How do you metal heads dress? Also what other people think of you?

speed said:
I am the black sheep of this group.

I do not own one single piece of metal memorabilia/clothing.
No worries, friend. I'm in the same boat. Well actually I do own two metal band t-shirts, but I never where them unless I go to a concert, which is very rare.

My everyday attire is preppy, like you. I wear Kenneth Cole sandals, nice button up shirts or Polos and nice khaki shorts. I also wear tailored slacks sometimes.

The common notion that if you look and dress nice, then you are a Corporate whore is just blatantly idiotic, and is commonly espoused by the stupid highschooler and college kid that purposely looks different to "express himself".

Simple fact: I look and dress the way I do because it makes me feel good and I like it. I could care less if i fit in, because the truth is I bet I'm more of a misanthrope than any turd dressing in all black with an upside down cross on his shirt.

It is fun though, when I run into individuals just begging for attention by looking "different" (when in actuality they are the majority), and they see me browsing the metal section at stores, and feel the need to see what I'm looking at. Sometimes they strike up conversations, sometimes not. When they do, they act surprised that I know so much. Does the way a person dresses define who they are? I guess it does to some people. I could really give a fuck less.

Needled24Seven said:
riiiight! you want a look of your own? why not go with a mass marketed bodybuilding well dressed guy. who wont wear shirts of music he likes, because its not the hip thing to do and girls dont like it. but ohhh no, ive never seen one of thoughs kids before. you truly are original!

well, to each his own.:p

Most has been said already, but I'll pick up from there. Im approaching shit from the minority. As always, Dreamlord explained himself well. I like Speed, am into bodybuilding. Certain clothes fit you better, and look better on us. Why the hell would we spend all that time in the gym to have it go unnoticed. The compliments are nice. Im generally pessimistic and have low self-esteem. BB helpos balance it out a little. Im currently in route to eliminate all logos from my wardrobe because I don't want to be a walking billboard. I am not going to pay someone to advertise for them. I feel this is the best approach if you want to be judged by your personallity. You aren't a freak, goth, wigger, thug, gangsta, but maybe a prep or poser to the narrow-minded part opf the metal community. The metal community isn't as different from mainstream society as it thinks. The superficiallity shines through in matters like this. If I dressed how i normally dress to a show, people would think I am a poser. They would stare me down, laugh etc. WOuld I care? No. But I do happen to wear metal shirts to shows. I tend to avoid these matters of superficial conflict. Image is a small sacrafice(if you want to call it that). It isn't as sacred as some people make it out to be.
I used to be a fashion metal head. I dress the part less and less as time goes on. I had long hair wore black constantly etc. I usually wear my old metal garb if I don't plan on going anywhere and to be taken seriously as a person. People dress metal usually because A) they are lazy and could give a fuck less B) To fit in amongst the metal community C) shock value. That is not meant to be offensive. I've been there and done that. People need to be honest with themselves and admit why they dress a certain why. I think most people are trying to fit in to an extent.
The truth is half of these metal heads would not have long hair if it wasn't the metal thing to do. Not many guys that don't listen to metal do. I am sure the ones that do aren't going to be like " Wow they have long hair too, I should check this metal stuff out." Thats just as original as that mass-marketed muscular guy wearing nice clothes thing. I would have said clothes made the person a bout a year ago. I would have called the non-fashion metal fans posers. As I lose the teen angst this stuff becomes so pointless. Don't be fooled. Don't think that your dress is completely original and uninfluenced. Do not be stupid enough to be offended by this post.

I should have probably edited and arranged this post better. But I don't care. The ideas are there.

Pair of jeans, and usually a short sleeved shirt. Like a grey one, or blue and white one... and a sport jacket/coat. Thats me, apart from boots. Its sorta trendish, and normal I guess. I just dress the way I want

speed said:
You know shell shock, I think you are right- now that I think about it. Most Americans wear whatever shit they can find- and really dont give a fuck if they are in a nice restraunt or a Mcdonalds.

Yet, in our generation- if one goes out at night- one has to look a certian way- or at least the group they are with does.
yep.. Also, remember - Americans are very different and diverse.. Some are obese, some are well-fit. Some idolize the celebrities, some loathe the very idea of it. Etc..

