Metal's Most Maligned Sub-Genres (And The People That Listen To Them)

Do you really want me to do a google search and list the hundreds of websites here that decribe them as kind of metal? Some people just thrive in useless and meaningless debate. :rolleyes:

Metal is such an easy classification for a lot of different bands undeserving of the title. Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Korn, Slipknot, etc. have been associated with metal time and time again (usually by people who use metal as a blanket term and don't know much about the style otherwise) but it's pretty commonly understood that those bands are still NOT metal.

Do you really want me to do a google search and list the hundreds of websites here that decribe them as kind of metal? Some people just thrive in useless and meaningless debate. :rolleyes:

You are so fucking dense. It's clear that you are only here to troll at this point because it's been pointed out to you that THE DEFINITIVE METAL WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET does not have SOAD or Static-X on it, and you won't acknowledge it.

Troll.

S.O.A.D. and Static-X has been described and discussed on this forum by many of its members as being metal many times before, and as I already mentioned, they are described as metal in just about any album review you can find, and music critics are generally the ones that know the most about music too. Don't forget to send all these lost souls a newsflash that some death/black metal fan somewhere with a carrot up his ass thinks they're not metal. So pathetic it's amusing....

Direct me to people who have referred to them as metal because I can't think of anyone on this forum that does that. Get back to me when you figure out that heavy music does not automatically file under the metal tag.

S.O.A.D. and Static-X has been described and discussed on this forum by many of its members as being metal many times before, and as I already mentioned, they are described as metal in just about any album review you can find, and music critics are generally the ones that know the most about music too. Don't forget to send all these lost souls a newsflash that some death/black metal fan somewhere with a carrot up his ass thinks they're not metal. So pathetic it's amusing....

here let me copy what I said before for you.

You are so fucking dense. It's clear that you are only here to troll at this point because it's been pointed out to you that THE DEFINITIVE METAL WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET does not have SOAD or Static-X on it, and you won't acknowledge it.

Troll.

When you can understand what that says, please come back to talk like a rational and logical human being instead of a helmet wearing droolcup who froths at the mouth typing up angry statements about garbage music.

More or less the industrial tinged type. I've been here long enough for most to know I'm no culty-cultist (hell, I find Darkthrone superbly mediocre, with their best being Total Death and Ravishing Grimness), but I find this industrial black metal nonsense to be entirely devoid of worth, other than one album from Aborym and the Thorns self-titled. I've tried and tried, listening to Diabolicum, Dodheimsgard, Thee Maldoror Kollective (it was decent) among others. 666 International is hailed as a masterpiece, but I found it to be danceable black metal for retards. Don't get me started on Satyricon, who IMO, have offered metal nothing but big egos.

Some people find this mini sub genre worth while and that's great. I simply find it sterile and lifeless.

So in the spirit of the thread, this is my most maligned sub genre.

Like Krow said, lets make a thread for everyone to ingnore NocturnalNemesis. This guy had been worse than I've ever been and that saying something. He trolls and thinks SOAD and Static-X are metal.

More or less the industrial tinged type. I've been here long enough for most to know I'm no culty-cultist (hell, I find Darkthrone superbly mediocre, with their best being Total Death and Ravishing Grimness), but I find this industrial black metal nonsense to be entirely devoid of worth, other than one album from Aborym and the Thorns self-titled. I've tried and tried, listening to Diabolicum, Dodheimsgard, Thee Maldoror Kollective (it was decent) among others. 666 International is hailed as a masterpiece, but I found it to be danceable black metal for retards. Don't get me started on Satyricon, who IMO, have offered metal nothing but big egos.

Some people find this mini sub genre worth while and that's great. I simply find it sterile and lifeless.

So in the spirit of the thread, this is my most maligned sub genre.

You must REALLY hate Samael

i actually like some Samael. I like Ceremony of Opposites, Rebellion and some of Passage. I tried to like Eternal and everything after, but couldnt get into it at all.

Nu metal. Before I started listening to extreme metal, I listened to the radio a lot. Around the age of 14, I started listening extensively to an alternative rock station that played a lot of grunge and nu metal. Unlike most people, I first got into metal by listening to nu metal then started listening to the more extreme stuff around 16. I don't listen to Korn and Slipknot as often as I used to, but I still like them.

