What genres do you like?

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
I'll admit that I used to be really ignorant and listen to only death metal and nothing else. Then I started listening to some black metal and then some doom metal as well. I also started listening to thrash again (like I did before I got into death metal). Now I like death metal, black metal, thrash, traditional metal, metalcore, doom metal, and gothic metal, but I obviously don't like each band in all of those genres. Death metal is still my favorite, but I basically like any metal except power metal and nu-metal now. I pretty much only like metal though (especially if you consider metalcore/hardcore metal), and I hate rap and don't like pop, pop-punk, country, jazz, techno, etc. Some people say I am ignorant because of this, but I like to think that I have pretty broad taste for a metalhead. It seems like some people on here are like me, and others that listen to only one genre, and yet even others have more broad taste than me and even listen to some hip hop and jazz. So how broad is your taste?

I like the following genres:

- Black metal (Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Enslaved, Immortal)
- "Post"-black (Solefald, Arcturus, Borknagar)
- Death metal (Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Immolation, Dying Fetus, Nile, Vader). I pretty much dislike melodeath, though.
- Punkrock (Bands like Millencolin, NOFX, Pulley, Terrorgruppe, and also the more raw and 77 style kind of punk)
- Skapunk (Less Than Jake, Capdown)
- Hardcore (This actually is considered a subgenre of punk. I love bands like Raised Fist, Refused, Breach (metalcore/hardcore-ish), Straightfaced, 59 Times The Pain, Kill Your Idols, Buried Alive, Gorilla Biscuits, etc.)
- Metalcore (I think it's difficult to spot huge differences between metalcore and hardcore. Still, I like bands like Killswitch Engage and even some Hatebreed)
- Grindcore (Pig Destroyer, Excrementory Grindfuckers)

Other bands I enjoy that don't fall under the abovementioned genres: Wongraven, early Mortiis, Celtic Frost, Tristania, Winds. I also like Prodigy, some Beatles and some hiphop/rap (mostly Norwegian).

henrikmain said:
I like the following genres:

- Black metal (Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Enslaved, Immortal)
- "Post"-black (Solefald, Arcturus, Borknagar)
- Death metal (Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Immolation, Dying Fetus, Nile, Vader). I pretty much dislike melodeath, though.
- Punkrock (Bands like Millencolin, NOFX, Pulley, Terrorgruppe, and also the more raw and 77 style kind of punk)
- Skapunk (Less Than Jake, Capdown)
- Hardcore (This actually is considered a subgenre of punk. I love bands like Raised Fist, Refused, Breach (metalcore/hardcore-ish), Straightfaced, 59 Times The Pain, Kill Your Idols, Buried Alive, Gorilla Biscuits, etc.)
- Metalcore (I think it's difficult to spot huge differences between metalcore and hardcore. Still, I like bands like Killswitch Engage and even some Hatebreed)
- Grindcore (Pig Destroyer, Excrementory Grindfuckers)

Other bands I enjoy that don't fall under the abovementioned genres: Wongraven, early Mortiis, Celtic Frost, Tristania, Winds. I also like Prodigy, some Beatles and some hiphop/rap (mostly Norwegian).
You have a broader musical taste than I do. I like some hardcore, like Shai Hulud, Refused, Candiria, and Hatebreed. And I like one punk band, called Propagandhi, and they are very thrashy.

I love a lot of death, black, doom. I like a few speed metal bands and a few heavy metal bands. I'm a big fan of Opeth, Katatonia, etc. Not so keen on 'post' black, gothic, power, etc. I like a bit of classical too. And of course FINAL FANTASY MUSIC! :worship:

Life Sucks said:
You have a broader musical taste than I do. I like some hardcore, like Shai Hulud, Refused, Candiria, and Hatebreed. And I like one punk band, called Propagandhi, and they are very thrashy.

Propgandhi's great. I must admit that I haven't really spotted any great thrash influences in their sound, but that may have something to do with me almost never listening to thrash metal. I forgot to add that I like a fair deal of classical music, like Mendelssohn, Bach, Bizet and Dvorak. I also love romantic, medieval music like the soundtrack of Baldur's Gate. And medieval/folk music like Finntroll's "Visor Om Slutet". I'm a sucker for atmosphere. Howard Shore's "Lord Of The Rings" score is also beautiful.

Oh, and I also forgot to add Viking Metal to my list. I like Einherjer, Ulvhedin, Thyrfing and other viking metal bands.

Yes, People have said to me I am narrow minded when it comes to music but that's bullshit. They just say that because I'm into some extreme metal.

I would say my taste in heavy metal is broad. I love the early death/thrash metal bands the best like Death, Entombed, Obituary, Sepultura etc. Some other types I have interest in is sludgecore, doom, metalcore, and modern metal. I find black metal annoying cause of their shrieking vocals though (I can't stand it).

Next to heavy metal I listen to punk/hardcore the most. Biohazard and Madball and all of them :). Other than that I like some alternative and classical music but I can't stand most rap and techno though.

Yeah I remember GoD made a MIDI with Final Fantasy kind of music. How you do that?

Some Black , Most Post-Black , Post-Hardcore (I mean Neurosis / Isis etc..) , very few thrash , few death and heavy ..

