Should older metalheads...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowOfDeath

Warrior of Black Metal
Sep 20, 2003
New Hampshire
firec0re.net
Help newer metal heads out? I know there's plenty of people, especially now a days because some metal bands are becoming popular that have to insult any one new to metal. I suffer from that. I've only been into metal for a year and a half to about two years. I'm quite surprised i know as many bands as i do when i had absolutely little to know metal sources. Before i joined this site i spent a year digging for metal. There's absolutely no metal magazines here(only the nu-metal hit paraders and crap). No kids are into metal, just nu-metal in my area. I had no Kazaa. I never heard of soulseek. I could never find metal chat rooms or message boards. I basically had to search for bands at CD stores. Even though for these two years i've known and loved a band that is pretty unknown to a lot of people probably. Whenever i mention them no one comments about them like people do when they hear slayer or such. Yet i'm still insulted for my lack of knowledge. I'm 13 years old and have only listened to metal for 2 years(i don't count the year i was into metallica and a few other publically known metal bands like slayer and everything).

I know this thread is pretty gay and i probably sound like i'm asking for attention or some gay shit but that's not the case. I just get a lot of shit because i'm young and not in my 20's and been into metal for 5-10 years with unlimited access to metal like they all seem to do. I never had a job. I fucking saved lunch money to buy albums, i also take so many risks because i had to look around CD stores for something that sounded like it would be a metal band. Sometimes i ended up wasting $15 i could never get back.

Now that i have more outlets i can learn more bands. I heard about metal-archives by talk on this site, which i only found after long hours of searching and i'm lucky to have. I heard of soulseek through my hiphop friend who i just met this year. I had no friends last year so i was stranded taking a chance with metal, i heard a few bands like opeth, and shit through magazines like guitar world(i've been into guitar as long as metal) and that helped but it's very limited and risking since they consider slipknot metal. If that was last year i would've believed them.

Anyways i get a bunch of shit "oh you just heard of ___________ two days ago" from so called 'elitists'. Well do they expect a 13 year old to have seen Slayer and Venom in '85 or something? I doubt it. People like to make fun of my metal idiocy, especially on fagseek. I know i'm starting to sound like i'm complaining but i'm just trying to lay down some facts. Most people may not agree or may think i'm dumb. Go ahead. Though in a way you're being ignorant. I'm not a metal elitist whatsoever. I know some unknown bands but that was with luck. Hell sometimes i came across them when typing in wrong internet addresses or domains. I found out a band called "Lost Forever" who a few months ago released their first CD before i was even into metal by that. Not many metalheads know them probably either and if they do i doubt they can say back before their album was released, back in their one demo days. So i know some bands but people like to "own" me with asking metal questions that i would not know myself. I don't research bands or read about them often because i tend to just enjoy the music. Luckily i've been helped out here on UM and by a couple people on soulseek. But there's been more bad then good it seems.

Do you think older metal heads should stop being ignorant and help out newer metal heads. If it wasn't for this site i'd suffer the fate i had a year ago. Many other starting metal heads have that problem. A lot of people do or did what i had to do. Look at the 80's with the tape trading scene. People traded tapes or went to stores and risked bands. I am doing the same thing they did.

What are everyone elses opinions? If you want to call me a "gay metal n00b" or whatever go ahead. I really don't care. I just wanted to tell my story as to why i think older metal heads should be more helpful with newer metalheads. People will get no where if you just say "i won't namedrop to fags" all the time. Give newer fans time before automatically turning against them because they don't know all that you do.

