Nu metal
Post-metal
Power metal
Progressive metal
Sludge metal
Speed metal
Stoner metal
Thrash metal

But don't you guys think that It's a bit silly when someone says "metalcore with some thrashed out doom and some black riffs with some hair is called punkemohardcore"

Other examples include

Cowpunk
Skapunkcore

Who knows what other fucked up names kids have made up for these music fusions, but I think It's just fucking stupid.

I'm even okay with metalcore, deathcore, and other known "cores"

I just honestly think that people should not come up with a new fucking sub-sub-sub-sub-sub genre when a band decides to experiment.

Anyone agree?

but what if it doesn't fit? there wasn't always "Viking metal" or "folk metal" or "black metal," but then it happened, and you needed a new name for it.

Meh, I think it's all merely how specific you want to be. You could call it all metal and be done with it if you want. Or you could be extremely specific. I don't think there's anything ridiculous about it because I know there is real music being referred to. I don't agree in, for example "Pirate Metal" being a genuine genre of metal. But there are metal bands with pirate themes, so I don't find the term itself ridiculous even though I don't agree with the idea that it is a bonafide subgenre.

I like to pretend that there are 5 genres of metal: Black, Death, Thrash, Doom & Power. But then some great stuff gets left out.

but what if it doesn't fit? there wasn't always "Viking metal" or "folk metal" or "black metal," but then it happened, and you needed a new name for it.

Yes, but I think one would know when there is an actual need for a new genre name. It would be a whole new revolutionary sound, not just some riffs and vocals changed.

Understood. But there are so many varieties within said subgenres that you need to add extra descriptions. "Black metal" for example could be Anaal Nathrakh, Beherit, Cradle of Filth, Wolves in the Throne Room, Dornenreich...none of which sound even close to each other. I do agree that trying to peg any subgenre name with more than three words as its own subgenre is kind of lame.

When I see people categorizing some bands into these 3-5 word sub-sub-sub genres.

I mean, it just has to be one of the "main" sub genres. I'll even consider a name for another style of that "main" sub genre, but going on and on like I said in my previous post, skapunkcore? So stupid.

I like Jari's description of Wintersun. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something like: "Extreme epic melodic technical progressive folk/power metal."

My favorite is "wizard metal" which encompasses black, viking, folk, power, and prog (but I don't like prog that much). I made it up.

My favorite is "wizard metal" which encompasses black, viking, folk, power, and prog (but I don't like prog that much). I made it up.

Wizard metal would be metal that is strictly about Harry Potter. Or, at least, that's what "wizard rock" means so I think there would be consistency.

Wizard metal can include demons, wizards, witches, vampires, elves, hobbits, Gondor, Satan, Elizabeth Bathory, anything with flutes...by my definitions "wizard metal" is anything with lyrical/thematic content that is fantasy-derived and nerdy.