GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of the 00s

Bloopy

Feb 10, 2008
New Zealand
www.bloopy.org
RULES:
– Post up to 10 releases (5 minimum) and number your list. Your 1st pick gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9 etc. etc., 10th gets 1 point. Feel free to list more albums, but they won't count as picks.

– Metal releases only.

– EPs, demos etc. are eligible too. Anything originally released 2000-2009.

– If you can't see through your tears to rank your list, then each of your picks gets 5.5 points coz math.

4f2u4cs.gif

Results for other decades (no shame in adding lists to these threads if you missed out):
1990s
1980s
1970s

Some of the least remarkable years in metal for sure, but with some great developments in the drone/post-metal/atmospheric sludge sorta realms which I love.

I participated when Encyclopaedia Metallum polled this decade, but Ludicra's become a favourite since and I'm relistening to stuff anyway to make a list of at least 20, so UM will get a beefier list from me. We prioritised polling some cooler shit like the 70s and 80s.

Keep this open til at least the end of the summer. Hard work ahead.
All through your made-up summer and stretching out towards the actual Southern Hemisphere summer that gets Santa's baubles sweating.

• Haha
Reactions: CiG
The number of new metal albums I bought in this decade ranged from 1 to 5 per year (in the late eighties/early nineties it had been up to 50 per year), thus as far as quantity is concerned, I could say that this decade was very disappointing for me (not that the one which followed was any better in this regard). But four of my overall favourite and also overall most-played albums were released in this decade. Therefore, it was still a very good decade for me. Here's my top 10 (with two albums at no. 3):

1. Atrox - Terrestrials
2. Atrox - Contentum
3. Stolen Babies - There Be Squabbles Ahead
3. Madder Mortem - Deadlands
5. Midnattsol - Nordlys
6. Atrox - Orgasm
7. Madder Mortem - Eight Ways
8. Bergtatt - Røtter
9. Ava Inferi - Blood of Bacchus
10. Candlemass - Candlemass

1. Orange Goblin – Coup De Grace
2. Bolt Thrower - Honour · Valour · Pride
3. Dezperadoz – Dawn Of Dying
4. Pitch Black Forecast – Absentee
5. Cosmic Psychos – Off Ya Cruet!
6. Frenzal Rhomb – San Souci
7. Orange Goblin – Thieving From The House of God
8. Tenet – Sovereign
9. Temple Of Brutality – Lethal Agenda
10. Cosmic Psychos - Dung Australia

Okay, that turned out a bit different to what I thought it would be.

Edit:
That was very rude of me. I shouldn't have spoken with such vitriol and used such rude words. So instead I'll be nice and change my response to...

Get Fucked.

Last edited:
  • Haha
1. The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld

the chasm procession to the infraworld.jpg

2. Dissection - ReinkaΩs

dissection reinkaos.jpg

3. Deathspell Omega - Inquisitors of Satan

deathspell omega inquisitors.jpg

4. The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire

the chasm conjuration.jpg

5. Grand Belial's Key - Judeobeast Assassination

gbk judeobeast.jpg

6. Morrigan - Headcult

morrigan headcult.jpg

7. Sorhin - Apokalypsens ängel

sorhin apokalypsens.jpg

8. Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels

dead congregation graves.jpg

9. Immolation - Close to a World Below

immolation close to a world below.jpg

10. Sarcófago - Crust

sarcofago crust.jpg

HM:
11. Clandestine Blaze / Deathspell Omega - Split
12. Deströyer 666 - Cold Steel... for an Iron Age
13. Warloghe - Womb of Pestilence
14. Dub Buk - Русь понад усе!
15. Immolation - Unholy Cult
16. Slugathor - Circle of Death
17. Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness
18. Vader - Litany
19. Mortuary Drape - Tolling 13 Knell
20. Bekhira - L'Élu du Mal
21. Manilla Road - Atlantis Rising
22. Slough Feg - Hardworlder
23. Nifelheim - Servants of Darkness
24. Dark Moor - The Hall of Olden Dreams
25. The Crown - Deathrace King

Last edited:
I discovered Metal in 2003 as a teenager so this is a decade of nostalgia that very much colors my choices. What's interesting is that there's not a lot from my favorite sub-genres in this era that will make the list. I'm not familiar with much Trad/Epic Doom from the decade (partly because I wasn't into it at all back then and also because it's heyday was earlier). The Death Metal of this decade was primarily brutal/tech that mostly didn't have a lot of staying power for me. I'm more of an OSDM guy and I think we are undeniably in a better decade for Death Metal right now than we were in the 2000s. There's a fair bit of Black/Folk/etc. that I'm considering which would, in other decades, probably not make up as high a proportion of my list. An important decade for me with a lot of high highs, but perhaps not as much depth as what came before or what's going on now. It's going to be a strange one for me.

Last edited: