Do You Listen To Metal Because It Pumps You Up- And Makes You Angry?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I was told this is the reason I must listen to metal( aforementioned thread title)- by one of my master's school classmates this weekend. She told me, that people that listen to metal( we were mostly arguing over Led Zeppelin- as this is one of the few heavy bands she has heard- and it was playing in the background ) , have problems with aggression, violence, and emotion. She further stated that such music does not send the right message- and thus she finds no value in it.

I am familiar with such idealistic types, but I was even more shocked when almost everyone else at the party agreed with her- and thought the metal was somehow related to some aggression I have. My argument to her, was that metal is very diverse, and was full of musical innovation;this argument fell onto deaf ears- as she prefers simple happy music with a positive message( see, Black Eyed Peas, The Jayhwaks, the fucking GIn Blossoms, Beatles etc- these are the bands she listens to) Anyway, I do find I somewhat agree with her, I do listen to metal when I am angry, and when I lift weights. Yet, I am surprised by this idealistic position of hers- and others. Does anyone else have similar experiences- and know people like this?

Metal is anything you want it to be, or anything the band wants it to be.

Metal can be from romantic and slow music like my dying bride or morgion, or it can be fast and classical like Yngwie, or it can be brutal like Spawn of Possesion, it can be story telling like summoning, or blind gaurdian so many diffrent things.

She is just an idiot and so are most people.

nergal summed it up in the first sentence.

Personally, I tend to listen to the more aggressive stuff when I am already angry and need to calm down. I can see though, that it can be used for getting pumped up as well. But I don't have any reason to get myself angry on purpose (who the hell does?).

Nope. I tend to listen to aggressive bands and I can't stand those sappy ''love'' songs, but that doesn't have anyting to do with my emotional state. Btw, did you ask her how many metal bands she knew? I bet her metal knowledge was slim to none.

nergal_S said:
Metal is anything you want it to be, or anything the band wants it to be.

Metal can be from romantic and slow music like my dying bride or morgion, or it can be fast and classical like Yngwie, or it can be brutal like Spawn of Possesion, it can be story telling like summoning, or blind gaurdian so many diffrent things.

She is just an idiot and so are most people.

agreed 500%. this is the best thing to the statement "calling it as it is".

Tell her to listen to something like Nightwish and she'll soon find out that metal isn't always about aggression. It just usually sounds more aggressive because of the loudness of the instruments, tempo and singer's voice.

She is however half right because anger is usually the emotion the band is trying to give to us or release. I often find myself more relaxed after I listened to some metal. Other times I'm really pumped which is why I listen to something more aggressive before I go to work. It wakes me up a bit and gets a little adrenalin going so I can perform better.

If listening to and playing metal (and punk, and other 'aggressive' genres of music) help an introvert like myself channel some of the anger that's built up inside, then what the fuck is anyone's problem with it? I've listened to metal for over 20 years now, and in that time I've gotten in 3 fights, only one of which I had any part in instigating (and for christsake's I was 15 at the time and the guy was a fucking bully). I haven't killed anyone, I don't have any bodies in my freezer, hell, I don't even drink anymore. There's this huge taboo surrounding anger, as if it's not a natural emotion. The harm is in repressing emotions, not in expressing them in a healthy manner. I bet this woman has no problem with the violence that surrounds a lot of sporting events, or at least doesn't look down her nose at organized sports, but personally, I feel safer around drunken metalheads than I do around drunken jocks (or wannabe-jocks). And it's not like there isn't plenty to be pissed off about in this world, no matter how you stand politically or how wonderful/shitty your childhood was/is. Anyway, I quit defending my tastes in music years ago, since I like so many different styles that I can't seem to please anyone! :cool: If people get it, they get it, if not, it's their problem. It's none of my business what somebody else thinks of me!

i listen to metal becuase i like it musically. i dont care what the lyrics are about (hell, they cold be "I for tree what Are goon heaven string wooooord").

there is also such variety in metal aswell. you have the aggressive death-grind, the depressing gothic, the happy-feeling power and the emotional instrumentals.

I kind of agree too actually. I am definitely an angry, very unhappy person. I listen to the heaviest metal I like when I am angry or lifting weights (Hate Eternal, Nile, Suffocation, etc.). But it certainly doesn't make me more angry - if anything it helps my anger a little bit.

Life Sucks said:
I kind of agree too actually. I am definitely an angry, very unhappy person. I listen to the heaviest metal I like when I am angry or lifting weights (Hate Eternal, Nile, Suffocation, etc.). But it certainly doesn't make me more angry - if anything it helps my anger a little bit.

your post and that suffocation pic reminds me of this suffocation bootleg i have. the singer (sorry, forgot his name) says:

"man, am i glad theres this angry music. its such an anger release. if it werent for this music, i would have killed so many people"

or something along that line. so i guess it is the case with alot of people.

Seriosly, When I was younger I got in many fights...before I was into music, and since I have became intrested in music, (first band i liked was metallica, the old stuff, not the new stuff that sucks) I have been in only 4 with in 3 years!, thats a record for me! but I never do start them, i let them hit first...then kick there ass :)

speed said:
I was told this is the reason I must listen to metal( aforementioned thread title)- by one of my master's school classmates this weekend. She told me, that people that listen to metal( we were mostly arguing over Led Zeppelin- as this is one of the few heavy bands she has heard- and it was playing in the background ) , have problems with aggression, violence, and emotion. She further stated that such music does not send the right message- and thus she finds no value in it.

I am familiar with such idealistic types, but I was even more shocked when almost everyone else at the party agreed with her- and thought the metal was somehow related to some aggression I have. My argument to her, was that metal is very diverse, and was full of musical innovation;this argument fell onto deaf ears- as she prefers simple happy music with a positive message( see, Black Eyed Peas, The Jayhwaks, the fucking GIn Blossoms, Beatles etc- these are the bands she listens to) Anyway, I do find I somewhat agree with her, I do listen to metal when I am angry, and when I lift weights. Yet, I am surprised by this idealistic position of hers- and others. Does anyone else have similar experiences- and know people like this?
I don't run into this problem because I make sure all of my friends have a similar taste in music genres to me and that we share interests, it may seem a little closed-minded but it makes things a hell of a lot easier, especially since what type of music someone listens to can sometimes tell a lot about their personality.
My guess is that shes basing her statements off of the Nu-metal "genre" and the teen angst that is commonly displayed by the bands and portrayed by its "fans". Let me guess based on the statement she made, i'd imagine shes taken a psych class at some point and is one of those people who seems to know what everyones problem is just because its a certain way with a couple people out of a group.

Phrozenspite said:
I don't run into this problem because I make sure all of my friends have a similar taste in music genres to me and that we share interests, it may seem a little closed-minded but it makes things a hell of a lot easier

i agree with this all the way. personally, i have very few friends that are outside one of my main interests. many times, when i encounter complete strangers and i see them wearing a fakebreed, stinkin park, or shitknot shirt, i tend to just leave a conversation where it begins and never think of that person again, cuz sadly i have no interest in associating myself with those kind of people (although i have friends who do wear those shirts, but that's b/c they earned my friendship.). plus, i can at least have a good conversation about things i care most.

Phrozenspite said:
especially since what type of music someone listens to can sometimes tell a lot about their personality.

this i can agree with to a certain extent, but i understand completely what phroz is saying.

Phrozenspite said:
My guess is that shes basing her statements off of the Nu-metal "genre" and the teen angst that is commonly displayed by the bands and portrayed by its "fans".

again, very right about what you stated, but we also have that problem in the real metal community where as some members look and sometimes act the stereotype of what our culture is to those who don't know much about it.