Anyone see this top 100 metal albums list from Metal-Rules.com?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I just went to their site for the first time, after a long absence. Now I know these guys are power/traditional metal fans, but looking at their list of top 100 albums, its as if underground metal which they supposedly support is not even considered. I mean only Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Van Halen, AC DC, Black Sabbath, Dio seem to make the top 50. I think Dismember is the first to crack the list. Now, I know these bands are influential and put out some quality albums, but damn do these guys have any taste? I mean this list could have been released in the 1980's I think they are stuck in the 80's over at that site.

Should sites like this, be allowed to make such lists; lists that mislead the average metal fan?

Top albums lists suck, they are generally based on albums that people remember with nostalgia. Anyhow, it's all based on opinion.

speed said:
I just went to their site for the first time, after a long absence. Now I know these guys are power/traditional metal fans, but looking at their list of top 100 albums, its as if underground metal which they supposedly support is not even considered. I mean only Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Van Halen, AC DC, Black Sabbath, Dio seem to make the top 50. I think Dismember is the first to crack the list. Now, I know these bands are influential and put out some quality albums, but damn do these guys have any taste? I mean this list could have been released in the 1980's I think they are stuck in the 80's over at that site.

Should sites like this, be allowed to make such lists; lists that mislead the average metal fan?
The average metal fans has enough brains and individuality to decide if he agrees or not with any published list.

Calm down just because you disagree with the list does not give you the right to decide what should and should't be published on a web site.

Cheers

ALF I totally agree with you- thats my overall point, such lists are ridiculous- as how does the 5 or 6 person editorial staff of a mediocre web site, feel objective enough to rate the best metal albums?

The only pick I agreed with was Reign in Blood- some people just cant handle slayer though- maybe becuase they played in their own scales etc. Still, I just cant fathom putting together a list of the best albums- i mean there are like 20 or 30 albums I consider pretty much perfect for what the band set out to acheive- and every year a few more albums spring up.

speed said:
ALF I totally agree with you- thats my overall point, such lists are ridiculous- as how does the 5 or 6 person editorial staff of a mediocre web site, feel objective enough to rate the best metal albums?

The only pick I agreed with was Reign in Blood- some people just cant handle slayer though- maybe becuase they played in their own scales etc. Still, I just cant fathom putting together a list of the best albums- i mean there are like 20 or 30 albums I consider pretty much perfect for what the band set out to acheive- and every year a few more albums spring up.
First I think Metal Rules is a pretty good site. As a complete disclosure I'll say that I am a regular poster to thier board. As to what qualifies anyone to publish a list of the Top 100 metal CD's is anyone guess but let me try anyway
1)A love of metal for a start.
2)A wide knowledge and appreciation of the various genre/subgenre

There are probably some others but I would say the 2 above are essential. I know that the staff of metal rules qualify on both counts. That said do I agree with the list? No, but its a nice place to start a discussion.

Cheers

Well I admire the dedication they have at Metal- Rules- but frankly I dont care for their expert opinions. I have found their reviews to be substandard, and their editorials to be quite lame. The swedish and finnish guys that do the interviews are usually quite good however. So, I dont hate the site- but I dont see how 6 of them have the gall and the expertise to put together such a list. Maybe they should have made it a democratic affair- with voting and all.

Can any group of 6 experts select the ultimate pieces of music? Maybe if these experts include those musicians at the pinnacle of the craft- but part time web hosters need not make such lists.

This is all opinion- just like the top 100-but I am really getting sick and tired of lists- and they are usually- no always- beyond horrible.

LuminousAether said:
This is the absolute worst list I have seen. The owners of that page should be beaten and have their cds confiscated. Fucking shitbricks.
Someone forgot to remind you to take your medication. Apparently you have not seen RS best guitarist list.

Cheers

Luminous I am glad you agree with me on this- but there are a few good albums on the list( some slayer, old megadeth, I think I saw a morbid angel record)- just that is seems their list could have been made in 1989- not 2003.

this list suckz Lars Ulrich's Ass!
"Master Of Puppets" is #1 and "...And Justice For All" only #72. 2 Metallica-cd's in their top-ten and Exodus' "Bonded By Blood" only #80, Anthrax's "Among The Living" only #41, no Death Angel, no Agent Steel, no Nuclear Assault, no Whiplash, there are sooo many good thrash-bands. no Virgin Steele, this list is total bullshit, they are definitely Metallica-whorshippers!

i miss great bands like Tourniquet and Hades on this list! i miss Jag Panzer's "Thane To The Throne", i miss Metal Church, this list stinks! i miss Exciter's "Heavy Metal Maniac". there are sooo many good bands and records and they only concentrated on Metallica, Iron Maiden & Slayer.

is there even a Motörhead-record on this list?

this list is making me angry!