Doom & bands like Agalloch , Empyrium , Tenhi , Dornenreich ...are growing on me

Black Metal, thrash, prog, death metal, some power metal, folk influenced metal and viking metal.

non-metal genres: jazz, classical, blues and electronica.

MURAI said:
Yeah I remember GoD made a MIDI with Final Fantasy kind of music. How you do that?
hah, I don't remember that o_O

I made a few pieces on my keyboard and put them on the pc using 'music center live' or something equally crappy, and they may have sounded like final fantasy. I've also downloaded various FF midis in the past....Hm.

METAL:

Death Metal
(Some) Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Avant-Garde
Industrial Metal
Instrumental Prog Metal

NON-METAL:
Jazz - Bop, Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Fusion
Trip Hop
Film Scores
Drum 'n Bass/Jungle
Downbeat
Ambient

And basically anything other than Nu Metal, Punk, Modern RnB and Rap, Pop, Dance, Trance, Techno and anything played on MTV2.

I don't know much about metal genres...but the metal genres I know and like of are melodic, thrash, black, death, prog, wherever Ensiferum would go under (folk maybe?) ..and more.

..Then I like classical music.

And oldies, like The Beatles and stuff.

Black, Death, Doom, Melodic Death, Thrash, Speed, Power, Traditional, "Post" - Black, very little Prog. Folk- and Viking- influenced bands, which tend to be Black Metal anyway...

Thrash - Fast, heavy and energetic shit, just how I like it

Black - Just damn cool with the long, held out guitar lines and the growls

Hip-Hop - I like the creative turntable work and some of the poetic, down to earth lyrics

Classic Rock - Stuff like Priest, Ac Dc, Rainbow and so on. Some of the coolest stuff ever made

Doom - Sometimes it does get a little boring with how slow it goes, but generally I can appriciate such acts as Electric Wizard

Prog Rock / Metal - Stuff like Dream Theater and Rush, usually pretty damn inctricate and upbeat, something me and my mom will listen to when we're together

Death - I love those heavy, grinding sounds and deep growls

Classical - Always considered this the elite of all genre's. Best when they're lots of instruments working together, such as a good violen section with horns and pianos and such

Electronica / Drum n Bass - Bands like Squarepusher and Aphex Twin are a nice change from the usual thrash or black metal I play. Cool stuff, I like all the synth and drums and stuff coming together to make really interesting beats

I like the following:

brutal death metal or death/grind (Disgorge, Brodequin, Rebaelliun, Mental Horror, Devourment, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Enmity, Deeds of Flesh, Cryptopsy, Foetopsy, Decrepit Birth, Prophecy, Lykathea Aflame, Kataklysm)
black or death/black metal (Belphegor, Thorns, Hate Forest, Tartaros, Ulver, Master's Hammer, Ashen Light, Astrofaes, Summoning, Burzum, old Dimmu Borgir)
"dark" metal (Deinonychus, Bethlehem, Lux Occulta, The 3rd and the Mortal, Green Carnation)
dark ambient, especially Cold Meat releases (Raison d'Etre, Coph Nia, Arcana, Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio, Sophia)
classical music and music with classical influences (Elend, Winds, Lacrimosa, composers like Arvo Part, some choir singing because my girlfriend does that, hehe)
acoustic stuff (Kveldssanger by Ulver, Empyrium)
folk/pop music (Varttina)

And various other bands like Sopor Aeternus, Tenhi, Aeryon, Apoptygma Berzerk, The Gathering, Autumn Tears, This Mortal Coil, Bel Canto, Kari, Faith and the Muse, Howling Syn, VNV Nation, old Left Hand Solution, Skinny Puppy, some Danzig etc. I am too lazy to make more cathegories. I am sure I am forgetting a lot of stuff, but this at least gives a rough idea.

all styles of metal, though little power and black metal, and no hair metal.

then classic rock, some prog rock, some hardcore, some punk, some electronica/techno (so sue me), early 1990's 'alternative' and grunge, and very few nu metal bands.

As far as metal goes I like:
Black ( ie Emperor, Dissection)
Doom (My Dying Bride, Katatonia)
Feuneral Doom (Skipiticism, Shape of Despair)
Melodic Death (At the Gates, In Flames)
Prog (by this I mean bands like Opeth or Agalloch, not Dream Theater or whatever...)
some Gothic and a tiny bit of Death

Non Metal:
Prog (King Crimson, Pink Floyd)
Female Singer Songwriters (Fiona Apple, Tori Amos)
Post Rock (Godspeed, Silver Mt Zion)
some Classic Rock (Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan)
some Moderen or "Aternative" Rock (Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead)
some Indie Rock (Modest Mouse, Doves)
Gothic Rock (Miranda Sex Garden, Mira)
I also like classical and world (perticularly Indian) music, so I'd say my taste is pretty diverse within metal and throught music

I like most metal
Death (Immolation, Morbid Angel)
Melodic Death (In Flames, Arch Enemy)
Black (Emperor, Mayhem)
Doom (Katatonia)
Gothic (Theatre of Tragedy, Lacuna Coil)
Nu (Mudvayne, Deftones)
Industrial (Ramsmtein, The Kovenant)
Thrash (Metallica, Pantera)
Metalcore (Zao, Underoath)
And heaps of other stuff. I dont listen to much non-metal but i do like CKY, Soundgarden and some other grunge bands.