GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1996

3) Far Away From the Sun by Sacramentum
I will forever belong to the night...

55668_634927340079565584.jpg

"saccharine to talk about what i want played at my funeral; all i have to say is that, when i die, i hope dying feels like this album. the sun setting at the end of a great adventure, with nothing left but the resigned, tranquil passage into the dark." - @Guardian of Darkness

Chosen by:
spikes77 (#1)
Slayed Necros (#1)
Talos of Atmora (#1)
Mort Divine (#1)
Phylactery (#1)
no country for old wainds (#1)
rms (#2)
Atomic Tide (#4)
Master_Yoda77 (#5)
Anom@nder Rake (#6)
EternalMetal (#7)
Vegard Pompey (#7)
EspaDa (#9)
-CyanideChrist- (#10)
H.P. Lovecraft (n/a)

i can say the same about every year except '03 though, that's not a very big sample size. i mean, black metal marginally won 95 and 96? holy shit indeed

The point is that these threads are not a good way of judging the forum's preferences since most years will be dominated by canonical picks. The mixtape thread shows preferences much better because it requires people to judge relatively lower-tier releases from a sub-genre they may either love or hate.

has non-canonical doom done that well in the mixtape games though? i mostly just recall stuff like vitus and rev biz owning. there's obviously something of an old-school bias on this forum, i'm just not sure there's as much of a specific genre bias as people make out.

death metal or thrash metal tunes have won 9 of the last 11 mixtape games for what that's worth (and the other two were venom which isn't exactly far off thrash either), maybe they're making a comeback?!

You were going to complain the second NSV wasnt #1, am I right?
Actually it was more in line with what krow said, all those #1 votes and it still didnt make the top three? And it gets beaten out by and in crowd favorite like Scald? :lol: an absolute joke. Only in the UMF fantasy land can such cringeworthy things happen.

Im starting to tire of your incessant opposition to other people's taste ...
And what in the world would make you think i even give the slightest bit of a fuck?

edit: And what the fuck is all this nonsense you're spewing out? I just said NSV should have been the winner for this year. What mirror lists and genres and all this other bullshit are you even going on about? And for what reason did your asshole just erupt all of a sudden? And you say im taking it too seriously? :lol:

oh and btw friend-o, you're now on my ever-growing UM shitlist.

Last edited:
has non-canonical doom done that well in the mixtape games though? i mostly just recall stuff like vitus and rev biz owning. there's obviously something of an old-school bias on this forum, i'm just not sure there's as much of a specific genre bias as people make out.

death metal or thrash metal tunes have won 9 of the last 11 mixtape games for what that's worth (and the other two were venom which isn't exactly far off thrash either), maybe they're making a comeback?!

Fair point, I guess the thing with doom metal is that even the fans don't seem to go very deep and just obsess over the same several bands. Still, outside of Rev Biz, those bands are usually only downrated for reasons of over-repetition.

Yeah I don't disagree that death and thrash metal do reasonably well overall, especially lately. We will claw at the in-crowd bourgeois until nothing remains but dust, and in that dust we will sow the fertile seeds of revolution, until one day it births an immaculate Lamb of God to rule over the mixtape game.

Doesn't seem like it. My Witchfinder General song didn't even score above a 5. That's clearly fucked.

I'm looking forward to the next year actually. Hope the next isn't another dud year

There are no dud years, only people with extremely limited taste in music, namely death metal and thrash metal circlejerkers who can only show up on years that those two genres cluster in.

None So Vile is the true winner in this shitty in-crowd influenced thread.

Cry more.

Congratulations.

At the end of every game the same bunch of muppets moan about the results, you cunts are like the Hillary Clinton supporters of these games.

2) Will of the Gods is Great Power by Scald
Unknown mysteries of a distant world...

ffe253401130364ff8d46172fc3ea6fb.jpg

"Fuuuuuuck yeah. Fucking thunderstorm shit, fucking echoing clean vox, rotating guitar work. Admittedly there were some points where those vocals sounded like Trey Parker's mockery and then I was down the rabbit hole of imagining this entire band as south park characters, but I got over it after a few minutes, and the sparkly atmospheric droning behind the guitars really does paint the night sky vividly. 'The screeching breakdown' was wonderful, I love elevated elongated vocal work. Very dramatic and chill. SIMULTANEOUSLY. Good shit." @Carpe Mortem

"Scald - Night Sky - 4
homosexual obese buttsex cock and ball mouthstuffing.
" - @arg

"Will of Gods is a Great Power is probably the best album ever after Hammerheart. Great music, great vocals, great atmosphere, great great." - @Vilden

Chosen by:
Vilden (#1)
rms (#1)
CASSETTEISGOD (#1)
Vegard Pompey (#1)
Master_Yoda77 (#2)
Slayed Necros (#3)
Mort Divine (#3)
no country for old wainds (#3)
Talos of Atmora (#4)
Anom@nder Rake (#5)
Serjeant Grumbles (#5)
Phylactery (#5)
Krow (#5)

1) Here In After by Immolation

This is a soul that doesn't need saving...

IMMOLATION-Here-in-After-LP-BLUE-MARBLED.jpg

"Dawn of Possession is more of a melting pot of absolutely potent and disturbing blasphemies, whereas Here in After is more emotional, grandiose, and cohesive as a whole. They tie in the "best Immolation" contest so you should really just get both and neglect whatever insignificant thing it is you'll spend the extra money on.

I feel like Here in After, Failures for Gods, and Unholy Cult are inextricably linked conceptually, sort of like the three Order from Chaos albums are. I can't help but feel that the character in "Rival the Eminent" is the exact same soul that was abandoned by an imperfect God in "Away from God" and the being that foresaw the ironically demonic coming of Christ in "Once Ordained".

I really wish there were more bands like Immolation.
" - @Addo_Of_Nex

Chosen by:
TechnicalBarbarity (#2)
Slayed Necros (#2)
ClichéUserName (#2)
zerostatic (#2)
Atomic Tide (#2)
alex76 (#3)
Anom@nder Rake (#4)
EspaDa (#4)
EternalMetal (#4)
Phylactery (#4)

Sirjack (#4)
Master_Yoda77 (#4)
Mort Divine (#7)
crimsonfloyd (#7)
CASSETTEISGOD (#9)
Bloopy (#9)
H.P. Lovecraft (n/a)

honestly HERE IN AFTER not being on mine is more down to me not being in a DM mood at all lately. probably deserves a spot in retrospect, but it didn't matter anyway.

only 11.5 separated the top 4 here, and 2-4 had only three points between them. immolation won without getting a single number 1 pick when the next three got 14 #1s between them.