How far does your taste branch out within the realms of metal?

Heh, yeah, I've heard Deltron and all kinds of that stuff that commonly gets called "backpacker" hip-hop. I have some friends who are really into that stuff. It's much less appealing to me than that really bleak, raw, often sparse RZA production.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a close-minded fuck. :D

Nah, not really. I just, as I've said before, have trouble enjoying harsh vocals. I keep trying, and I can enjoy a little bit of melo-death, but for the most part I'm happy with any metal with a singer. Power, prog, traditional, glam, some folk, some thrash, a very small amount of fusions stuff that doesn't descend into emo screaming or rapping.

I've got nothing against other genres; more power to 'em. I certainly don't think anything is particularly "not metal". Just my taste.

Heh, yeah, I've heard Deltron and all kinds of that stuff that commonly gets called "backpacker" hip-hop. I have some friends who are really into that stuff. It's much less appealing to me than that really bleak, raw, often sparse RZA production.
Agreed. All of the early Wu Tang/Wu Tang solo projects stuff is really good. Even their tangential associates like Killah Priest or Sunz of Man are decent

Only one of the most talented rap collectives ever.

If you just don't like rap, that's another thing and why bother commenting?

I would like to jump on the Wu-tang wagon and say that I love their first album. It is the only thing I have heard or own by them and it is fucking great.

Within the realms of metal I listen to everything from radio friendly Alt-Metal, Nu-Metal, and Metalcore to Brutal Death Metal, Jazz Fusion, Melodic Death Metal, etc. I don't like being confined to one area, m'kay? :headbang: Other than that, I listen to EVERYTHING except Crunkcore. That shit is just... :OMG:

I'm pretty picky with what I like, and I know what I don't like. some genres annoy me just on the basis of why they exists, or their image, and it annoys me when anyone says a form of metal isn't, "real metal", Other then that, I accept all forms of metal, But only Listen to Death metal.

I use to be into alt rock/ scene years ago (the used, taking back sunday), and it got boring. I was in a band and my friend wanted me to play metal, and I always thought metal was so bland and generic, and didn't sound good. I forced myself to listen to old school metal and thrash (I could never get into thrash) and it wasn't until one day something sparked, and metal became interesting, unique, I learned of other genres, still closing myself to the more brutal ones.

as I got older, The metal got heavier, I also liked listening to Nu - metal and experimental, because the sound was new and unique, the problem with that though was it was too diverse and I couldn't settle down with it. later through a friend she showed me deathcore like white chapel, suicide silence etc, and I got into that.. for about 10 minutes. too boring, And around that time I found death metal, reluctant to continue investigating it, as even the name, "Cannibal corpse" disgusted me, I pressed on, what I found was some of the best sounding (to me) shit I've ever heard, and this was recently like last summer...

browsed through youtube, went on band websites, trying to learn and listen to as much as possible. Particular like to "slam" and its catchy riffs. I just listen to Death metal now though.

I don't like any other genres, Metal is amazing and definitely the best music around with a lot of open minded people (aswell as closed minded. With all other genres, I've learned to appreciate a band on its greatness, and criticize where needed. though im still learning a bit lol.

I love metal, it's my favorite genre, but I am not one of those annoying metalheads who stays strictly to metal and thinks lowly of non-metal listeners.

I like classic rock and pop, ie., Billy Joel, one of my favorite artists, Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull, etc. I like some rap, not the new crap, but old stuff like MF Doom, Public Enemy, and Illogic. The only modern pop artists/bands I love are Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Paramore. I also LOVE bluegrass, Jazz, and classical music. :)

today i've listened to:
the pixies
root
quicksilver messenger service
radiohead
fifty foot hose
mad river
SOAD
13th floor elevators
angus
dwarr
voivod

And here I thought I was to blame, after mentioning krautrock, musique concréte, noise, ambient, Swans, etc.

What do you mean? Isn't that Lady Gaga in your avatar?! :Smug:

Only one of the most talented rap collectives ever.

If you just don't like rap, that's another thing and why bother commenting?

I bought their first two albums... better than what's popular but I still didn't see the big deal. I'm pretty varied in my tastes so... yeah my comment still stands.

I like a little bit of something from all metal genres, but most metal bands, by and large, either suck or are merely mediocre. I have the same attitude towards people - I like people from every race/culture/creed, but most can swing from a tree by the neck for all I care.