How far does your taste branch out within the realms of metal?

I forgot to mention Current 93 as one of my favorites, now that I look at your signature. Tenhi too. I've also been delving deeper into classical music.

I fucking love Current 93. I never knew who they were until I heard Rotting Christ's cover of 'Lucifer Over London', so I bought a random album and fell in love.

Buying a random Current 93 album could end in so many different ways.

I love C93, but love Di6 even more.

If you guys haven't heard The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud, get Amara Tanta Tiri.

People need to listen to more neofolk and martial industrial in general.

Not really, considering I've posted about it before. :p Mostly stuff that Omni introduced me to of course, but also stuff that I was vaguely interested in for years and finally looked into in more detail. Bands like Swans, Dead Can Dance, Death in June, Sol Invictus, Rome, Elend, Queen, Kammarheit, Van der Graaf Generator, etc.

I've really fallen in love with Rome recently. They're an amazing act.

Are you familiar with Triarii?
I am, yes, but all I have is Piece Heroique and I need to hear more.

In a similar vein I love Karjalan Sissit (the new one, Fucking Whore Society, is excellent), Von Thronstahl (Bellum, Sacrum Bellum!? is ridiculously good), Dernière Volonté, etc.

I've only been seriously listening to music for about three years now, and my taste seemed to pretty much reinvent itself every four months or so until sometime late last year; and it makes sense, given the fact that my personality has done the exact same thing. I'm almost positive it can just be attributed to the whole manic adolescent growth period.

I feel like I've laid down a solid framework for my future musical endeavors over the past year or so. About 90% of what I listen to is "true" death/black metal at the moment; but bands like Kraftwerk, King Crimson, Dead Can Dance, Discharge, Swans, and the like have become staples of my play lists in 2009. I've got a lot of interest in older progressive rock, ambient music, and just about anything that expresses ideals that I subscribe to/find interesting as long as the music has depth and replay value.

Regarding classical music: I have an immense interest in becoming an avid fan of just about any era of classical music, but I don't feel "right" listening to it when I understand so little about it. I listen to the typical Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky and such on a pretty regular basis, but I suspect that it'll balance out metal 50/50 when I'm about thirty and have studied it formally.

@Dodens, I take it back. Also, Van Der Graaf Generator are very cool.

@the above post: Not necessarily directed at you, but I've noticed a lot of people mentioning an intention to listen to classical music despite not really being particularly interested in it, obviously because it is for some reason regarded as a requirement of any intelligent person that they be at least somewhat well-versed in classical music. There's nothing wrong with listening to classical music, obviously, but I think a lot of people listen or want to listen to it for the wrong reasons.

Another thing I'd like to point out:

There is nothing better than walking home on a rainy afternoon with ColdWorld playing.

The interest doesn't stem from some frivolous desire for intellectual fulfillment as much as it does the fact that classical music is revered above all other styles for its depth and significance (which I don't fully understand and won't until I've completed years of both formal and informal study) by cool people. I just know that a vast majority of the works I'll regard as masterpieces that changed my life when I look back as an old fuck will be attributed to artists like Morbid Angel and Mozart equally.

People who listen to metal and want to appreciate classical need only listen to Igor Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring".

I've always found it interesting how most metal fans have similar tastes in non-metal music.

faggots like me aren't exactly common within the metal community i guess

/me np: This Will Destroy You - [This Will Destroy You #01] A Three-Legged Workhorse [190 kbps]

Not really, considering I've posted about it before. :p Mostly stuff that Omni introduced me to of course, but also stuff that I was vaguely interested in for years and finally looked into in more detail. Bands like Swans, Dead Can Dance, Death in June, Sol Invictus, Rome, Elend, Queen, Kammarheit, Van der Graaf Generator, etc.

Have you listened to The Stooges yet? If no, WHY THE FUCK NOT!?!

I just remember reading an article about some gay faggot local deathcore bands that had had a 'fight' and how the vocalist of one of them had urinated on a female fan who refused to have sex with him.

Then I looked at those bands, their straightened fringes, their skinny jeans, and thought, yaaaaah naw. :puke:
:lol: I think that was Bring Me the Horizon.

Terrible band indeed.

I just recently fell in love with the Swans. Incredibly powerful sound, a unique style of songwriting, and often great lyrics. Omni definitely caused me to pay more attention to post-punk music, and I find much of it very easy to enjoy due to the cynicism, the atmosphere, and the generally dark vibe.

Have you listened to much classic prog rock? If you like VDGG I'd say at least King Crimson is mandatory listening, and I'd strongly recommend Gentle Giant as well.

I give most metal genres a run these days sans metalcore (and anything ----core) nu-metal and perhaps raw black metal. It all depends on my mood. However, I am a metal journeyman (only really been into metal music for about 18 months), so my tastes are and will be constantly altering.

I mostly listen to death, black, death/black, some doom, some brutal shit/grind and I love classical music (although only romantic era, I hate classicism). I like a lot of czech pop and I can enjoy a lot of country (although mainly czech) and I like some hip-hop too.

What I hate is deathcore/numetal and most of powermetal and the bands they call themself progressive (death)metal. Fuck off Opeth, Dream Theatre and modern progressive deathmetal like Augury, Cynic etc., it's just a stupid gay shit, fuck them.

EDIT: You know my last.fm url so w/e.