Non-Conformity and Metal

AsModEe said:
I ask myself.... can we be in a metal band without having any cause or philosophy? I mean, doing music only for the sake of music? All these satanic and nihilistic stuff start to bother me... don't you guys see that there are other more interesting things in life??
No not really. Nihilism is the basis for the way I think and is my strongest belief, so it kind of important to me. To me, nothing in life is more interesting then studying the deeper layers of life and existance. People who do not do this but merely accept life at face value really don't gain too much respect from me.

If you ask me, the majority of metal fans are just as conformist as the ones they are trying to rebel against. A good example is how pissed off metal fans get when they're favorite band cuts their hair, or plays something that can be categorized under something that isn't metal. Its like, "What???? They're not fitting under our pre-concieved notion of what people like us should be! Fuck them!"

P.S. There is a difference in being different just for the sake of being different, and just happening to be different because you are just being yourself. Hell, I have long hair, and it only has very little to do with the influence of my metal heroes. My long hair helps me look a lot less like a nerd. If you want to imagine what I'm talking about, imagine a teenage Bill Gates. That is why I grew my hair out, to escape THAT. :ill:

Gentleman of the Lake said:
If you ask me, the majority of metal fans are just as conformist as the ones they are trying to rebel against. A good example is how pissed off metal fans get when they're favorite band cuts their hair, or plays something that can be categorized under something that isn't metal. Its like, "What???? They're not fitting under our pre-concieved notion of what people like us should be! Fuck them!"
Your talking about STUPID metal fans, those who don't actually understand what it means to be an artist and progress, stupid people who will never do anything good with their lives, dont make it like this is the majority, cuz there are lots of smart metal fans who listen to the music for better reasons then it being "sic, heavy, br00tal and tr00"

Well obviously everyone listens to metal for different personal reasons. However, I was just trying to figure out what basic reasons apply to the majority of metal fans.

Ginja Ninja, I think they do now in context of America, listening to metal is hardly conforming to any prevailing cultural trend- unless one listens to Godsmack or Distrubed etc.