GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums Of 1988

Stinks Razor missed the list, but at least they seemed to make a fair share of people's lists. Surprised about Incubus " Serpent Temptation" as well. I don't think anyone else even voted for them. Oh well, it was a great year

Yeah man, i love Violent Restitution. Bonafide thrash metal classic right there.

Haven't listened to that Incubus album in years though, maybe i should have given it another shot before voting but i dont even see it beating out some of the stuff in my HM list. Best year we've done so far imo.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Stinks Razor missed the list, but at least they seemed to make a fair share of people's lists. Surprised about Incubus " Serpent Temptation" as well. I don't think anyone else even voted for them. Oh well, it was a great year

Incubus made my HM, I meant to include Razor as well but had no room in the top 10 for them. In a different year they would have made it, like 2009.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
it only got 3 votes and didn't even make the top 30. neither did riot, pestilence, brocas helm, deathrow etc. that sounds like a travesty but when you see the albums above it it doesn't seem so bad tbh. so much classic shit. i'll post the full list tomorrow though, can't be fucked with that tonight. i will make the thread for the next year shortly.

I'm disappointed that Thundersteel didn't make it to the top ten so you could feature a quote referencing Voldemort-in-a-tank cover art.

I wasn't expecting AJFA to win. I thought Eternal Nightmare would've done better.

Glad my quotes have been used on my two fave Slayer albums. :kickass:

Reactions: CiG
Only two albums I voted for made the top 10 (1 and 2). And I'm not even disappointed in the results. This year could have easily been a top 20 with no loss in quality

Irae Melanox is one of the albums the in-crowders get right. Kerrang apparently called it a thrash album back in the day anyways and it's faster than South of Heaven so yeah there's objectively no reason to prefer Slayer for this year.

not a bad album by any means, but its easily the second weakest album up there and shouldn't have even made the top ten in such great year imo. And no, its not better then South of Heaven. Nothing on that album touches Silent Scream, Ghosts of War, Cleanse the Soul , Live Undead, Behind the Crooked Cross, the title track. Man, that album would have been near flawless if it wasn't for Mandatory Suicide and Read Between the Lines

not a bad album by any means, but its easily the second weakest album up there and shouldn't have even made the top ten in such great year imo. And no, its not better then South of Heaven. Nothing on that album touches Silent Scream, Ghosts of War, Cleanse the Soul , Live Undead, Behind the Crooked Cross, the title track. Man, that album would have been near flawless if it wasn't for Mandatory Suicide and Read Between the Lines

Whoa, EXCEPT Mandatory Suicide? That's one of the best songs on war, period.

As far as a direct comparison between Irae Melanox vs. South of Heaven, it seems a little useless. I prefer the later slightly, but both are great representations of their respective styles. Considering the style of IM is far from what you like, hearing you complain about it ranking 4 rings a little empty.

Mandatory Suicide gets a bit chuggy and goofy, not bad but probably the weakest song, cover aside.

As far as a direct comparison between Irae Melanox vs. South of Heaven, it seems a little useless. I prefer the later slightly, but both are great representations of their respective styles. Considering the style of IM is far from what you like, hearing you complain about it ranking 4 rings a little empty.

its a perfectly fine comparison, they don't need to play the exact same type of music for one to say one album is better than the other. The songs on album A are stronger than the songs on album B. Regardless of style or what not. And i think HBB kind of explained why he made the "direct comparison"

How in the world is it "far from what i like"? I enjoy the album and im almost almost sure ive listened to it dozens of times more than you have ... so i would think my opinion/"complaint" on them is infinitely more valid than yours.

Lmao! No, it is not. It's one of Slayers worst songs from their godly albums.

its a perfectly fine comparison, they don't need to play the exact same type of music for one to say one album is better than the other. The songs on album A are stronger than the songs on album B. Regardless of style or what not. And i think HBB kind of explained why he made the "direct comparison"

Yeah, you can compare any album ever recorded in any style in that way. That's not saying much.

As for what HBB said, I don't know as I rarely read his posts. Going back and reading it now, his argument seems to be that one magazine incorrectly identified them as fast back in the day, and that one is faster than the other. Pretty weak justification for a comp, by any rational standard.

How in the world is it "far from what i like"? I enjoy the album and im almost almost sure ive listened to it dozens of times more than you have ... so i would think my opinion/"complaint" on them is infinitely more valid than yours.

You rarely like power or progresive metal from what I've seen. So, yes it is kind of a surprise to hear you list to the album.

I'm not really interested in having an unverifiable debate about how many times you've heard the album. Childish pissing contest shit.

That said, the premise of your argument is massively flawed. Most albums can be thoroughly analyzed and grasped within 10-12 listens by most people. After that, there's diminishing returns on what new findigd one "gets" out of relistening to the album. Therefore, the validity of the opinion of someone who has listened to the 10 times and someone who has listened to the album 40 times is negligible.

Lmao! No, it is not. It's one of Slayers worst songs from their godly albums.

It's high art.