thinking? Some of the old progressive bands took on serious topics (pink floyd, King Crimson, sometimes genesis) as well as some newer bands like radiohead, NIN, skinny puppy, but not all are dark per se. They don't write lighthearted music about girls either. I reccomend animals by pink floyd and the downward spiral by NIN for some dark music that is very rewarding over long periods of time. I still get stuff out of those a year later....

a great french band from the early 90's : :worship: LES TETINES NOIRES... :worship:

I think it's quite hard to find but it's a great catch ! sounds like a post modern cabaret rock'nroll extravaganza and it's quite dark too

albums recommanded :
"Fauvisme et Pense-Bête" (90)
&
"Brouettes" (91)

I'm curious is there anything out there similar to tracks from silent hill, especially their prog rock tracks...

And please don't say portis head...

Albums:

Ulver - Svidd Neger
John Zorn - Kristallnacht

Lots of classical, as others mentioned.

If you're open minded, 'Kristallnacht' is probably one of the darker things around.