Metal and Non Metalheads

IronPriest

Mar 1, 2007
St. Petersburg Florida
I'm wondering how some of you are when it comes to sharing your music with someone that knows nothing about Metal. I have a constant battle in which I don't know why I persue sometimes. At work I'll play my music and I eventually get into a discussion where I have to defend Metal from the Non Metal heads. In one hand I like to try and expose them to the music I love and open their eyes and bit and let them know that it's not just noise. But in the other hand I also don't want the same lame-o that just got done playing 50 Cent in his car switching over to Iron Maiden either... It's like I want to prove them wrong but at the same time I'm selfish and think they are unworthy of listening to this music.

Do you guys get what I'm saying? Do you have simular feelings or do you not even try to deal with Non Metal Heads? :kickass:

I dont try and persuade anyone to listen to metal. I reckon rap and hip-hop is total bollocks but if someone listens to it I dont care. Its only if they try and make me like it, then ill punch them.

you know there are more options than shitty mainstream music and metal and just because someone doesnt like metal doesnt mean they need 'converting'

Iron Maiden is not that much less mainstream than 50 Cent anyway, depending on what country you are in. Metalhead elitism is quite stupid really and I don't partake in it in any way.

As for how I deal with sharing my music with someone: I don't. I keep my music taste to myself pretty much. A few people at work have deduced from my long hair and T-shirts that I probably listen to something noisy and occasionally make jokes about that and that's about it. I don't really see the point in trying to explain the scope of my musical interests to people who don't share that interest at all and cannot really accurately place it. It'd be the same as one of my colleagues who's totally into fishing going on and on about how he caught some huge fish with this new bait and blah blah blah (not that he ever does that, but just for argument's sake). I'm sure he finds it very exciting but A) I don't have a clue what he's talking about and B) I don't care about it at all. Same goes for my passion for music.

you know there are more options than shitty mainstream music and metal and just because someone doesnt like metal doesnt mean they need 'converting'

True, Like I said I don't know why I try sometimes. But for some reason I have to try and justify and defend this music all the time, like I'm in some battle that doesn't exist... maybe I'm just a loser. lol

I don't talk about my taste or try and force things on people. I just let people into rap/hip hop look like dipshits and take the attention away from everyone.

Iron Maiden is not that much less mainstream than 50 Cent anyway, depending on what country you are in. Metalhead elitism is quite stupid really and I don't partake in it in any way.

As for how I deal with sharing my music with someone: I don't. I keep my music taste to myself pretty much. A few people at work have deduced from my long hair and T-shirts that I probably listen to something noisy and occasionally make jokes about that and that's about it. I don't really see the point in trying to explain the scope of my musical interests to people who don't share that interest at all and cannot really accurately place it. It'd be the same as one of my colleagues who's totally into fishing going on and on about how he caught some huge fish with this new bait and blah blah blah (not that he ever does that, but just for argument's sake). I'm sure he finds it very exciting but A) I don't have a clue what he's talking about and B) I don't care about it at all. Same goes for my passion for music.

Your right about Iron Maiden, but I was just throwing that band out there. I agree with what you said but do you think Music plays a larger role in the general public lives rather than Fishing or golf, and with that said most people would have a greater interest in it and willing to take the time to listen to other stuff.

I have those kind of feelings too. Sure I want people to understand metal, but at the same time I feel a sense of superiority that I have this music for myself while everyone else is enslaved to the mainstream.

Some people will never "get" metal or even accept it, so I don't bother to push my music onto others. I think it's something that you can't push onto people...

I don't want my friends forcing me to listen to music I don't like, so why the fuck should I be such a pretentious snob and force my beliefs on them? I'm not saying I've never played anything for them and that I never talk about it, but I don't pretend that what I'm saying it important to them or that my musical taste is superior to theirs.

What it all comes down to is ITS JUST MUSIC!

The average music listener does not care about the music they listen to as much as the average metalhead does.

Music should not define you AT ALL. If it does you are a moron, plain and simple.

Superiority? that's just pathetic.

You're not showing anyone "the light" so get over yourself.

I can't believe what this thread is promoting. You guys are smarter than this.

Grow Up. :bah:

I'm not trying to convinc anybody to listen to metal. It is good to have many friends with simillar music tastes but on the other hand sometimes I am afraid that metal will get very popular and we won't be listening to an exceptional music anymore. I like to have metal for myself I kind of like the fact that my friends don't see the the greatness of metal music.

Why would I force music upon others when I know they won't like it nine out of ten times? It just is a futile effort and not something I really care to do.

I listen to plenty of non-metal, enjoy much of it as much as I enjoy metal - so I do have plenty to discuss with these "lame-o" people you see as such a problem.

So your CDs are going to become worse if more people listened to them?

Haha...

Usually I play a couple tracks for someone that isn't into metal if I think that perhaps they might like it. Unfortunately, people that listen to rap don't have much in common with metal music, so there's really not much to recommend to them. For people that listen to classical, jazz, and possibly even country there is metal out there they will probably like.

So your CDs are going to become worse if more people listened to them?

No, I just don't want metal to become a common thing for people. It wouldn't have been worse. Do you want metal to become something typical, I mean your your musical taste is superior to others right?

I mean your your musical taste is superior to others right?

What the hell makes you think that? Because you have special access and knowledge to shit that's limited to 666 copies?

Haha...

Usually I play a couple tracks for someone that isn't into metal if I think that perhaps they might like it. Unfortunately, people that listen to rap don't have much in common with metal music, so there's really not much to recommend to them. For people that listen to classical, jazz, and possibly even country there is metal out there they will probably like.

For some reason, my friends that listen to rap tend to like the drums.