okay so let's trial this here?

@Burkhard - psychotic waltz
@TechnicalBarbarity and @Bloopy - megadeth
@Talos of Atmora and @Burkhard - solitude aeturnus
@Krow and @zerostatic - incantation
@Baroque - dream theater
@Elric of Melniboné and @RadicalThrasher - demolition hammer
@Atomic Tide - bolt thrower
@Phylactery @crimsonfloyd @no country for old wainds and @Mort Divine - at the gates
@Vilden - darkthrone
@-CyanideChrist- @zerostatic @Master_Yoda77 - demigod

i guess just post your favourite song from these albums in this thread, and in cases where there's more than one person feel free to have a discussion about it, otherwise i'll just take whoever picks one first. i'm happy to make the playlist unless someone else wants to.
Do you even need to ask, considering the quote you choose?

Kathaarian Life Code ofc! :)

As regards Psychotic Waltz, I choose the title track "Into the Everflow". (Though I like "Ashes" nearly as much as the title track - I just wish the second half of this song lasted longer and didn't end rather abruptly.)

I'd do it with @Burkhard but he isn't on right now.
I'd go with "It Came upon One Night"- any objections?

Man...you know, I was going to say Plague of Procreation or The Final Sin but that isn't a bad choice either.
While I could live with "Plague of Procreation" I like "The Final Sin" definitely less. Could we agree on my choice, if the next time it should be up to us both to pick a song from an album, I'd leave it up to you to have the final say? (OK, there's no guarantee that this situation will happen again.)

I won't be able to discuss this further (if necessary) right now, because it's already past midnight here and I've got to get up early.

I think Plague of Procreation is one of the weaker songs on the album personally. I'd definitely go with Seeds of the Desolate or It Came Upon One Night.

Oh you think so? Hey do you have an Alice in Chains song to recommend? No? Then shut your pie hole

EDIT: You're probably right though. I'd nominate the title track on second thought.

Last edited:
no country didn't ask me for one :(

I'd go with Perpetual Ascent or Tears of God for Demigod prolly

Yeah I'd agree that stuff like tech death falls under the extreme progressive umbrella but it's also somewhat more limiting. Since for tech death or prog death you expect a certain sound and not the spectrum of bizarre things that can happen in a more general "extreme progressive" label.
I'd argue that experimental metal would be the final frontier for the genre. Which hasn't really been done for the most part. We've had trad, doom, sludge, power, speed, black, death, glam, groove, prog, etc. But pure, avant-garde experimental metal? A rarity that has yet to be ventured into with great depth as of yet.