Should older metalheads...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Nu-metal gave some of the worst bands in history like Linkin Park and Papa Roach but hair/glam metal was pretty shitty too.

MURAI said:
I was a nu-metal fan 4-5 years ago with little knowledge about heavy metal and I was made fun of that by experienced ones. At least I was not the type of guy that got into anything popular at the time to look hip. Eventually I got what its all about and now I know most of the respected, established bands. Funny thing is some of the older ones into heavy metal might of made fun of me but they probably were just like me earlier and some older metal fans might of made fun of them. Heavy metal is like a small conservative group with its fans liking to stick to tradition and older bands instead of getting into newer bands. And not everyone is welcomed to join this group.
We all start somewhere. Hell i was into nu-metal a year before getting into true metal. Sadly i also listened to linkin park back then. They just came out at the time and i heard about them and liked them. Glad that didn't last long.

J. said:
I generally don't help newbies, because 90% of the time they are scenesters, who are a plague upon metal. They should do their own research instead of asking seasoned metal fans what to listen to. For a lot of metal fans, the internet wasn't even invented when they started out, so is it so wrong to assume that newbies should have to actually work to find out about bands?
Word of mouth is the best way to find out what to listen to. That comment is idiotic. Metal isn't a treasure hunt.

The distinction I'm sure you actually intended to draw was that where people start forming opinions based upon what these 'seasoned metal fans' have told them. That is, where they can't actually figure out what they do and don't like for themselves.

However, the irony in this is a large percentage of elitists seem to just regurgitate things they read on anus.com or hear from other elitists.

In response to the topic, this whole forum structure and other communities or p2p networks, whatever they may be, all directly/indirectly provide you with the 'help' you are looking for. You may not have people neccessarily saying 'go listen to this or that ...' but you will be eternally inundated with favourite bands and album threads or see messages about what bands have been getting praise of late.

If you are just looking for validation or approval of your credibility here and in other arenas, then you are wasting your time and should just move on.

crimsonfloyd said:
Well I'm often an asshole and don't share my music with others, mostly cuz I don't think they're worth it. I try not to judge people so much on the music they listen to (cuz all styles have thier fair share of idiots as fans) but rather thier attitude towards music. If they're like "D00d Emperor pwnz!" then I'm not gonna tell them about any other bands, they are the type of scum I hate seeing at concerts and hate having to deal with on message boards. If they like the band for good reasons (their expressions of strength/power, their use of musical theory or whatever) then I'll share other bands with them. So yeah I'm an elitest, but I see nothing wrong with keeping the number of fools infesting the "scene" to a minimum...
Yup... exactly. Except that I try to help idiots understand the value of real metal, and realize the stupidity and worthlessness of the music they listen to. That usualy turns into a drunken argument though. I just hate the "it's good because I like it" approach to taste.

ShadowOfDeath said:
I'm 13 and been into it for 2 years.
Fucken aye mate. Keep up the good work.

The Grim Rhino said:
...and start loving anything involving Björk...

Mmmmm...Björk. :Spin: Where was I? Oh yeah... :D

I don't see anything wrong with helping the younger kids on their quest for Metal. I've been listening to some form of "Metal" (Power, Thrash, Black, Death, Nu-, etc.) since I was 6 years old when I was introduced to Kiss, and later, Deep Purple (in 1977, apart from Black Sabbath, this was about as heavy as you could find). I'm 33 and I still enjoy hearing new Metal bands.

However, unlike you, I was fortunate in that I was in an area of southern California that we had good access to Metal bands of many a stripe, as well as a decent local scene (nevermind the Glam crap that seemingly was being manufactured like so many cookies coming off the Keebler assembly line up in Hell A :yuk: - Slayer and Metallica ultimately started in Orange County). We didn't have stuff like the internet and the technology for CDs was about 2 years away. My friends and I traded tapes and we were more than willing to help each other find new bands.

We also had access to all-ages shows as well as several locally located venues that would bring in all manner of national and local acts and it was THERE that I would find many of the Metal bands that I got into.

Good luck in your quest and remember the words of Hunter S. Thompson if anyone gives you any shit about you being a newbie to the Metal scene... "Don't take any guff from these swine!" :wave:

I'm 17, I started listening to metal when I was 13. As with Murai, I started off with nu metal and listening to slipknot got me interested in the interested in the darker more extreme side of music. I bought my first Inflames album, Colony and it got me hooked and my taste in metal has since progressed...weirdly over the years. I stopped listening to Slipknot(some songs are decent though, yes I will be flamed for this).

I found out about Inflames because some Slipknot fans introduced me to them. I then started researching about the bands that Inflames tours with, swedishmetal.net was my first source of info. Then I started getting into way way way more bands. From Arch Enemy, I got introduced to this forum about 3 years back. I then found out about the Opeth forum as well(I already was listening to Opeth at that time). And from then, I got band recommendations from the champs from here at UM. Now I'm going to metal-archives and finding out the more "elitist" bands. I don't post there, to avoid conflict because I can't be bothered arguing with people.

Metalheads should help one another...I can see what J. and the rest are saying...they don't like the scenesters. I don't like them either, which is why I try to avoid talking to them. I imagine, when you start out listening to metal, research by yourself...I know it's hard, but it does pay off...And it's self gratification...:)

Warlord Of Death said:
why can't you find them your own damn self. Whining about elitism and how elitists are pricks isn't gonna get you anywhere. I don't have to help anyone, and this metalhead unity crap is bullshit.

