Metal and Non Metalheads

I either spam people a song I really love at the moment, or I try just to send stuff I think might be accessable to them, stuff sorta like what they already like, or something they're curious about looking into.

Technical virtuosity has essentially zero appeal to me regarding music. If anything I listen to exemplifies a high technical proficiency, it's merely coincidental because I find the actual compositions themselves and the atmosphere that it produces to be sound.

I like both..... then again, I consider the arrangement of notes in to a form that's pleasing ( whether it's haunting, chugging, violent, beautiful, ugly w/e) very much an excellent display of technical skill.

I don't care that much for technical skill, at times I will definitely be impressed by say, solid or fast skilled drumming, great guitar solos but it depends on the type of music, and what I'm looking for. For me, the music as a whole is what means most, not a level of skill.

I strongly dislike technical death metal or music that puts far too much emphasis on technicality. It doesn't at all interest me, and I often find it boring. A band like Psyopus just isn't my thing.

I don't care that much for technical skill, at times I will definitely be impressed by say, solid or fast skilled drumming, great guitar solos but it depends on the type of music, and what I'm looking for. For me, the music as a whole is what means most, not a level of skill.

I strongly dislike technical death metal or music that puts far too much emphasis on technicality. It doesn't at all interest me, and I often find it boring. A band like Psyopus just isn't my thing.
Psyopus and Beneath the massacre both bore me.

i do it all the time to try and convert them to metal. that way theres more people for me to talk metal with.

but to do that the person youre trying to introduce to metal has to already listen to a music somewhat similar so theyre ready for the brutality. for example, someone who enjoys screamo and hardcore and what not are a lot easier to convert, whereas people who listen shit like rap and acoustic alt stuff, theres no chance of it...

you also have to start with less intense metal first before you head to death metal and more intense stuff. i usually introduce someone to bands like dragonforce and blind guardian and the rest falls into place. glam metal also works quite well, ive found LA guns is quite a crowd pleaser

I wouldn't say no chance of it. A lot of my friends and I are very open minded about music and appreciate talent whether it's a death metal band or a guy playing the acoustic guitar. But I do agree if they're listening to pop and rap then they aren't likely to enjoy metal.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

I have a story of amazing success.

So my brother used to despise metal, listened to stuff like Modest Mouse, Neko Case, that type of deal. I could dig his music, so I could never diss it, while he'd be raggin on my music. I started playing my stuff that caught him in inescapable situations, so he first started to dig powermetal, Mainly Hammerfall and Dragonforce, and I slowly progressed to the heavy stuff, now he digs Belphegor a whole lot, Mastodon, Type O Negative, some Cannibal Corpse, but I still have to get him to REALLY accept deathmetal, but I'm on my way.

Whenever I play metal for people who aren't into it I try to play them some of the stuff that I think is the most interesting music to come out of the metal genre. I hang out with intelligent people so they usually acknowledge the talent and creativity in the music but they don't always get into it. That's fine; I don't really feel the need to convert anybody. I have converted a few people though. I got one of my best friends into black metal, but that guy has good taste in music anyway.

I just sent a friend Hammers Of Misfortune - The Bastard. We'll see how that turns out.

pretty much everybody I have ever shown any metal in the gym to has loved it

I showed this dude who barely listens to any metal some behemoth and suffocation, and he was fuckin loving it.

Overall, I think metal would be much more popular if A) it didn't have the bullshit image behind it and B) people had more exposure to it in terms of the general public

hell, the other day I showed some girl some control denied and symphony X, and she liked it alot. People just don't hear much of it anywhere, they buy into the bullshit stereotypes about the genre and the fans or they hear 3 seconds of cannibal corpse and assume that all of metal sounds like that.

I have a story of amazing success.

So my brother used to despise metal, listened to stuff like Modest Mouse, Neko Case, that type of deal. I could dig his music, so I could never diss it, while he'd be raggin on my music. I started playing my stuff that caught him in inescapable situations, so he first started to dig powermetal, Mainly Hammerfall and Dragonforce, and I slowly progressed to the heavy stuff, now he digs Belphegor a whole lot, Mastodon, Type O Negative, some Cannibal Corpse, but I still have to get him to REALLY accept deathmetal, but I'm on my way.

LOL, Yeah I've been trying to convert my Brother for years!!! I usually don't force my music on anyone but since he's my Brother and we grew up listening to music together I wanted him to understand Metal cause that's were him and I grew apart in music.

I tried playing some easier stuff Blind Guardian and Iced Earth...Man he made fun of it all the time..which is kind of easy actually I did the same thing you know Blind Guardian and all its.. .WIZARDS AND GOBLINS, MORDOR AND THE HOBITS...kind of an easy target but last time I was home...it finally started to click with him...AFTER 7 YEARS!!! He asked me to play something really heavy and I put Vital Remains Dechristianized for him cause it had those few melodic parts in the song...HE LIKED IT!!!

I got goose bumps, I don't know why but it was cool, I want him to like my music cause I brings me a lot of joy and I just wanted to share that with him...it was cool.

I don't want my friends forcing me to listen to music I don't like, so why the fuck should I be such a pretentious snob and force my beliefs on them? I'm not saying I've never played anything for them and that I never talk about it, but I don't pretend that what I'm saying it important to them or that my musical taste is superior to theirs.

AMEN!! :headbang: :worship: :kickass: