Should older metalheads...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. This post is almost 3 months old. Haha.

Anyways exactly. Liking metal for a year shouldn't make somebody a poser. Poser by definition is one who listens to it for the sake of being cool. People might assume because metal is popular these days but among the masses getting into in flames and such, some may evolve and understand metal. In this case help the person expand their horizons in metal. If someone is serious and not listening to just follow the crowd i think we should help them out with becoming more knowledgable in metal. I'll admit myself i'm still not some metal guru who knows all there is to know, but i understand and feel things in metal which attracts me to the music.

I am with serial killer here.

Every nu-metal/newbie fan I educate and introduce to real kick ass metal bands throws away their nu-metal CDs in a matter of weeks. THey then go for the good stuff and never look back!
ex-there was this kid with the slipknot, etc patches on his jacket who was near a friend of mine and myself talking about the bands we were really digging on as of late. The kid asked us who these bands were..and we told him. He had never heard of Emperor, Morbid Angel, etc..heck, he had no idea who Judas Priest was, and how important they are!
He was shocked to learn that Metal was more than Ozzy and nu-metal. He got out a pad and wrote down the names of CDs we suggested, and we gave him a warning-this stuff was faster, harder, and just more agressive in general.
A few months later we saw him again-nary ONE nu metal patch on his jacket! He talked to us and said that nu-metal sucked and was weak. He loved all the stuff we introduced to him, and he was going online looking for more.

One less nu-metal/crap rock fan in the world is NOT a bad thing!

Yes, I know the elitists will bitch and moan, but the only way we are going to get a new generation of Metalheads beyond the few who find it themselves is to convert them.

I am almost 31, started on metal when I was 13. I by chance heard a band that just kicked ass, and I asked who they were-instead of being a asshole elitist, the dude said "Madien man!". He then played Priest shortly after, then Slayer, Megadeth, etc..

I am going to be like that dude and spread real metal!

I know exactly how you feel, living in the same state and all. In retrospect I have no doubt that I would have benefited greatly from knowing someone into any form of hard rock(my parents are into the typical pre-hippie era crap like The Beatles, and a lot of teen idol bullshit like neil diamond along with folk), during early school years I played the trumpet so I gained a liking for classical(strangely enough I can remember competing with other kids to see who could play the fastest and hardest stuff haha how metal is that \m/). anyways fast forward a few years, I discovered metallica and thought that was fairly cool stuff, at the same time though I was getting into stuff like Marilyn Manson NIN and Ministry and that started the roots of my love for industrial and industrial metal. Than I got into stuff like KMFDM, Rammstein, Fear Factory, Chemlab, Throbbing Gristle... I bought some magazine because they had a fear factory interview and I saw a story on Dimmu Borgir(who I still love to this day) as well as Susperia. I went online to check out Susperia who I absolutely hated, I checked out Dimmu and at first I absolutely despised the grim vocals but loved the range of the clean vocals, that led me to Opeth and than from there I met my current friends who were into Cannibal Corpse(they still haven't progressed past that point sadly). Now although I still like a number of the more popular extreme bands I get a lot of expirimental stuff like Maudlin of The Well/Kayo Dot, Unexpect, Axis of Perdition, Aborym, Summoning, Void of Silence, Lykathea Aflame... etc

If someone thinks they're better because they, in their own opinion, listen to better music, then that someone has some fucked up logic. Of course people who like Metal should help people who are trying to find new bands.

Just think, before you know it you'll be a jaded 19-year-old who's heard the fastest of hyperblasts, the most seething of growls, and long ago stopped being frightened by really ugly noisecore, and that's when you become a huge fan of cold-ass Nordic chill-tronica and whatnot and constantly listen to Röyksopp and Sigur Ros and start loving anything involving Björk... this is your future, my boy, and it's very scary.

Of course, the reverse situation is also true.

Anyway, to all you elitists out there, stay elitist, or better yet, get more elitist, because that's part of the attraction of metal.

Haha...no... maybe the attraction for some people is to be an elitist so they have some validation, but it certainly is not a 'plus' for Metal.

