GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1981

Dude, Bathory is just a demo version of early Venom, hell even The Return isn't that far removed and might I remind you, Venom were making this kind of music in the NWOBHM era when metal bands were still writing half arena rock half heavy metal albums.

Granted, Venom didn't really ever move up from that, but it stinks of hypocrisy to put the first two Bathory albums on some kind of pedastal while you also dismiss Venom entirely.

It's not hypocritical at all. I just identified a number of differences that lead me to hold that position. You're more than welcome to disagree that those differences result in the chasm in quality that I see, but from that it doesn't follow that I'm a hypocrite.

i'm kind of in between on this argument; on the one hand bathory's s/t is nowhere near as steeped in NWOBHM clichés as venom, especially if we're talking about WELCOME TO HELL here, and it's further (and more consistently) along the path toward brooding BM ambience. it's also fair to say that venom were probably just as unusual if not moreso for their own time, and wrote some tunes that were more evocative or memorable than some stuff on bathory's s/t; your comprehensive bias seems a bit excessive. either way, arguing with hbb about fucking bathory is about as enjoyable and productive as applying a cheese grater to your foreskin so i probably wouldn't bother.

:lol:

Side A of At War with Satan demolishes the first Bathory album alone.
20 minutes of British superiority released in the same year that Euronymous was pretending to not rip off Venom.
I was going back through this year to see some of the discussion I missed and I'd absolutely agree with that. Those first 20 minutes are utterly monstrous. Frankly, I find Bathory's debut to be somewhat lacking in comparison to Venom's discography and a lot of what would follow in Bathory's black metal era. It's just no contest.

So fucked up that the guy was badly hurt because of a drunk driver. DUIs should be grounds for public lynching.

At first I was thinking "What does Mario have to do with metal albums from 1981?" Then I saw all those other Mort posts, so I guess it all makes perfect sense when you're tweaked out of your mind.

Yeah... Let's just get this round out of the fucking way, fast. :lol:
  1. Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
  2. Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
  3. Iron Maiden - Killers
  4. Venom - Welcome to Hell
  5. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
  6. Riot - Fire Down Under
  7. Saxon - Denim and Leather
  8. Gilschool - Hit and Run
  9. Samson - Shock Tactics
  10. Judas Priest - Point of Entry
2023 version:

1.jpg
1. Iron Maiden - Killers
Favourite song: "Purgatory"

2.jpg
2. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Favourite song: "The Sign of the Southern Cross"

3.jpg
3. Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Favourite song: "Believer"

4.jpg
4. Venom - Welcome to Hell
Favourite song: "Angel Dust"

5.jpg
5. Saxon - Denim and Leather
Favourite song: "Fire in the Sky"

6.jpg
6. Accept - Breaker
Favourite song: "Can't Stand the Night"

7.jpg
7. Holocaust - The Nightcomers
Favourite song: "Death or Glory"

8.jpg
8. Saracen - Heroes, Saints & Fools
Favourite song: "Horsemen of the Apocalypse"

9.jpg
9. Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
Favourite song: "I'm Alive"

10.jpg
10. Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
Favourite song: "High Speed"

Was gonna update my list but I see I already had enough good sense in 2017 to rank Mistreater at #2 so no need. I really ranked Frost and Fire over Killers though, eww?

Also I'd probably fit in Ozzy somewhere today.

Also wtf is this shit? Haven't heard it but I feel like it belongs based on cover art/name alone.

1. The Holocaust - The Nightcomers
2. The Mistreater - Hell's Fire
3. The Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
4. The Iron Maiden - Killers
5. The Saracen - Heroes, Saints & Fools
6. The Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
7. The Motörhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
8. The Dark Star - Dark Star
9. The Girlschool - Hit and Run
10. The Saxon - Denim and Leather

Reactions: CiG
1. Iron Maiden - Killers