Metal and Non Metalheads

What I wanted to know was, is there other people that would try to share this type of music with others that are not familar with it, or would they prefer to keep it to themselves, that is all...

One of my great loves is introducing people to new music, but I always try to cater to the person's taste. I certainly don't try to keep music to myself.

No ones music is superior people just listen to music for different reasons.

Pop is simple and repetitive because it's meant to be catchy. Most people who listen to pop listen to it for the lyrics to sing along to, or to dance to. And new pop songs try to make interesting new sounds that people like.

Metal on the other hand people listen mostly for technical ability with instruments. Although it usually starts as just preferring the heavier style of music, metal seems to differ less in terms of style than many other genres. Most metal bands follow the same formula of drums, 2 guitars, and a bass guitar. And although there are lots of bands that change it up, there are plenty of bands that sound almost identical. As a result metal fans usually look deeper into the music and listen to how complex and well composed a song is rather than the overall sound.

It's all what you want to get out of your music, no music is "superior". As for dealing with non-metal heads, if a person is open minded about music I'll usually share some of mine with them, if they don't like it I'll leave them alone. Sometimes other people have interesting new music for me to listen to as well (other friends have gotten me more and more into jazz) and sharing music is awesome when you both are open to new ideas. I once knew a girl who was into pop music, but also appreciated the complexity of classical music, and got her to like various metal bands with clean vocals.

So if you want to share your metal with someone do it because you genuinely think they will enjoy and appreciate it. Not because they listen to "inferior" music and you need to "convert" them.

I rly like letting ppl who hate metal listen to it, because I love to see how they react :lol:

last week at school some of my friends started playing my music because they were kinda interested in it, and one of them started yelling 'noooo, turn it off!', this being a guy who seriously can't believe I don't listen to rap because it's 'ultimate' and everyone does listen to rap and if you don't then you're just not willing to admit it...
I like forcing him to listen to it :lol:

Otherwise I'll just play music because I like to listen to it, not because I think someone else might...

Pop is simple and repetitive because it's meant to be catchy. Most people who listen to pop listen to it for the lyrics to sing along to, or to dance to. And new pop songs try to make interesting new sounds that people like.

Metal on the other hand people listen mostly for technical ability with instruments. Although it usually starts as just preferring the heavier style of music, metal seems to differ less in terms of style than many other genres. Most metal bands follow the same formula of drums, 2 guitars, and a bass guitar. And although there are lots of bands that change it up, there are plenty of bands that sound almost identical. As a result metal fans usually look deeper into the music and listen to how complex and well composed a song is rather than the overall sound.

It's all what you want to get out of your music, no music is "superior". As for dealing with non-metal heads, if a person is open minded about music I'll usually share some of mine with them, if they don't like it I'll leave them alone. Sometimes other people have interesting new music for me to listen to as well (other friends have gotten me more and more into jazz) and sharing music is awesome when you both are open to new ideas. I once knew a girl who was into pop music, but also appreciated the complexity of classical music, and got her to like various metal bands with clean vocals.

So if you want to share your metal with someone do it because you genuinely think they will enjoy and appreciate it. Not because they listen to "inferior" music and you need to "convert" them.

Agreed, well said.

those certainly arent the reasons i listen to pop or metal ...:/. i think a lot of people here will object to the idea that they listen to metal to hear technical ability.

those certainly arent the reasons i listen to pop or metal ...:/. i think a lot of people here will object to the idea that they listen to metal to hear technical ability.

I disagree, I think it's a common attribute most Metalheads admire about Metal and it's band memebers. Being able to play an instrument at a high level is really almost a prerequisite. Being able to stread, solo, extrememly demanding drums is all signs of that, cool riffs ect...

Think about all the known Guitarist in Metal that are always held at a pedestal... Yngwie, Randy Rhodes, Zack Wylde, Ritchie Blackmore... the list goes on and one and they are all known for their ability to play extremly well.

I'm not saying your wrong for whatever reason YOU listen to metal but I would have to say that a large number of Metalheads appreciate musicianship at it's best.

i said people here, not metalheads as a whole. most people here hate that shred shit and i've seen words to the effect of "technical ability isn't as important as being able to write songs" about a thousand times.

Ok, well You just shut me the fuck up.

...But If I was to try, I'd start out lightly and according to the persons taste.

I do have a friend that listens to alot of Fear Factory ( which by the way is not bad,esp their older stuff) and I played Meshuggah for him and he flipped!

Meshuggah is however a love 'em or hate 'em band and well, He absolutly loves them now.

Now If I were to play Burzum for him, the dude would look at me like I had two heads heh

Yeah I do the same... Even back in middle school when I started getting into more extreme Metal, I didn't like a lot of diferent styles. At first it was Metallica they were my "Gate way" to Metal and as time progressed I got into heavier and heavier styles of Metal...it took time before I could appreciate types like Death and Black metal...even Power Metal was hard for me at first, actaully Power Metal was the last genre that I finally excepted, I tried and tried and just couldn't get into it, then one day it finally clicked with me.

So yeah someone not into Metal at all, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to start with something too extreme.

Metal on the other hand people listen mostly for technical ability with instruments.

I can't speak for the general metal listening public but I highly disagree with that. Technical ability is pretty much the last thing I look for in music (regardless of genre) and infact I find that more often than not it gets in the way of my enjoyment rather than contributing to it.

Music should be purely about artistic and emotional expression (afterall music is art, and I fail to see what art has to do with someone's finger dexterity or stamina). If I want to observe technical ability and proficiency with instruments I'll watch an instructional video.

Technical virtuosity has essentially zero appeal to me regarding music. If anything I listen to exemplifies a high technical proficiency, it's merely coincidental because I find the actual compositions themselves and the atmosphere that it produces to be sound.

One of my great loves is introducing people to new music, but I always try to cater to the person's taste. I certainly don't try to keep music to myself.
Same here.
Catering to the persons taste is key. As someone else mentioned, many so called "metalheads" I will talk to only have the Metallica/Pantera mentality and never venture out of the mainstream metal. If Im having people over for a few beers, the playlist gradually gets heavier. Part of me really wants friends etc. to go "wow that is the coolest shit ive ever heard", which I try to push on them. But if they have a short attention span forget about it. Most people dont have the infinite addiction to metal like I have so its really not even worth trying. I have succeeded with few people by starting them off with Porcupine Tree and now they listen to Opeth and Enslaved, kinda makes you feel like you achieved something really important like the gateway to pure brutality or some shit:lol: :kickass:

I'm aware that there are people who think that way, but I was talking from an objective standpoint. Obviously more people listening to the same music doesn't make the music itself worse, and anyone who changes their opinion on something based on more people listening to it is probably a bit shallow. But of course there are plenty of people who genuinely dislike Metallica, Children Of Bodom, and the like.

I'm aware that there are people who think that way, but I was talking from an objective standpoint. Obviously more people listening to the same music doesn't make the music itself worse, and anyone who changes their opinion on something based on more people listening to it is probably a bit shallow. But of course there are plenty of people who genuinely dislike Metallica, Children Of Bodom, and the like.

For sure, I hear you.