I heard once that if you find a guy in Barcelona wearing old jeans and just a simple t-shirt, rest assured it's an American tourist :). I mean, and this IS universal, I'd think - younger people (teens) usually have a some kind of a dress-code-standard, be it trendy clothes, just decent clothes, metalhead clothes, goth clothes, etc.. This is a form of self-expression, way to get some attention on you (if it's gothic) - or it's just a simple desire to get laid (if it's trendy or popular)- etc. And yet, the older you get - the less you care about your appearance, unless of course you're going out on a Friday night - or going to the opera or something like that, or a concert, or unless it's required by the line of work you're in - etc...

Needled 24/7 just because I love metal- doesnt mean I have to wear metal shirts, to confirm my love for metal, to anyone that can read my shirt. I mean there are alot of things I love- but I dont think I need to get shirt with a steak on it, or a naked woman, to prove my love.

Yeah I suppose it was a bit arrogant- and image conscious- but have you seen most of the people in the US that wear metal shirts? In Europe or south america I probably would wear them all the time- but over here one gets labeled loser and hillbilly- and I really dont want to be labeled based only on my music taste.

You see thats the problem- once you start wearing only metal shirts- you are labeled by everyone else as nothing else but a metal fan- not a lover of art, literature, baseball, women etc- people only see the metal head.

So, a few more arrogant musings on the subject- I admit they are a bit arrogant- buth then again you seem to think wearing metal shirts is mandatory if one is a metal fan.

speed said:
Yeah I suppose it was a bit arrogant- and image conscious- but have you seen most of the people in the US that wear metal shirts? In Europe or south america I probably would wear them all the time- but over here one gets labeled loser and hillbilly- and I really dont want to be labeled based only on my music taste.

You see thats the problem- once you start wearing only metal shirts- you are labeled by everyone else as nothing else but a metal fan- not a lover of art, literature, baseball, women etc- people only see the metal head.

So, a few more arrogant musings on the subject- I admit they are a bit arrogant- buth then again you seem to think wearing metal shirts is mandatory if one is a metal fan.

well, it is their problem, their perception.

I also don't like being labelled...not so much labelled, but judged superficially, but then again, you are going to be judged and labelled based on your appearance absolutely regardless of what you're wearing and what you look like. So....if i'm going to be judged in any way, I may as well be seen as a metal fan. Usually I really don't care though.

But what about that art and literature comment?? I wasn't aware there was a certain appearance that let people know you like art and literature...and if there was, why would you want to niche yourself there. Then people might think that you're not a down to earth person, or that you're poor and don't have a proper career or something. We can't have that can we? =)

It's the same here in Australia. I wear a metal shirt and I get called a "bogan" which is a slur for metalhead over here. I don't just like metal myself, of course it's my preferred musical genre. But I listen to jazz, blues, maybe even some rap(from the 80s like Public Enemy etc) and the list goes on. But I am grouped into a particular stereotype that I do nothing apart from smoking weed, play a musical instrument and headbang and that I cannot dance for shit. I get dissed by other people during a school social like a ball or rather because they think I cannot dance. Well I don't take lessons, but I know how to dance when the occasion calls.
I don't wear metal shirts to fit in, I wear them because they seem to be the only clothes to fit me and I want to be proud of what I listen to, I'll even wear a Joe McLaughlin shirt if I can find one. Then it'll bring in another type of stereotype.
You can't stop this stereotyping, people are shallow and superficial. I'm glad my friends and girlfriend aren't as superficial.

Bear with me, there is a story in this post for all you readers.

I have been a metal fan for almost two years now, and I only recently bought a Dream Theater shirt, which is my first metal-style. I found it rather amusing when I found a "Explicit lyrics, Parental guidance needed" or whatever, on the sleeve.

Anyway, usually I wear a simple t-shirt (it is either Snoopy or a ringer with Amnesty International on it). They are not too baggy, which I like, and they reach down to my waist. For trousers, I wear whatever I pick out first, and make sure it at least matches the shirts. And just for a little flair, I grab a blouse and put it on, not buttoning it up. I realized that I like myself that way, and I am somehow different than the rest. Oh, and these days, I have gotten a little braver and trying out some spaghetti strap tops and some halter tops with a skirt (long ones mind you). ... Go me. :loco: And for jewellery, I used to wear a beautiful pure silver cross, and two silver bangles. They are all gone now, due to different reasons and now I am wearing a black and white friendship bracelet and anklet.

