Metal and Non Metalheads

Well, I've told people if they asked me what kind of music I listen to and I'll say Metal, and I'll generally get asked if I like Disturbed, Mudvayne, etc.. and explain death and black if it goes any further and if they want me to I'll let them burn off my death and black CD's but everyone I've done that for has said the music is too extreme for them so it's not for everyone, not that I feel like I'm so special because I listen to it, I'm a little surprised the people into Nu Metal I've introduced to death and black metal has said it was too extreme. I was actually talking to a couple guys in the park Saturday and they knew what death and black metal was and said it was "heavy heavy stuff", I didn't think this music was that extreme. :lol: But I just told them who my favorite death and black bands were and they weren't into it and said they didn't like it but were into Nu Metal instead and a few other kinds.

For some reason, my friends that listen to rap tend to like the drums.

:lol: Same here, and they ALWAYS hate the vocals. But the only time I'll ever make a friend listen to metal is at my house, and I usually limit it to stuff like Maiden and Sabbath though Opeth gets an occasional play (as well as a shit load of metalcore) cause my friends like that shit. The only band I've gotten my friends into is Valkyrie.

What it all comes down to is ITS JUST MUSIC!

The average music listener does not care about the music they listen to as much as the average metalhead does.

Music should not define you AT ALL. If it does you are a moron, plain and simple.

Superiority? that's just pathetic.

You're not showing anyone "the light" so get over yourself.

I can't believe what this thread is promoting. You guys are smarter than this.

Grow Up. :bah:

Agreed, yes Metalheads tend to be more into their music versus someone that listens to pop or whatever. And I also agree that yeah music doesn't define you but I do think music is something more than just music in my opinion or at least in my life.

I don't think I'm better than anyone else just because I listen to a certain band than they do. And I'm not trying to change someones life by showing them the "light" of music either. What I wanted to know was, is there other people that would try to share this type of music with others that are not familar with it, or would they prefer to keep it to themselves, that is all... seems like it started a good discussion, which is the point of this website.

I don't bother trying to introduce anyone into metal...everyone at my school and most of my friends only listen to rap and any form of hip-hop...the only music they have is stuff that they discovered playing on Mtv. Everyone will go around telling everyone how Akon and Eminem are so awesome just because they've heard one song. Now everyone at school is singing the new Avril Lavigne song "Girlfriend" all the time. The only form of rock anyone would know is Billy Talent, which is the only band shirt anyone I know has. Once, some guy said that metal sucks and that rap is way better, so when I tried to explain metal, he would just say that metal is just "banging on instruments and turning the volume up high". So I won't bother trying to get anyone into metal cause they'll just stay liking stupid mainstream hip-hop and singing "Smack That by Akon" all the time...

Personally, I don't care what others listen to. I've never met anyone in my area that is as into metal as I am. A few of my friends listen to metal, mainly through me. They listened to a bit of metal, but I introduced them to black metal and such, to which now they are big fans of. The only time I really encourage someone to check out metal is relatively based on their personality. Some people its obvious they will never listen to death metal - where as my sister who doesn't like metal, she does enjoy some music ie. Burzum's "Filosofem", Dornenreich's "Durch Den Traum" and more atmospheric stuff when she actually gave them a listen.

Not that I'm saying I dislike casual fans necessarily, but I have a lot more respect for people who are actually into the music that they enjoy - even if its a genre I don't care for. It seems like most people in my area who listen to metal are what I would call 'general metalheads' who basically enjoy metal without any real preference. I mainly dislike them to a small extent because it creates room for ignorance. For example, once a guy I knew told me about how Cradle of Filth's drummer was murdered by the rest of the band on stage during a live concert. I hate ignorance.

I am a fan of (older) Cradle of Filth and nothing bothers me more than when I meet a girl, and discuss their music with her and all she can tell me is "zomgz, I love Dani Filth!!1111..and oh, I don't have a favourite album, I've only heard two songs but they are my favourite band!!!1111" :rolleyes:

I show people metal and generally get pretty good responses

it's not a metal elitism thing or "converting" anybody, more just showing people music that they would usually not be exposed to. I have shown people maiden and sabbath and priest, and most people like it. I think it's the image of the genre that people have such a hard time overcoming.

Agreed, yes Metalheads tend to be more into their music versus someone that listens to pop or whatever. And I also agree that yeah music doesn't define you but I do think music is something more than just music in my opinion or at least in my life.

I don't think I'm better than anyone else just because I listen to a certain band than they do. And I'm not trying to change someones life by showing them the "light" of music either. What I wanted to know was, is there other people that would try to share this type of music with others that are not familar with it, or would they prefer to keep it to themselves, that is all... seems like it started a good discussion, which is the point of this website.

Ok, well You just shut me the fuck up.

...But If I was to try, I'd start out lightly and according to the persons taste.

I do have a friend that listens to alot of Fear Factory ( which by the way is not bad,esp their older stuff) and I played Meshuggah for him and he flipped!

Meshuggah is however a love 'em or hate 'em band and well, He absolutly loves them now.

Now If I were to play Burzum for him, the dude would look at me like I had two heads heh

I don't care what other people listen to. Some people just don't "feel" music like some do, and nothing can change that.

I try to be cautious when introducing people who are interested to metal, because I don't want them to have a singular impression of what metal is based on one experiences; that's usually what drives people to hate it. The music doesn't really affect my interaction with people, though, unless I'm talking about it with someone.

my experiences with turning people onto metal have been mostly negative. I tried to get my Megadeth/Metallica loving friend into Celtic Frost. he told me he liked it, but now says he only listened to the CD once.

Music should not define you AT ALL. If it does you are a moron, plain and simple.

I really can't help that considering I have Asperger's/Autism and music DOES kind of define me. its really all I care about. problem is, it puts a hamper on my dating life.

My friends are not really interested in music in general, so I don't try. Its really not a question of whether you are 'worthy' enough or not, anybody can listen to it if they are interested.