The 50 top "extreme metal albums" from Metal-Rules.com

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Metal-Rules.com has done it again, another lame list. This time any "extreme" album in the list, must be at least 5-10 years old- apparently contemporary stuff is shit- and also only a handful of black metal bands, melodic death bands, and a few death bands are considered. Mercyful Fate somehow takes the top two spots- Im trying to figure this out. Just look at the list- it is a lot better than their top 100 list- but god these fuckers just dont stop with their horrible attempts at objective lists.

Also, check out their contradictions about melodic death. In the introduction, they state that they disallowed melodic death from the list, I guess because it's not extreme enough. Yet in the list itself we find At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, and Arch Enemy... all melodic death bands. And also, further damning their idiotic introduction, they call At the Gates melodic death in the blurb they put about that album! Idiots...

THese guys are obviously into the more traditional forms of heavy metal and thrash. They don't even venture into the more extreme forms of metal.THe majority of that music is very safe.

I mean c'mon. They have 4 Arch Enemy albums and only 1 Carcass album? And that Carcass album is Heartwork, the band's most melodic release (barring Swansong which was death n' roll), and the website says that they tried to disallow melo-death.

These guys need to be more adventurous.

Dreamlord said:
THese guys are obviously into the more traditional forms of heavy metal and thrash. They don't even venture into the more extreme forms of metal.THe majority of that music is very safe.

I mean c'mon. They have 4 Arch Enemy albums and only 1 Carcass album? And that Carcass album is Heartwork, the band's most melodic release (barring Swansong which was death n' roll), and the website says that they tried to disallow melo-death.

These guys need to be more adventurous.

That list is fucked up. When I hear "extreme" I think of Blood Red Throne, Necrophobic, Suffocation, etc.

uhm. Is that a joke?

Lets see...

They didn't really exclude melodic death (I counted 12 albums in there)... There was quite a large emphasis on death metal to the exclusion of most other things... No grindcore...

*scratches head in a puzzled way* I guess nobody agrees with all lists, but still..