Top Albums of the Past Decade? (2007- 2016)

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
A decent idea to do something more far reaching before we reach year's end and everyone is doing year specific lists? Let's not treat this as a poll, but more just for spotting shit that might have flown under the radar. We don't need a mini-review, but maybe a brief descriptor of the album's sound would be helpful to folks who haven't heard something before! Top 10/20/30 whatever you feel "of note" comes down to.

Here's mine IE mostly atmospheric/psychedelic stuff. I'll admit some recency bias, but damn if 2015/2016 especially didn't have a lot of amazing music! Emphasized my top 5.

• Akhlys - The Dreaming I (Fucking sinister, dark, occult, ritualistic atmoblack. Heavy use of ambient elements. Top 5)
  • Aquilus - Griseus (Neoclassical Atmoblack. The texture is very Atmoblack, but the song structures sounds like it could be the soundtrack to a movie.)
  • Ash Borer - Cold of Ages (Atmoblack. It is indeed very cold sounding. Special note of the album intro. Shit gives me chills every time.)
  • Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II (Spacey black metal)
  • Burzum - Belus (Burzum)
  • Dordeduh - Dar De Duh (Unique mix of Atmoblack/Romanian folk. Nice variance between almost completely BM to folky chanting tracks, plus some mixing the two)
  • Drowning the Light - From The Abyss (Not the most precise, but I think of this as Summoning's much darker little brother)
  • Fyrnask - Eldir Nótt (Atmoblack. Super occult/ritualistic sounding. More aggressive than Akhlys)
  • Hoth - Oathbreaker (Melodic Black/Death. Kind of all over the place with it's influences)
  • Hyperion - Seraphical Euphony (Melodic BM. Catchy-as-fuck. Maybe derivative of the genre in general, but still amazing)
  • Ihsahn - Arktis (A smattering of genres but mostly progressive metal with some BM and electronic influences. Wasn't a fan initially, but this one of the biggest 'growers' for me, ever)
  • Isis - Wavering Radiant (Post-metal/Atmospheric Sludge. Somehow airy, but thick. Love the production)
  • Krallice - Dimensional Bleedthrough (Dissonant and simply fucking weird avante garde black metal. Actually sounds like reality is tearing apart as you listen. I normally don't dig stuff so dissonant but this is the tits)
  • Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith (Another spacey black metal, but almost friendlier and more triumphant than some others of this sound)
  • Moonsorrow - Viides luku – Hävitetty (Epic as fuck longwinded Black/Folk/Prog. Top 5)
  • Morbus Chron - Sweven (Psychedelic avante-death I suppose? Very unique!)
  • Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel (Ukranian Black/Folk. Melodies different a good bit from other folky stuff.)
  • Om - Advaitic Songs (Stoner/Mantra Doom- huge mid-east vibe)
  • Spaceslug - Lemanis (Stoner that sounds like the album art. Very friendly and warm, yet spacey almost like... riding a mollusk in space)
  • Spectral Lore - III (Atmoblack. Saying something about the awesome album art since they're tough to describe, despite being so amazing)
  • Sunnata - Zorya (Fucking thick but super melodic Stoner/Sludge. Some catchy bits too, which isn't always the case with this variety)
  • Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters (Atmoblack. Heavier on the atmospherics than many might like, and certainly takes it time with build up, but fuck if it aint good. Arguably one of the albums that set off so many new Atmoblack bands the past decade. Top 5)
  • Vektor - Terminal Redux (Everyone knows this, I'm sure, but a bit of a genre breaker in Progressive Thrash. Top 5)
  • Yob - Clearing The Path To Ascend (Progressive Stoner/Sludge is the best label I could give. Definitely has a more creative edge than many of the style)
  • Zaum - Oracles (Droney/Psychedelic Stoner. Similar to Om with the mid-east vibe. I actually like it better than Om TBH)

Not completely metal:
  • Bong - Mana-Yood-Sushai (Psych. but with so much drone I couldn't quite call it metal)
  • Forgotten Kingdoms - Blue Moon Gate Between Worlds (I'm trying to delve into Dungeonsynth more but I just keep coming back to this one whenever I'm even feeling that genre in general)
  • Space Invaders - Dreadnought (Psychedelic/Space Rock)
  • Wardruna - Yggdrasil (Ritual/Tribal ambient. Single-handedly got me interested in Ambient and Neofolk genres. Top 5)
  • Yuri Gagarin - At The Center Of All Infinity (Psychedelic/Space Rock)

Last edited:
Straight off the top of my head, Revelation's 2009 album For the Sake of No One would definitely be in my top albums from the last decade, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Draehl
Actually I think I want to leave the years between 2007 and 2017 alone, for @no country for old wainds' year games.

But I don't see many people discussing non-metal best of lists, I might work on something like that.

Oh, if he's eventually doing all the years then we might just delete this thread. Don't wanna step on any toes. Maybe we can do a top non-metal like you said. Who are the mods nowadays? Haven't paid it any attention.

same here. even if only a few people participate it'd be fun. i'd rather not host it myself though heh

i actually have only been using the range 1980-2009 in the RNG for my polls, but i'm not against doing 2010-2017. in fact i'm planning a 2017 poll in the same vein as the others toward the end of the year.

p.s. if people aren't aware, on RYM you can type e.g. '2008s' into a custom chart URL and it'll list everything from 2008-2017. most people are aware you can do 2000s, 2010s etc as they're options on the dropdown menu, but you can actually look up any ten year range you like. i don't think it works when you're searching your own profile though unfortunately.

Last edited:
Just a bunch of releases off the top of my head.

Cobalt - Gin (2009)
Alda - :Tahoma: (2011)
Blood Incantation - Starspawn (2016)
The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm (2009)
Paradise Lost - The Struggle Within (2015)
Soilwork - The Living Infinite (2013)
Winterfylleth - The Ghost of Heritage (2008)

Do it with a randomly-selected year first and open things up to the 70s (since I imagine on a metal forum there are a lot of people that at least listen to 70s rock music).

Reactions: crimsonfloyd