I think older metal heads should expose newer metal heads too all the great metal bands that they know instead of being stuck up and elitist about it. I think its important that older metal heads share their experience with metal with the younger kids just getting into it so that the newer metal heads know whats good metal and whats shit. I have a friend whose 2 years older than me but has been listening to metal for a lot longer than me and knows a lot more about it than I do. Hes always been showing me different bands that I would have never found on my own and its exposed me to a lot of great metal. And I know that when he was younger he had a lot of older friends that did the same for him, showed him good bands and that kind of stuff. I think thats how it should be. Instead of putting someone down for their lack of metal knowledge you should teach them what you know and show them whats good. Ive been listening to metal and playing the style on guitar for over 3 years now and I still have a lot to learn about it and a lot of bands to discover, but if it werent for my friends that got me into good metal, Id still be listening to shit like Korn...I shudder to think that I ever liked that band...

That's what i usually do. I mean sure i get sick of hearing people praise in flames, but i even recommend slipknot fans some good death metal because they wanted to get into it. If they know some death metal bands i try recommending others who remind me of the band.

Example: say they like Nile or Kataklysm...i could suggest them necrophagist because they're technical just like those two bands. Or with cannibal corpse i can suggest cattle decapitation or exploding zombies. Then they learn more about metal and get quite a nice collection. I even offer them to look through my soulseek files and ask me about bands so i can tell them a bit about it. I'm always looking to help out music fans find good stuff. And if they haven't heard a band i'll say "i'm not into them" or tell them about the band and why i don't like them but leave it open the fact they might. I think many metalheads give people names of bands when asked so they can help eachother out. If we took out the elitists the metal community can be a great place full of smart and open-minded people willing to help eachother out with finding new bands and making the scene even greater then it is. I don't care for the underground metal idealogy. I just like finding out new bands. And out "kvlt"ing these ignorant pricks. Since i get bored and search metal archives for random genre's in countries not well known for their _________ metal scene...an example is China and Isreal. Two countries i found a few metal bands from. The Isreal ones i like. The chinese i only heard one and wasn't really great. But i'm looking for the other band with little luck.

Glad to see someone agrees with me. I guess those older friends helped you a lot. Everyone into metal is older then me probably though because most 13 year olds are nu-metallers...i tried showing my friends some bands, they liked hammerfall's works but dislike death metal. Which is fine. Everyone has their own taste. I write a lot of reviews for this purpose. And tell my friends about metal-archives. It's a helpful tool.

Nothing wrong with elitists. Just when they have a bad attitude towards metal newbies. I have befriended a few 'elitists' in the metal scene so i'm not against all elitists. Just the majority of extremely ignorant ones. Oh and the ones i befriend know i like slipknot and usually they bash others for it. It's the fact we have such similar tastes they accept me. They've been helpful with showing me new bands.

First off, good for you Shadow on your quest for truth, beauty, and good 'ole METAL! :headbang:

I understand it's difficult for kids of your generation to "brake from the mold" because, more than ever, youth is totally governed by trends (and the trend now seems to be rap/crap/r&b/alternacrap)

And precisely for this reason older metalheads should try to make a difference. I myself was a late bloomer because I didn't meet an older metal crowd until 7 years ago (age 15), so I probably would never have gotten into stuff like Judas Priest, Megadeth, Pantera, Bruce Dickinson, Dream Theater, Cathedral, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, etc, etc.

Then again, we can't just force music or thought on kids, it's also a matter of who is ready to change, to try something new/old.

I don't really know what bands and like so far, but from the few you mentioned I can maybe give you a hand.
Some of the top metal bands (IMO) around now:
-Nevermore
-Control Denied (well, not around anymore [RIP Chuck] but the 2nd album will eventually come out)
-Opeth
-Bruce Dickinson
-Symphony X
-Adagio
-Winds
-Dimmu Borgir
-Demons & Wizards

Generally, I prefer the newer albums by most bands I listen to, because I like to watch them progress through time.

Hope this helps...

Just make sure you talk to more than one person for perspectives, a mate of mine likes to think he knows all about metal, it didn't take me too long to realise he didn't, he ha his ideals and wanted everyone else to adopt them, having said that, talk to many but make the choices about what you like on your own.

