Anyone see this top 100 metal albums list from Metal-Rules.com?

certainly a helluva lot better than the 'top bands' list on this board. Opeth #1 band?? Dark Tranquility in the top 10?? pffft

i agree with nazareth. i also agree that the metal-rules list sucks too. many of the bands on the metal-rules list aren't even metal. you're never gonna make everyone happy..
the list here was pretty sad too, way too much gothenburg-style.. i guess thats my main peave with both of them.. too much of one style.. compared to an overall amount of all types of metal

Dark Tranaquilty is better than SLayer- or AC DC? I mean Slayer and Ac DC are classics and innovators- but then again Dark Tranquility is an innovator as well- So its hard to say- this is a good point Luminous.

I'm struggling to find something positive to say about that list... and failing.

I read that list fairly quickly, but I think the only sign the 90s happened on that list was In Flames...

Yes, these things will always be opinion based and fuelled, but really, I'm not agreeing with their opinion of metal, let alone the best albums... Nope. Not impressed. I'm reading some reviews on that site, and they're generally good if a little misinformed (I'd welcome some more second opinions in places)...

While I can see why people mightn't like the list at this forum, its a good representation of whats popular in metal atm, and thats all it should really be taken as. Currently the craze is for melo-death.

That... ah well.

The reviews on that site are laughable. Every single one follows the same formula:

This is a (insert completely meaningless genre classification - anything that isn't power metal is to be classified as death/black) from (insert record label). It was recorded in (insert year), and contains some (brutal/heavy/catchy depending on what the reviewer had for breakfast) riffs. I (like/dislike) it (some random number)/5

I mean four out of the five reviews they did of Dance of Death got 4.5 out of 5 - 'nuff said.

Currently the craze is for melo-death? Hahahhahaha. Yeah right. Only Arch Enemy are still playing melo-death among the popular bands doing it. No, melo-death was the big style when I started listening to metal, about 1998. Then you had all the clone bands pouring out, like Soilwork, Gardenian, etc. There was a new melo-death band every day, and they were always incredibly generic. In Flames and Soilwork right now are probably the most popular from that style, and their last albums had almost nothing to do with melo-death whatsoever. That style is very quickly being replaced by something new, something even more homoerotic and terrible.

LuminousAether said:
Currently the craze is for melo-death? Hahahhahaha. Yeah right. Only Arch Enemy are still playing melo-death among the popular bands doing it. No, melo-death was the big style when I started listening to metal, about 1998. Then you had all the clone bands pouring out, like Soilwork, Gardenian, etc. There was a new melo-death band every day, and they were always incredibly generic. In Flames and Soilwork right now are probably the most popular from that style, and their last albums had almost nothing to do with melo-death whatsoever. That style is very quickly being replaced by something new, something even more homoerotic and terrible.

then what would you call the last dark tranquillity album?

Luminous: Ok, I was being lazy to a point... but In Flames, Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Opeth - all get labelled as melodic death fairly routinely, and they're certainly the most popular/commercial bands atm...