Story:
Regarding metal shirts, when I went to Spain, I had just got a Rhapsody CD (Power of the Dragonflame) and I was holding it in my bag. Then, when me and my class were in Valencia at this festival (commemorating independence, I think), I saw a guy wearing a Rhapsody shirt, the same design on the CD cover on my CD. When I saw him, I had to smile and I almost wanted to give him the \m/ sign but then I saw how BIG the man was, and at that time, I was 14 and so I just walked past him. Did I tell you that they recreated a medieval-type atmostphere at the festival? There were falconers and street performers, and stalls showing you how to make chainmail and how to weave a basket. There were even donkey rides for the kids! At the end, there was this huge black dragon (complete with wings) which was paraded down the hall, with its insides alight for that glowing feeling. People walked with it with torches. Afterwards, the dragon was set on fire.

So yeah, all you metal-heads, wear as many band shirts as you can (one on top of the other even, if you want to!) and so when we crosspaths, we know who is who. :Smug:

speed said:
I disagree... If your clothes and appearance look decent - then wtf is the problem? I used to wear different tees - Metallica, Pantera, Opeth, etc., and nobody seemed to care. Only a couple of people came by and said: "cool shirt" - that's it.. I know, if you wear some worn out clothes and have long, yet unwashed hair - you'll be labelled a hillbilly even if you had a portrait of Tchaikovsky's on your t-shirt.. But there's absolutely nothing wrong in wearing a band tee.. Unless it's something EXTREMELY brutal, like Cannibal Corpse.. But even that.. Will only get you chuckles, not fingerpoints..

that's how it is here anyway.. In California, of all places..

Does anyone know where I can get a bullet belt?:p

Anyway, I'm basically a clusterfuck of styles. One day I'll look like a skater, the next a thrash head from the 80's, the next day I can look kinda goth(The Cure kinda goth, not Manson kinda "goth"), then look completely black metal, both grim AND tr00(That's where the bullet belt comes in:p) About 90% of my shirts are band shirts, except for a few Transformer shirts, and a few work shirts. Pants and shorts are usually blue or black denim, and a few pairs of Dickies, a few pairs of camo cutoffs, and black cargo pants. On the feet, I usually wear a pair of steel-tipped Dr. Martens, Adidas Shelltops, or Converse All-Stars. In the winter, I'll usually have on a black thermal shirt underneath my t-shirts, a black leather biker jacket, or a hoodie. So, like I said, complete clusterfuck of style:p

Ok needled I will come out and say it- I dont like Metal shirts- I dont like their comic book style prints, or the over the top gore. I dont like the names of the cities of the tour on the back- I do not want to be a billboard. I dont really need to be indentified by all the public as part of a metal loving group. Most of all I dont want to pay 25- 30 dollars for a fucking t shirt- when I could buy a far better item of clothing like say a decent pair of jeans. The whole metal shirt thing seems so played out to me- and I really dont see how it has any effect on how much of a metal fan I am- other than I refuse to pay bands exorbient prices for shitty looking shirts. These are the reasons, I wouldnt be caught dead in a metal shirt.

i either dress "preppy" or wear baggy jeans, tshirt, and a backwards baseball cap. i wear band shirts occasionally. usually just to shows. i also wear the band shirts as an undershirt a lot when i dress "preppy". when it gets cold i wear a lot of hoodies and a beanie, skull cap, boggin, whatever you wanna call it. i dont wear any jewelry except for the wristbands at shows that say i drink.

i either dress "preppy" or wear baggy jeans, tshirt, and a backwards baseball cap. i wear band shirts occasionally. usually just to shows. i also wear the band shirts as an undershirt a lot when i dress "preppy". when it gets cold i wear a lot of hoodies and a beanie, skull cap, boggin, whatever you wanna call it. i dont wear any jewelry except for the wristbands at shows that say i drink.

i either dress "preppy" or wear baggy jeans, tshirt, and a backwards baseball cap. i wear band shirts occasionally. usually just to shows. i also wear the band shirts as an undershirt a lot when i dress "preppy". when it gets cold i wear a lot of hoodies and a beanie, skull cap, boggin, whatever you wanna call it. i dont wear any jewelry except for the wristbands at shows that say i can drink.

I am a jeans and t-shirt guy. I have many metal tees and I wear them pretty often. I also have Steeler and Bama tees and jerseys I wear as well. I dress to impress the most important person in this world....... moi !! That guy likes clean and comfortable clothes so he's not too hard to impress.

Bryant