You sound exactly like me from 11-13, except replace whatever you listen to with nothing but really fucking grim old school black metal, and it's my story. Just think, before you know it you'll be a jaded 19-year-old who's heard the fastest of hyperblasts, the most seething of growls, and long ago stopped being frightened by really ugly noisecore, and that's when you become a huge fan of cold-ass Nordic chill-tronica and whatnot and constantly listen to Röyksopp and Sigur Ros and start loving anything involving Björk... this is your future, my boy, and it's very scary.

Anyways, from an old metal head to a young one, listen to Dillinger Escape Plan and any noise from Relapse, Anaal Nathrakh, early At The Gates, 1349, Meshuggah before they were big, and make sure you have all the required Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Burzum realeases. Just some advice.

Haha, do you have the same name on Soulseek? I think I've seen you in the BM chat room a few times. I think I've had a total of two worthwhile conversations in that place. Catch me on Soulseek if you see something in my files that you like, I think I'm "the phoenix" over there also. As for the topic, I guess I agree with you, though I don't really care...

The Grim Rhino said:
You sound exactly like me from 11-13, except replace whatever you listen to with nothing but really fucking grim old school black metal, and it's my story. Just think, before you know it you'll be a jaded 19-year-old who's heard the fastest of hyperblasts, the most seething of growls, and long ago stopped being frightened by really ugly noisecore, and that's when you become a huge fan of cold-ass Nordic chill-tronica and whatnot and constantly listen to Röyksopp and Sigur Ros and start loving anything involving Björk... this is your future, my boy, and it's very scary.

Anyways, from an old metal head to a young one, listen to Dillinger Escape Plan and any noise from Relapse, Anaal Nathrakh, early At The Gates, 1349, Meshuggah before they were big, and make sure you have all the required Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Burzum realeases. Just some advice.

What mayhem releases are mandatory ;) I have De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas on CD and my computer, but i only have Death Crush on my computer.

As for Darkthrone i have most of their early relases and i think the last few releases, i don't have any of the mid darkthrone era albums(like Total Death, Panzerfaust, and Goatlord) but Darkthrone is easy to find around here.

Burzum. I have heard every album except part of Daudi Balders and Hvis Les Tos or whatever the other ones name is(i keep forgetting it). But no stores here having any burzum except Hildskjalf. I'll need to look online or something, maybe see if Misanthropy Records has them all which is likely. I don't own the actual Burzum CDs though. But i've heard most of Varg's stuff and i really enjoy it a lot.

Anyways back on the topic of elitists. It's hilarious. Someone who discovered Slayer in '99 has a good time trying to "ruin my metal name" so i stop listening to it. For example: He's on Metal Archives calling me a poser because i got into metal a year and a half to two years ago. Well saying you discovered slayer in '99 isn't something to brag about. I knew about slayer before i was into metal. My dad's into old school metal and rock so i was exposed to some slayer, metallica, etc back when i was a little kid, '95-'00? Anyways he likes goes to metal archives and chat rooms trying to make fun of me and get everyone to dislike me because i don't know as much as he does. Look at it this way. He's 20 and been into metal for 5 years. I'm 13 and been into it for 2 years. It's just ironic that when i get into it the slipknot fans are wearing dimmu shirts and cradle of filth shirts. Which is funny in a way because i bought a cradle of filth shirt before they got popular...a year before they appeared at ozzfest when i first started getting into metal. Then this year everyone at school who's into "mallcore" thinks i'm cool because of it when last year they thought i worshipped the devil and had a disease. What i'm saying is that now metal bands are becoming commercial and i'm just getting into metal so it'seasy for other kids to get all over me because they got into metal a few years before it was popular. But the thing with this character is ironically he got into it in '99...right when nu-metal was at it's peak. He was 15. I have a feeling he once listened to Korn and shit like that. It's not important. I just get sick ofhis harassment. When he himself isn't all that "true". Especially since many other metalheads who were chatting or on the boards were there with the thrash scene or early nineties when metal was yesturday's news for the most part(unless you knew a lot of underground metal bands). I think he's got too big of an ego for himself.

the phoenix said:
Haha, do you have the same name on Soulseek? I think I've seen you in the BM chat room a few times. I think I've had a total of two worthwhile conversations in that place. Catch me on Soulseek if you see something in my files that you like, I think I'm "the phoenix" over there also. As for the topic, I guess I agree with you, though I don't really care...

