Metal's Most Maligned Sub-Genres (And The People That Listen To Them)

I say, early Motley Crue and Wasp and Twisted Sister were not glam. Who's with me?

I think pretty much any band with big hair and eyeliner got lumped into the "glam" category. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, imo, cause i love me some full on glam, BUT, it wasn't necessarily true either. Motley, Twisted... no, i don't think early stuff was "glam"... they kinda went that way later though. WASP... i don't think they ever were glam. For me, i don't even think they fit into one genre (unless you wanna go broader "hard rock")... cause i mean they have the shock rock/in your face sexual innuendos, but they also have a very serious side as well... i dunno, but fuck I love them!

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you follow one of WASP's best songs with a heap of shit like that unplugged performance?

EDIT: I love The Crimson Idol, but I care not for unplugged versions; they're one of the main reasons the '90's sucked.

I couldn't possibly disagree anymore. i love their unplugged stuff... especially the idol. It shows another side to them. I love how emotion filled all their songs are... raw sexuality or desperation and despair... Blackie is amazing. It shows they can fucking own it whether its with a hardcore anthem or an acoustic ballad.

The only DBM bands I can think of that are even good are Forgotten Woods and Mutiilation (if you count them).

I couldn't possibly disagree anymore. i love their unplugged stuff... especially the idol. It shows another side to them. I love how emotion filled all their songs are... raw sexuality or desperation and despair... Blackie is amazing. It shows they can fucking own it whether its with a hardcore anthem or an acoustic ballad.

But the album version wasn't fully acoustic. The song suffers when stripped down to street performer level.

EDIT: On DSBM, Xasthur's Subliminal Genocide was a decent album, Nocturnal Depression has some good soloing, and Shining is fucking amazing all the way around. Granted, only Nocturnal Depression is truly DSBM, and thus shows my general dislike for this genre.

I don't even like the idea of black metal being a "suicidal" genre. It should be self-empowering if anything.

Well, I have few fav bands in DSBM and SuicidalBM : Shining (I hate Kvarforth being a poser) - Silencer - Wehmut - Thy Light and some other that I don't remember now.
But all in all Depressive/Suicidal Black Metal is a poor music genre. poor in music poor in talent poor in quality poor in everything.

I tend to agree with that,with the excpetion of Nocturnal Depression's Fjaer(Spring) and that's mainly due to the riff in that song,I don't mind Xasthur especially Telepathic With The Deceased,Malefic was messing around with some diseased atmospheres on that recording but other that that,most depressive stuff i've heard sux.
Oops,I meant to say 'The Funeral Of Being',not 'Telepathic'.