Dodens Grav said:
If someone thinks they're better because they, in their own opinion, listen to better music, then that someone has some fucked up logic. Of course people who like Metal should help people who are trying to find new bands.
Haha...no... maybe the attraction for some people is to be an elitist so they have some validation, but it certainly is not a 'plus' for Metal.
Have I told you that I love you?

What's wrong with Metal unity? Metal in general is underground, so I'd think sharing good music with other people means less nu metal...

I myself, am only 14.... I used to listen to nu metal. Ahh yes, I remember my introduction to rock was at a very young age, probably when I was 10 or so, I remember hearing the likes of Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers on my brothers stereo. I eventually ended up liking more agressive music... so I listened to Linkin Park for a while... shamefull, isnt it? And Also got into the early Nirvana shit, Bleach, that CD was total fucking grunge.

I wasnt nearly satisfied though, so I checked out Metallica on Kazaa. I'd already heard some songs like Master of Puppets, and Sad But True... but when I first heard Ride the Lightning and Seek and Destroy, I was thinking... this shit is awesome, its fucking intense... So my path for Metal continued. I heard about alot of bands, Like Children Of Bodom and Amon Amarth online. Then, I checked out bands that were already Famous, like Sabbath, Iron Maiden, a little Priest, etc. Other, older Metalheads have gotten me into shit like Megadeth, Pantera, etc.

So really if it werent for filesharing, I probably wouldnt be such a fuckin metal head. But I am, and I've been listening to metal for about 2 years, and I'm open to new stuff... I have a really short list of bands I like, and really need someone to open me up to more stuff.

Metal Bands I already know I like alot:

Metallica
Children Of Bodom
Amon Amarth
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Megadeth
Pantera

(There are other bands I like somewhat, but not enough to list em All).

Thats my Pathetically short list. Of course, Your saying, well Priest and Sabbath should be on there. I'd like recomendations, but I already know about bands that famous, and I'm planning on buying some of their shit... so dont kill me for not owning any Sabbath CD's yet.

I've listened to metal for a LONG time, but I've never seemed to develop that whole elitist thing. Now, I'm twenty-eight, and due to my fortunate location, I was able to follow the black metal and Gothenburg scene's development first-hand. But for some reason, I've never really discovered the underground bands. If you pop into VVVVV's DC++ hub, you can see my album list for yourself.

I'm counting myself lucky that I have an uncle that was really into metal since it all began (Sabbath), so I got some really good advice. My metal interest wasn't really sparked until Master of Puppets was released, when I was ten. My uncle bought it for me. :) I listened to that album together with Ride the Lightning, Powerslave and Reign in Blood for about two years before I got a job delivering newspapers so that I could expand my collection.

I still remember how entranced I was when i first heard Hammerheart back in 1990. When I discovered Darkthrone and Emperor in '92, I thought I would never listen to anything else ever again. Then I heard Dark Tranquillity's Skydancer and At Gates's The Red in the Sky is Ours in '93. Everything changed again when I heard Load in '96.

I think you're on the right track, ShadowofDeath. At least you're commited, it would seem. And if you need advice, you can always ask this old goofer, although my taste is a lot different from the other elitists on these boards.

ShadowOfDeath said:
People might assume because metal is popular these days but among the masses getting into in flames and such, some may evolve and understand metal. In this case help the person expand their horizons in metal.
"Metal" bands like In Flames and Slipknot are having a huge effect on the listening habbits of the general public (mostly impressionable teens and such). If one in every five of those kids decide to delve deeper and get into extreme metal, the extreme metal fanbase population will probably triple, and the scene's will flood.

Forward thinking here of course. Just a thought.

RideForVengance said:
What's wrong with Metal unity? Metal in general is underground, so I'd think sharing good music with other people means less nu metal...

I myself, am only 14.... I used to listen to nu metal. Ahh yes, I remember my introduction to rock was at a very young age, probably when I was 10 or so, I remember hearing the likes of Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers on my brothers stereo. I eventually ended up liking more agressive music... so I listened to Linkin Park for a while... shamefull, isnt it? And Also got into the early Nirvana shit, Bleach, that CD was total fucking grunge.

