How Do You Listen to Metal?

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
Two part question.

1) How do you listen to metal most of the time? At work, on the go, in your car, or at home? Do you normally use headphones or speakers?

2) Do you tend to listen to consecutive albums as a whole or do you mix up your favorite songs with mix cd's or mp3 shuffle functions?

1) I listen to metal mostly at home on at my computer through headphones. Some nights I'll go to bed and listen to an album in the dark on headphones. About once a week I get to drive my parents' car by myself, and I take the opportunity to blast an album on the car stereo.

2) I tend to do a mix of both. In the car I use CD's of albums while at my computer or on my Ipod/Itunes I usually split between full albums and shuffle mode.

I listen to shuffle nigh exclusively because I rarely have the patience to sit through a full album...when I can, this marks a great album (truly great, I can sit through shit and just call it good I guess, too). However, kind of recently, I've been listening to albums more often.

In the car, I just put my favorite songs from albums, or stuff from new cds I've downloaded that I haven't yet listened to. the drive to school is about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic

at home, if nobody's around I'll listen to stuff on the computer. just random shit. if somebody is home, I'll go to my room and listen to music on my stereo(which is, coincedentally, louder)

I am either using my computer or CD player to listen to music, and when I do it is almost ALWAYS full albums. I very rarely listen to random songs.

1) Mostly I listen to metal at my computer through speakers. I use my mp3 player when I'm out of home, working out with metal is a great thing by the way. When I have to sleep I always play two doom tracks through speakers and then the tracks are played randomly.

2) I always play my favourite tracks, but when I learn the tracks are also played randomly.

Whatever I do I must listen to metal, sometimes I listen to metal while burning the worm. :lol:

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I listen to shuffle nigh exclusively because I rarely have the patience to sit through a full album...when I can, this marks a great album (truly great, I can sit through shit and just call it good I guess, too). However, kind of recently, I've been listening to albums more often.

Yeah I've been doing full albums more often. For a while I've mostly shuffled my favorite songs but then that left a lot of songs undeservingly unplayed in my library. Listening to full albums gives equal playing time to all of the songs, and it prevents the favorites from getting overplayed.

I usually listen at home on some speakers and almost always entire albums. I only really shuffle when i'm listening on my Mp3 player, which is usually on long journeys. I'm very concious that people dislike metal and I don't want to be an obnoxious jerk, so I always try and listen when I'm on my own and if others are in the house, I'll keep the volume down. One thing I can't stand is people who listen to their Mp3 players when you're talking with them, so I never listen to my Mp3 player when i'm with company.

Reactions: cookiecutter
1) Mostly on my stereo or in the car. Used to be almost 100% MP3s downloaded and listened to on the computer but now this almost never happens.

2) Usually full albums, but I skip a track if it starts to get boring.

1) I listen to it in the morning before to head out to school. On my computer. Speakers. It yells out loud and my parents yell at me. Then I'm with metal on the way to school (1,2 hr), or anywhere else - CD mp3 player - with CD-R that I've burnt. And when I get home I listen to it through computer again.

2) Usually I listen like many albums in one track list. With shuffle on.

1. mainly on my stereo set up,diskman/headphones.

1. i listen to a cd until it boring or just listen to specific songs.

I don't have a car to listen to music in it. I have not had a job in 3,4 months so I can't make myself grow up. My incompetence shining and making me obsolete. I am now a ghost slipping into the past while every day passes. I don't have to find security in past desolation because i'm now a memory and past. The world is just industrial and business and it's trying to use me or make me futile by demenstrating my lack of talent. I'm just going to grow out my hair now.

I use headphones almost all the time. I'm married and my wife hates most of what i listen to.

I listen to full albums, unless i'm with friends. Usually when we get together to have a few rounds of tekken, street fighter or madden so i'll turn down the tv put on the stereo and set cd player on random.

1) Car: Usually an album for about a week or two mainly because I don't drive much.
Home: through my computer, which is hooked up to a stereo.
Neither: My ipod broke, so now I don't get to use my rather large $199 headphones to block out everything except the music.

2) I've really only listened to something on shuffle when I'm not in my room, but I'm out in the 'living room'. That's hardly ever the case though. I pretty much always listen to a full album, unless it's a promo and I don't want to listen because it sucks.

1) mostly at home and in my car. I use my MD player only when I'm on a train. I don't really feel comfortable walking around with it.

2) no mixing, I tend to listen to whole albums only.

But overall, I don't listen to music that much actually. maybe about 2-3 hours a day, that's it

I always listen to full albums. Rarely do I use shuffle. As for where I listen, on my iPOD wherever i am, walking, waiting for the bus etc.. at home i listen through my stereo which is hooked up to my computer.

1. At home: speakers, on the go: headphones; if there's a moment in life for me to at least listen to a full track then I'm probably doing so.

2. Whole albums.

Zephyrus said:
1) How do you listen to metal most of the time? At work, on the go, in your car, or at home? Do you normally use headphones or speakers?

The majority of the time would probably be on the computer. I listen to albums on my way to school, which is usually around 40- 70 minutes a day depending on traffic, then in between classes with my CD player, and at night. I use headphones at night and between classes. I have a tendency to listen to more up-beat albums while I'm driving and contemplative albums between classes and at night. On the computer, it's whatever my mood dictates.

Zephyrus said:
2) Do you tend to listen to consecutive albums as a whole or do you mix up your favorite songs with mix cd's or mp3 shuffle functions?

99% of the time, I listen to whole albums. I think I've used shuffle maybe twice this year, the last time being last week.

1) I listen to it 90% of the time I'm at home, on my way to school, on the way back from school, during lunch and study hall.

2) I tend to shuffle the songs most of the time.

1. I usually listen to it in the car, because I have to drive a lot (work and school. school=15 mins away. work=30 mins away). I try to listen to it at home when I have the time on headphones, but I usually prefer to spend my leisure surfing the web or other alternative activities.

2. I listen to whole albums 95% of the time, although they usually are broken into segments of 15 and 30 minutes for above reasons. The only time I shuffle the pod is when I can't choose what to listen to and I need music to fufill my car ride. I listen to whole albums at home. I have a few uber albums that I only listen to 2-3 times a year when I am travelling, like the fragile by NIN. That sucker is over 100 minutes!