Elitists =/= Pricks

Just elitists who spend every day trying to harass you are such.

And in the beginning that's what i did. But sometimes it's better for me to be recommended shit. So i know what i'm up against. Example: A lot of people i know, some with almost exact interests in metal used to always tell me to stay away from manowar. When i did listen to manowar i saw why. Their songs annoy me a bit.

crimsonfloyd said:
Well I'm often an asshole and don't share my music with others, mostly cuz I don't think they're worth it. I try not to judge people so much on the music they listen to (cuz all styles have thier fair share of idiots as fans) but rather thier attitude towards music. If they're like "D00d Emperor pwnz!" then I'm not gonna tell them about any other bands, they are the type of scum I hate seeing at concerts and hate having to deal with on message boards. If they like the band for good reasons (their expressions of strength/power, their use of musical theory or whatever) then I'll share other bands with them. So yeah I'm an elitest, but I see nothing wrong with keeping the number of fools infesting the "scene" to a minimum...

I do that to be short or if i just got into the band but usually i can say why i think a band is good or sucks when asked.

polarity said:
I advise ShadowOfDeath to stop listening to metal and start listening to emo :)

heh, i'm an emotional person(OMG an emotional metalhead, what will we do?) and could see myself doing such but i hate the whining and the acoustic guitars that sound like crap so i tend not to enjoy emo.

Hello, ShadowofDeath.

This one will be my first post in those forums, and I'm glad I read yours soon 'cause I'd like to tell you some stuff:

Hey, don't worry. There's certain kind of people in all areas of existence whose need to feel that their ground is exclusive and not for everyone, perhaps to make them feel that they are unique and unreachable. I'm 27 now, but when I started listening metal I was 9. I live in Mexico City; by that time this was a DEAD LAND concerning metal music and merchandise in general. There were some interesting magazines (only L.A. sprayed-haired magazines by the way) and they were ridicously expensive and hard to find. A ¨nice people¨store comercialized them mainly. This store (called Sanborns) was the place where I kept stand up for HOURS, 4 days a week, in front of their mags kiosko just to read reviews and notices from the metal world. I could not buy them, of course, because of their price, but during those sessions I memorized lists of discographies and bandmembers. As I had no money either to buy records, I used to tape a metal radio show. When a song amazed me, I saved money (from my lunch too!) to buy the album. Of course my mamma didn't like it ;).

Tape tradings and bootlegs came later, when I had a little more age to go to a legendary ambulant market here in Mexico City that specializes in "revolting" and underground music, called "Chopo". Well, I was like 10 y.o. when I first visited this magic place. I was excited because finally I was going to have access to tapes and merchandise of my music! But then, at the entrance, a big imponent punk grunged at me: "Rrrrh, this is not a kindergarden!" This insolence was an example of the insensibility towards age I was going to face for years...

Yeah, there were (and I think will always be) insulting people which didn't give a damn about how many acknowledgement I had of metal, or my views about a band. These dorks just shaked their long hairs and ignored me 'cause I was underaged and they were oh-so-seventeen. But then I grew up, and I found out that there were fortunately a lot of oter cool and kind people which used to find cool a girl with such musical preferences. Don't get angry you with these people! Maybe some of them wish they had your dedication when they were 13 ;).

You wrote about you being pointed with questions about metal to "test" your knowledge, to check if you are worthy of the logia. Well, this is an aspect of the general metal scene that displeases me the most. What the hell one has to prove anything to anyone! Not even to your parents! (well, exceptions to every case applies) Metal is about being YOU and follow yourself if you think you're doing the right way, NOT about compare yourself with the encyclopedia other metalhead might have on his / her brain! Of course, this genre of music (like perhaps all genres of non-mass-media music) has thousands of really music-fans who care every aspect of what they listen: the tracks, the band, the booklet design, the producer, the tourdates, the structures of the song, the lyrics, etc. etc. And trading and discussing this info is a great source of pleasure for those who listen metal, including me. But other thing is confronting knowledge to check who's more metal than the other. Childish! The attitude here is the important thing.

Well, Shadow. I wrote a lot, but you seem to not care of large writings :). Hope what I said helped you in some way. And don't get (so) angry: you're on the right way!

Lux Perpetua.

Bereaved said:
I think older metal heads should expose newer metal heads too all the great metal bands that they know instead of being stuck up and elitist about it. I think its important that older metal heads share their experience with metal with the younger kids just getting into it so that the newer metal heads know whats good metal and whats shit. I have a friend whose 2 years older than me but has been listening to metal for a lot longer than me and knows a lot more about it than I do. Hes always been showing me different bands that I would have never found on my own and its exposed me to a lot of great metal. And I know that when he was younger he had a lot of older friends that did the same for him, showed him good bands and that kind of stuff. I think thats how it should be. Instead of putting someone down for their lack of metal knowledge you should teach them what you know and show them whats good. Ive been listening to metal and playing the style on guitar for over 3 years now and I still have a lot to learn about it and a lot of bands to discover, but if it werent for my friends that got me into good metal, Id still be listening to shit like Korn...I shudder to think that I ever liked that band...
I agree I've been into metal for 15 years now its apart of my life its like my religon. I think that o.g.s like myself outa guide the noobs insted of tellin them to fuck off, because its all about the music if sombody shares your intrest add on to it dont call them a poser because they just got into it last year or whatnot. remember you guys are the future after I'm to old to be goin to gigs and rockin out with my band your generations gonna puttin out the cds that ill be listening to an dont want them to suck :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.