Will you still listen to metal when you are older?

Status
Not open for further replies.
albie633 said:
Bands like Opeth are depressing so they appeal to sad teens.

I find Opeth uplifting.

Why do a whole assload of peeps like them than? Jon Davis puts alot of emotion into his music.

He is a perfect example of teen-angst. I agree that most people over 25 won't like that music. However, most metal music isn't angry in an immature way. Anger is not a teenage emotion, it is widespread throughout all age groups.

Only young people like metal

Then why do I know of several 40+ year olds (including my parents) that listen to all kinds of metal? Am I just delusional?

All I have to say to you now, albie, is to do yourself a favour and admit you're kidding about all of this. Even if you're not, do you really want people to label you as 'the idiot that knows nothing'?

I'm 26 and I love metal. I've always listened to heavy music. Yeah, I am angry, so I like my music to be heavy and have lots of energy. But a lot of metal is definitley talented music, and I can appreciate that as a musician. It's not like metalheads start listening to soft music once they reach a certain age. People tend to listen to the music they grew up with when they are older.

:lol: albie is getting seriously owned by reality.

wake up, man: sure, the demographics of metal favor young people, but that's to be expected, given the cathartic and/or revolutionary nature of most metallic themes. but there's certainly a large 25+ population of metal fans. give it up.

albie633 said:
Metal is a genre for teenagers and some people under 25. It is angry and reflects teen angst. Will any of you listen to metal when you get past 25? You will not be angry by then and even if you are you will be mature. Do you know anyone who listens to metal that is past 25? I love metal now but I know I wount listen to it when I get past 25. I will not be angry anymore and I will be mature. If I am still into music I will probably listen to some bands like Phish or something that have real talent. Lets be honest metal bands dont have any real musicianship and the only reason we youngsters like them is because they feed our feelings of youthful rage.

dude, Metal is something that has been going on for 30+ years (i am reffering to the crystalization period), and i know many from our community down here that are over 25 that listen to Metal AND go to shows. i can easily say there are a good 20 people alone that are over 20 that i know of that go to the shows. by the ways, what were you reffering to "real talent"??? were you intending that Metal musicians have no talent considering the fact the Metal Genre of music has some of the finest guitarists, drummers, bassists, and vocals in the world? and as far as youngsters lisening to Metal, I think you are referring to the "nu-metal" fanbase which is obviously angry at a world that they can't even understand let alone think. besides, Metal isn't about feeling angry ALL the time, it can be about alot of things. Telling a story, love, political correctness and/or incorrectness, respect, etc.. besides, who says that people who listen to Metal are angry? I mean, i'll grant everyone the argument that the stereotype is there, but sadly, like with sharks, it's a case of mistaken thinking. and yes, i will continue to listen to Metal when i am past 25, which will be in 4 years.

:OMG: how nieve many people still listen to metal after they have reached 25 i'm 31 years old and still v-much into metal rock thrash wot ever genre you'd like to come up with most of the v-top bands probably into their 40's by now e.g. Metallica,Iron Maiden,Saxon. These are true metal bands and have many older listeners :hotjump:

wtf am i being insulted? Dont fucking bring me into this disturbedbitch. Your a 14 yr old bitchboy. But atleast you get to listen to metal for another 11 yrs! When i turn 25. Im throwing away all my cd's and purchasing some faith hill

Holy fucking shit! I have not heard such a pointless rant of stupidity and illogic in ages. This fuckstick that started this pubescent thread is obviously retarded or just completely deranged. I'm 36 years old and have been playing and writing metal music for over 20 years. I love metal, always have and always will. I've got well over 1,000 cd's, albums and what not. I didn't spend fortunes on them for my fucking health. What a friggen moron. I sure as hell wish one of his points would've been correct where he stated that metal musicians are rich...hahahahahahahahahahaha! Yeah......I'm goddamn dirt poor. I would never dream to lower myself and play some sub-par tripe just to make money. I'd rather sell all of my shit and never play again.

I always see people in their 30's and 40's at metal shows. And he said that black people don't like metal but why do I see black people at metal shows?

I believe you are referring to the genre called metalcore or nu metal, where a bunch of angry rich boys tell that they did not get their 100 dollars today so they want to commit suicide by ODing on four aspirin... you need to wake the fuck up.. not all metal is about being angry and mad.. it is ignorant people like you who givem etal a bad name.

Reactions: Cyanide
well...
haven't read the entire thread but I needed to reply to post number 1
I've been into metal since 17 years now. from my 12 to my actual 29 years of age.
I have no fear, I am not angry, and I LOVE metal, it's a big part of my life, I have 4000+ original cds, 500+ lp's thousands of demos, hundreds of 7"s including lots of rare stuff, and thousands and thousands of tapes...

and what's more, for all the morons telling people metal is for losers/lowlives, I ain't no social misfit, i'm a medical doctor, my wife is a medical doctor, I have a wonderful life, we have one helluva big medical practice, I have a great house, my wife drives a Porsche Boxster brand new, and i'm ordering a new Carrera 4s powerpacked to 380bhp, so my life is going great. I don't mean to brag, just wanna dislocate all the losers telling me metal is music for stupid people...
And I feel METAL 2 the fuckin' bone, my heart beats metal, my lungs exhale metal, my kidneys piss metal, my muscles eat metal, and you know what, it'll take quite some artrosis in my neck to stop me from banging, if I happen to reach old age, I pity the old folks that'll be on my corridor in the retirement home where i'll arrive, cuz I plan to listen to each and every one of my albums again, and again, and again, ranging from progrock to the most insanely fast death metal and goregrind, and I won't turn the volume down, maybe i'll even enlighten half the retirement home, and hope they'll catch up with a century of metal by then! Maybe their lives will have meaning again then...

Those who come upon a day in their life where they abject their metal-fandom, and go mainstream... well I say : fuck them, they never were real metallovers.
You don't outgrow the metal, I still get goosebumps listening to Hellhammer's apocalyptic raids, I still scream along with Tom G Warrior, every single time, I ain't never going to stop this addiction... every friggin month a new band shows me this scene is NOT dead, it can never die!

And you wanna know something, some people don't like it, they don't like Mister Doctor with the big fuckin' income and the shining Porsches and Jaguars listening to metal, they want me to turn into a bore, well, they ain't gettin' what they want. I put my slicks to the road, and get 380 bhp screaming on the road windows open with the volume of my fuckin' Bosesoundsystem on 'UltraAudioTorment"-mode with Deathraceking by The Crown terrorizing the neighbourhood. ( I ain't no dangerous driver, just wanna make a statement here)

All I wanna say is...metal lies within your soul, you don't outgrow it if you've loved it as i do, and metal is within all races, all ages, all social classes, all levels of humans...
Metal 2 the fucking grave!

evilnell said:
Me thinks albie has gotton to a lot of people! Just ignore him/her. They're obviously just trying to wind you all up.

he won't... :)
he just makes me proud, feeling that I shall NEVER outgrow this beautiful muzik!

Status
Not open for further replies.