GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2009

I'm like 10 minutes into this Obscura album (on Youtube) and so far I really like it, doesn't strike me as especially sterile or robotic at all.
Sounds like beautifully crafted and well-produced technical death metal. The drumming is fucking amazing too, no clicky-clicky faggot shit.

This rules.

So you liked the first song? haha nice! that's one of my favorite tech-death tracks. perfection imho.

oh man i can without a doubt say that every musician on that album is at the at the top of the list for their respective instruments. I dont even need to say anythig about Muenzner, as he is already recognized as one the best guitarists of today. Grossmann is without a doubt one of the most creative and technically inclined drummers in all of metal. And JPT is bass guitar god of the likes that we have never really seen before in metal. Check out the instrumental on that album

.. dat fretless bass tho

too bad that godly lineup is gone. At least they gave us two masterpieces before they went their own ways.

Last edited:
That's the problem with peak musicians like that, they just can't last together. It's like when you have a film filled with master-class actors, you always hear about how tumultuous things were behind the scenes.

That definitely opened my mind to Obscura though.

yeah man, they all started doing their own shit. Grossmann started a few other projects ...

Muenzer joined him on that Alkaloid album and also released a few aweosme sintemntal albums.

And its funny, you can hear a lot of Obscura in those other projects/bands. And whats even more impressive is that Kummerer(main guy) didnt really lose that sound either with the last Obscura record, even though everyone left. But its just not the same either way.

Oh and JPT joined Pestilence and put that godly fretless bass to work on their albums for a little while, dont know what he's doing now.

Reactions: CiG
that particular chasm album isn't really in crowd though; it broke into the semi-mainstream, is in RYM's top ten death metal albums of the decade and has high ranking here from the likes of oz and tech barb. i wouldn't say the in crowd is anti-vektor either, seems pretty mixed.

most of the righteous voters had both albums on their lists. Scummy in-crowders!

reaction-angry-Danny-Devito.gif

yea he was such a huge part of their sound/that band, you can just hear Obscura in everything Hannes does.

I think what I like between both of those links (Obscura and Hannes Grossmann) is that they're almost sounding to me like technical death metal crafted by people who have a deep-down adoration for progressive music. It kind of shines through in many areas, very fluid yet still technical.

Very interesting results for this year. Was sure that Funebrarum would crack the top 10. Also surprising that barely anyone mentioned Weapon or Slugathor, two bands that were fellated on this board that year (and rightfully so). Also, Kongh > Griftegård. Grave Miasma anyone? Oh, and how the hell didn't Cobalt make it? Shit, even vihris put it in his list iirc. You know what, y'all a bunch of posers. At least Vektor and Excoriate made it.

Very interesting results for this year. Was sure that Funebrarum would crack the top 10. Also surprising that barely anyone mentioned Weapon or Slugathor, two bands that were fellated on this board that year (and rightfully so). Also, Kongh > Griftegård. Grave Miasma anyone? Oh, and how the hell didn't Cobalt make it? Shit, even vihris put it in his list iirc. You know what, y'all a bunch of posers. At least Vektor and Excoriate made it.

LOL no fucking way that Kongh albums deserves to be even considered for this list. Weapon and Sluaghtor, probably. Grave Miasma is pretty forgettable (I don't think I even remember what they sound like so...) and Cobalt is whatever. Man's Gin is better. Fuck you, cunt.

Beherit, Griftegard, Chasm Supremacy. The true Axis powers.

Reactions: CiG

i thought the same about weapon and funebrarum in particular. i never really cared for them myself but they were suuuuper hyped around here at one time. i'm not sure they even made double figures, i'll look later

Reactions: -CC-