I rarely go into the BM room because a few of those elitist pricks lurk around there and i don't feel like getting more crap about being a "poser"

My name on there is Shadow0fDeath...shortly after i joined here at UM i decided to change my alias from an "O" to a "0". But yeah i go in there once in a while. I did more when i first got into soulseek to find some good BM.

I'll go in there now and look for you and add you, maybe chat with you a bit. But all in all i usually stick to metal mayhem because like here at UM people are more intelligent and open minded and less idiocy goes on there then from the death metal room...haha "HEIL HITLER! HEIL SATANAS! 666! \m/" "KILL THE N****RS, KILL THE FAGS." is all that goes on without intelligent reasons for their statement, and much just a bunch of idiots trying to look "cool".

Well I'm often an asshole and don't share my music with others, mostly cuz I don't think they're worth it. I try not to judge people so much on the music they listen to (cuz all styles have thier fair share of idiots as fans) but rather thier attitude towards music. If they're like "D00d Emperor pwnz!" then I'm not gonna tell them about any other bands, they are the type of scum I hate seeing at concerts and hate having to deal with on message boards. If they like the band for good reasons (their expressions of strength/power, their use of musical theory or whatever) then I'll share other bands with them. So yeah I'm an elitest, but I see nothing wrong with keeping the number of fools infesting the "scene" to a minimum...

crimsonfloyd said:
Well I'm often an asshole and don't share my music with others, mostly cuz I don't think they're worth it. I try not to judge people so much on the music they listen to (cuz all styles have thier fair share of idiots as fans) but rather thier attitude towards music. If they're like "D00d Emperor pwnz!" then I'm not gonna tell them about any other bands, they are the type of scum I hate seeing at concerts and hate having to deal with on message boards. If they like the band for good reasons (their expressions of strength/power, their use of musical theory or whatever) then I'll share other bands with them. So yeah I'm an elitest, but I see nothing wrong with keeping the number of fools infesting the "scene" to a minimum...

I'm the same way.

I generally don't help newbies, because 90% of the time they are scenesters, who are a plague upon metal. They should do their own research instead of asking seasoned metal fans what to listen to. For a lot of metal fans, the internet wasn't even invented when they started out, so is it so wrong to assume that newbies should have to actually work to find out about bands?

J. said:
I generally don't help newbies, because 90% of the time they are scenesters, who are a plague upon metal. They should do their own research instead of asking seasoned metal fans what to listen to. For a lot of metal fans, the internet wasn't even invented when they started out, so is it so wrong to assume that newbies should have to actually work to find out about bands?

Very true but some are not. For me i had the internet but no sources on the internet to find the bands. I had absolutely nothing.

I agree with you J. And yeah "scenesters" or whatever are getting even more abundant now thanks to headbangers ball and uranium.

I had to work hard to find bands, so if they are actually devoted to metal and finding out about metal they should have to work hard to find them too.

I have found a few bands on my own but getting recommended bands helps you find stuff that you might enjoy more easily. Not that that's a good thing. Though i despise both uranium and headbangers ball.

I was a nu-metal fan 4-5 years ago with little knowledge about heavy metal and I was made fun of that by experienced ones. At least I was not the type of guy that got into anything popular at the time to look hip. Eventually I got what its all about and now I know most of the respected, established bands. Funny thing is some of the older ones into heavy metal might of made fun of me but they probably were just like me earlier and some older metal fans might of made fun of them. Heavy metal is like a small conservative group with its fans liking to stick to tradition and older bands instead of getting into newer bands. And not everyone is welcomed to join this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.