GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 1983

This belongs in the controversial opinion thread but I've thought for a long time that Hallowed Be Thy Name is kind of a shit song. I mean you have these amazing atmospheric first two minutes or whatever but then it just goes into this endless sequence of upbeat riffs that don't gel with the mood of the song at all. That's some Dream Theater-tier songwriting.

This belongs in the controversial opinion thread but I've thought for a long time that Hallowed Be Thy Name is kind of a shit song. I mean you have these amazing atmospheric first two minutes or whatever but then it just goes into this endless sequence of upbeat riffs that don't gel with the mood of the song at all. That's some Dream Theater-tier songwriting.

Don't agree with that at all. I mean I could get saying it's overrated relative to other songs maybe but it doesn't feel remotely happy to me, just very tense and dramatic. I will say however that on a recent listen after a multi-year break from the album, there were parts of the vocal pattern that I swear sound made for some kind of reggae/dub rhythm though.

Number of the Beast is Iron Maiden's best album, and certainly most consistent.

Number of the Beast > Piece of Mind = Powerslave > Iron MaidenKillers

Nope. It's easily the least consistent. Beginning slays, the middle drags, the last two songs are absurdly epic.
The middle drags? Are you serious?

You mean to tell me that Losfer Words, Flash of the Blade, The Duelists and Back in the Village are worse tracks than The Prisoner, Gangland, Number of the Beast, Children of the Damned and Invaders? Yeah, no thanks.

I don't know how you can say Powerslave is the least consistent when Number of the Beast is almost all filler with the exception of three excellent tracks.

Absolute insanity in this thread!

"Back in the Village" is probably the only low point on Powerslave. Number of the Beast is fucking flawless.

Invaders, Gangland or Total Eclipse are the definition of flawless album tracks to you?

I also don't think highly of Losfer Words. Prob worst track on Powerslave.

Reactions: CiG
Invaders, Gangland or Total Eclipse are the definition of flawless album tracks to you?

I also don't think highly of Losfer Words. Prob worst track on Powerslave.

Every song you mentioned right there is flawless (figuratively, of course). I don't think "Total Eclipse" was on the original release though. I think it was on the b-side of a single off the album.

The middle drags? Are you serious?

You mean to tell me that Losfer Words, Flash of the Blade, The Duelists and Back in the Village are worse tracks than The Prisoner, Gangland, Number of the Beast, Children of the Damned and Invaders? Yeah, no thanks.

I don't know how you can say Powerslave is the least consistent when Number of the Beast is almost all filler with the exception of three excellent tracks.

Yup. Back in the Village is a chore. The others are adequate, but don't live up to repeat listens.

Gangland and Invaders are decent, not great. Every other song on NotB is a 10/10.

Objectively correct ranking of the "fillers" of classic Bruce-Maiden:

Flash of the Blade (an unrecognized all-time best)
Invaders
Back in the Village (~9.5/10 tier ends)
Losfer Words
Sun & Steel
The Duellists
Quest for Fire (9/10 tier ends)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Gangland
Total Eclipse (8/10 tier ends)
The Prophecy
Deja Vu
Heaven Can Wait (7/10 tier ends)
Only the Good Die Young (5/10)

People need to stop making a big deal out of their fillers, Maiden's fillers during their peak were still at least very good/great.

The Prisoner, Number of the Beast, and Children of the Damned were not included on the ranking because of how seriously fucked in the head you have to be to regard any of those as fillers.

Reactions: Atomic Tide