Metalcore. 90% of what my brother listens to on a regular basis is metalcore. Most of the bands he listens to I don't like at all. He listens mainly to Christian bands like Underoath, Demon Hunter, Norma Jean, The Devil Wears Prada, and As I Lay Dying. My preferences are more along the lines Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Bullet For My Valentine, The Agonist, Trivium, and Bleeding Through, and a couple of others.

Hair metal. I don't really give a shit about hair metal with the exceptions of KISS, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, and a couple of others.

Like Know said, lets make a thread for everyone to ingnore NocturnalNemesis. This guy had been worse than I've ever been and that saying something. He trolls and thinks SOAD and Static-X are metal.

Shut up Randy, you should empathise with this person as you've been in his shoes. As far as I can see he's just defending some bands he likes (maybe a tad too staunchly, but whatever) while Obscure Infinity, Velocibrad and VVVVV all act like retarded metal bullies. OH MY GOD YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF METAL ARCHIVES OMG LOL. :rolleyes:

And do we really wanna get into the 'nu-metal isn't metal' argument again?

Here's some good nu-metal:

I concur.

Here's some good SOAD:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I looked up your precious Metal Archives and there's something you forgot to mention: bands only obtain profiles on there if a user actually takes the time to sit down and write an entire profile for them. So now just because no-one has taken the time to write a profile for SOAD or Static-X, does that somehow mean they're not metal? If something isn't listed in Wikipedia, does that mean it doesn't exist? And if someone sat down today and wrote a profile for SOAD or Static-X today on this metal archive, would that suddenly magically make them metal? Your reasoning and logic is flawed, useless and in fact quite sadly pathetic.
In response to your idiocy I offer the following links and info below, (I could surf the Internet all day to cough up links like this if I wanted to, there's so many out there) and it is blatantly clear that since nu-metal and industrial metal are obviously sub-genres of metal, SOAD and Static=X therefore must obviously be metal (DUH!). And not only are they metal, but they are both make relatively unique (especially SOAD) and original-sounding metal, rather than just copying other bands. In short, you might as well forget your ideas of these two bands not being metal as a silly little ill-conceived joke that is best left forgotten. :rolleyes:

"System of a Down's self-titled major-label debut finds the Los Angeles band consolidating its gothic alt-metal, sharpening its deadly riffs, strengthening its brutal rhythms, and adding muscle to its attack. The band differentiates itself from the legions of Southern Californian alt-metalheads by emphasizing its Armenian musical heritage, which gives the music an eerie, otherworldly quality. Part of the success of System of a Down lies with producer Rick Rubin, who helps give the band focus, but ultimately the record works because of the band itself, since they have contributed a set of strong songs that illustrates this is a band that relies on smarts as well as sound. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

The music of System of a Down reveals the Armenian heritage of the four members, fusing furious alternative metal with folky flourishes and reaping platinum-selling commercial success.
http://www.amazon.com/System-of-a-Down/e/B000APC7A6/ref=ac_dpt_sa_bio/176-8989247-7898924

"Chop Suey!," the first single from System of a Down's Toxicity, would have you believe that frontman Serj Tankian suffers from the same bipolar vocal style that most nü-metal singers are afflicted with: juggling verses and choruses that bounce from Angry Young Man to Sad Young Man and back again. The track perfects the familiar style (acoustic guitars, punctuated rhythms and sweet harmonized hooks blend to make an undeniable rock hit), yet it's ultimately misleading—Toxicity proves that System of a Down is not just another nü-metal two-trick pony. http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/system-of-a-down-toxicity/180

Their sound incorporates elements of industrial music and heavy metal in a sub-genre called industrial metal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static-X

Static X's music combined aggressive metal and thrash with industrial overtones and techno pulse.
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Static-X/898/

Static-X are an industrial-metal band from Los Angeles, formed in 1994 by singer/guitarist Wayne Static and drummer Ken Jay, joined by bass player Tony Campos and guitarist Koichi Fukada
."
www.amazon.com

:headbang:

Look at the rules and guidelines. Nu-metal bands aren't accepted on the archives. None of those sites you listed are metal-based so of course they are going to use "metal" as a blanket term. It doesn't seem like you're even reading what me and others are posting so I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this. I suggest growing a sense of security about your music taste so you don't get butthurt every time someone posts an opinion (or in this case, fact) that you don't like.