GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 1992

Went back and listened to the three albums I hadn't heard. Psychotic Waltz didn't leave much of an impression. Solitude Aeturnus seems like the token traditional doom snooze-fest that each list is gonna have imposed on it. The Demolition Hammer album was actually worthwhile. I'll give that one another listen.

okay so let's trial this here?

@Elric of Melniboné and @RadicalThrasher - demolition hammer

Just catching up here ,so yeah a little late but

I'd go with the opening track/skull fracturing nightmare

or the closing track/aborticide

Skull fracturing nightmare probably my first choice unless the other guy prefers something different? Not really a bad track on there so.........

Solitude Aeturnus seems like the token traditional doom snooze-fest that each list is gonna have imposed on it.

Lol what. It's much more in the vein of epic doom like Candlemass and has some power metal leanings and even some convincing thrash sections. In fact, the 2 bands it is mostly compared with are Candlemass and Fates Warning. Your assessment sucks.

Lol what. It's much more in the vein of epic doom like Candlemass and has some power metal leanings and even some convincing thrash sections. In fact, the 2 bands it is mostly compared with are Candlemass and Fates Warning. Your assessment sucks.

I'll admit it was based on one listen, so there certainly could have been a lot that I missed out on, and there have been plenty of albums that took more than one listen to click. That said, I was bored while listening to it. I do like both of your comps though, so I'll give it another listen.

Reactions: Phylactery
Went back and listened to the three albums I hadn't heard. Psychotic Waltz didn't leave much of an impression. Solitude Aeturnus seems like the token traditional doom snooze-fest that each list is gonna have imposed on it. The Demolition Hammer album was actually worthwhile. I'll give that one another listen.

Are these your objective statements of artistic intent or just your opinions? It's hard to tell sometimes.

Reactions: Mort Divine
I'll admit it was based on one listen, so there certainly could have been a lot that I missed out on, and there have been plenty of albums that took more than one listen to click. That said, I was bored while listening to it. I do like both of your comps though, so I'll give it another listen.

Still bored on second listen. Will give it 1-2 more shots over the next few weeks, to be fair.

My post had nothing to do with you disliking it, obviously I can't help that. It was more about you calling it "token trad doom" which is a totally unfair assessment of it for the reasons I explained.

Reactions: CiG
The thing is it's not engaging me, so I'm not picking up on most of the particulars you mentioned. Thus far it's background music. Hence the need for a few more listens.

"I am a perfect objective judge of art, as long as I enjoy it"

lmao. Even if you dislike that Solitude Aeturnus album, I think you'd have to be deaf (or just entirely unfamiliar with metal riffing, possible considering your usual proclivities) to not notice that there are a lot of things about it different from most other trad doom.

"I am a perfect objective judge of art, as long as I enjoy it"

lmao. Even if you dislike that Solitude Aeturnus album, I think you'd have to be deaf (or just entirely unfamiliar with metal riffing, possible considering your usual proclivities) to not notice that there are a lot of things about it different from most other trad doom.

You obviously don't understand what it means to be unengaged. Keep swinging in the dark though.

The critical point is that if you cannot first engage an album (because of your subjective bias) in order to judge its artistic merit objectively, it contradicts the idea that you are an objective judge of music. Being able to engage any album is prerequisite to being objective. Writing off an album as "background music" after a couple listens sounds like subjective insertion of how much enjoyment you get out of the album, unless perhaps you're making the argument that it features objective qualities conducive to a background music experience, similar to ambient music.