I wasnt nearly satisfied though, so I checked out Metallica on Kazaa. I'd already heard some songs like Master of Puppets, and Sad But True... but when I first heard Ride the Lightning and Seek and Destroy, I was thinking... this shit is awesome, its fucking intense... So my path for Metal continued. I heard about alot of bands, Like Children Of Bodom and Amon Amarth online. Then, I checked out bands that were already Famous, like Sabbath, Iron Maiden, a little Priest, etc. Other, older Metalheads have gotten me into shit like Megadeth, Pantera, etc.

So really if it werent for filesharing, I probably wouldnt be such a fuckin metal head. But I am, and I've been listening to metal for about 2 years, and I'm open to new stuff... I have a really short list of bands I like, and really need someone to open me up to more stuff.

Metal Bands I already know I like alot:

Metallica
Children Of Bodom
Amon Amarth
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Megadeth
Pantera

(There are other bands I like somewhat, but not enough to list em All).

Thats my Pathetically short list. Of course, Your saying, well Priest and Sabbath should be on there. I'd like recomendations, but I already know about bands that famous, and I'm planning on buying some of their shit... so dont kill me for not owning any Sabbath CD's yet.

Ahh dont listen to the elitists (except the cool ones who are not stuck up)... most of them are compensating for being no one's in High School or in life (hell alot of them are still in High School probably getting there asses kicked by the Elitists of the school such as jocks etc.. watch them come out and flame me for saying such things lol thats how you know which ones they are) .... as for them or non elitists putting you down for only being into metal 1 or 2 years... just remember that those idiots at one time were Noobs themselves and im sure they were chastised as well (and like you said they probably listened to Nu-Metal back then.. rarely do people hear true metal first before any other music genre's)... so if you find a elitist who happens to be nice enough to show you what is out there in terms of bands count yourself lucky.. steer away from the asshole ones who hold themselves up on a high pedestal while everyone else around them know there losers.. they are usually very lonely people and being a high and mighty elitist makes them feel better aobut themselves.. the ones who tell you do your own research usually say that because they dont want to be looked down upon by other elitists but I wouldn't be surprised that quietly they had wished that someone had helped them out when they wanted to learn about metal... me myself im 32 and have been into metal since the age of 11 or 12.. i searched it out myself personally but along the way i met cool people that helped me out as well.. and since im in a very metropolitan area its no big deal finding magazines and hard to find CD's/tapes before the Net became commercial.. but believe me alot of these young metalhead such as yourself have no idea how good and how easy you have it when it comes to finding information... I just wish the Net was around when i first started getting into metal.. I dont go for that : " If i do my own research and dont ask for any help then im a "true" fan and im better then anyone else" ... that is just BS plain and simple... if that were true they wouldn't be on here making recommendation threads, haul lists, etc.. etc.. to their fellow elitists.. don't be a hyprocrite and like you said: "do your own research then if you are "true" elitists"... they say one thing but usually do another thing lol thats the funny part... anyways Shadow just go through the forums and threads and chat with the people who are helpful.. all others just ignore... two that I think are very helpful to others on this forum are Doden Gray and AnonymousNick... among others that slip my mind at the moment... so as for Sabbath and Priest my list is below on what you might want to start off with .. then you can explore there other stuff ... for magazines go to Barnes & Noble (Metal Maniacs Magazine) or Tower Records (Metal Maniacs, Anvil and a whole bunch of fanzines for metal music as well as other metal magazines).... :wave:

Sabbath

Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Volume 4., Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules ( I don't have any of their 80's or 90's stuff but ones that were recommended to me are Reborn & Dehumanizer)..

Priest

Sad Wings of Destiny,British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith ( I havent realy listened to their later stuff much so you'll have to ask others for recommendations)

I suppose not Nick lol .... I already knew he would take offense to anything i say... the forum is a tyranny anyways... oh well ::: yawn ::: ... anyways is that you and your son Nick? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.