GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1987

I love the argument between Dodens and Vitor that was quoted in the I.N.R.I. post. That dude was so convinced that Sarcófago was like the number one influence on Mayhem, which is funny since the band members' names were inspired by Hellhammer.

7) S/T by Dark Quarterer
I have decided I don't ask for your pardon...

AJLlDp3MX_l0AwCp1-LAzKfdbnR7bBEgJjgWCVGz6Q=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

"Great band, their first two records are firm favourites." - @CASSETTEISGOD

"Some pretty awkward musicianship going on here. I don't get all the praise. 4/10" - @Satanstoenail

"With ratings like that for Pagan Altar and Dark Quarterer you'll never make it into the in-crowd." - @Slayed Necros

"Vocals are a little weird and the production is way bad but there's some epic shit in there" - @Krow

"Dark Quarterer are a fucking great Epic Prog band from Italy." - @Dazed and Brutal

" *is " -@Dodens_Grav

Chosen by:
crimsonfloyd (#1)
EspaDa (#1)
no country for old wainds (#1)
Vegard Pompey (#2)
Anom@nder Rake (#3)
rms (#6)
Omni (#8)
Slayed Necros (#8)
Phylactery (#9)

TOTAL POINTS: 60

6) Hall of the Mountain King by Savatage
Madness reigns...

f5f6a68c98494d53cd8cfd8c873de5d3

"Savatage rules. I picked up Hall of the Mountain King used the other day and it is awesome." - @The Ozzman

"HoTMK is so fucking full of win." - @mutantllama

"my tastes almost identically match the songwriting of Sir Jon Oliva, The Mountain King." - @Trans-Siberian Outcast

"Hall Of The Mountain King is an awesome album. The single track, with that title, made me love Savatage, it is a thing of beauty... - @witchhunterni

"I don't like them. One day I bought The Wake of Magellan blindly and I don't like it. Someone buy it please." - @Susperia

"Why why why. Get a good album. HOTMK is a good start. Then come back when you are enlightened." -@The Heartbreak Kid

"a buddy of mine was playing that stuff once..it was listenable.I guess they had a decent guitarist that couldn't get off the dope.Now he's dead." - @Mythos Inibri

Chosen by:
HamburgerBoy (#1)
-CyanideChrist- (#2)
Talos of Atmora (#2)
EspaDa (#3)
zabu of nΩd (#3)
Serjeant Grumbles (#4)
Sleestaks (#4)
Omni (#5)

TOTAL POINTS: 64

Reactions: CiG
5) Abigail by King Diamond
A horseman came forth from the dark...

814ORQZDsUL._SL1500_.jpg

"I don't like King Diamond vocals, but "Abigail" is one hell of an album." - @Wyvern

"I dislike King Diamond's vocals because I dislike most metal singers who sing almost exclusively in mock operatic falsetto. It's not that he's a bad singer, but I dislike that vocal style."- @Omni

"King Diamond's vocals are bizarre. It stands to reason that people love them or hate them. Also I wouldn't say there's anything operatic about his falsetto." - @Satanstoenail

"Neither would I, which is why I wrote about "mock operatic falsetto metal vocalists" in my last post." - @Omni

"I had no problem with his vox from the get-go. Halford prepped me I guess.

(no homo)
- @Zephyrus

"King Diamond suck...some of the worst metal ever written." - @Belligerent

"My wife wanted to name our girl Abigail, I told her no way in hell because everytime I looked at that cutie pie I would see King Diamond's FACE staring back at me! (true story!) " - @MetalAges

Chosen by:
-CyanideChrist- (#1)
alex76 (#1)
Dazed and Brutal (#1)
Sleestaks (#1)
Atomic Tide (#2)
Serjeant Grumbles (#3)
Talos of Atmora (#6)

zerostatic (#7)
Krow (#9)
Anom@nder Rake (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 69

4) Nightfall by Candlemass
Sunrise I greet you...

"Proven by scientists in 1971 to be the best Candlemass album ever." - @Carcassian

"paddy likes nightfall candle mass are good:kickass::kickass: :Smokin: and as you cats would remeber they have had aBAND OF THE WEEK already top award from paddy"-
@metal paddy

"Candlemass is better than Nightfall and Tales of Creation" - @The Ozzman

"Epicus is their best, but Tales and Nightfall are fucking sick." - @Einherjar86

"Well, I gave Candlemass a listen. THEY ARE FUCKING AWESOME. I feel like walking down to Mr.paperback right now and ordering Nightfall." - @mutantllama

"Nightfall is one of my favorite metal albums of all time." - @Cythraul

"An appreciation of Candlemass is an appreciation of life itself." - @SentinelSlain

Chosen by:
Bloopy (#1)
Oblivious Maximus (#2)
Serjeant Grumbles (#2)
Phylactery (#4)
Krow (#5)
Sirjack (#5)
Sleestaks (#5)
Talos of Atmora (#5)

Burkhard (#7)
alex85 (#10)
crimsonfloyd (#10)
mutantllama (unranked)

TOTAL POINTS: 70.5

Reactions: CiG and Wyvern
3) Scream Bloody Gore by Death
Drifting from the living, joining with the dead...

Death-Scream-Bloody-Gore-2016-cover.jpg

"scream bloody gore was clearly the first death metal record." - @Hell Awaits Us All

"Wrong.

Seven Churchs was the first. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong."-
@Mort Divine

"Last FM Just recommended me this band and I am very pleased. Where would one start with them?" - @Ender Rises

"You've NEVER listened to death???

Thats like saying you've never read a book.

Scream Bloody Gore, btw."
- @Rabid Headbanger

"The song Scream Bloody Gore has to be death metal personified." - @Krow

"Despite never having actually heard Scream Bloody Gore, I am now convinced it is infact the best Death album." - @CAIRATH

Chosen by:
Baroque (#1)
Krow (#2)
Sleestaks (#2)
Sirjack (#3)
Anom@nder Rake (#4)
Vegard Pompey (#4)
Atomic Tide (#5)
-CyanideChrist- (#7)

Satanstoenail (#7)
Serjeant Grumbles (#7)
RadicalThrasher (#8)
Slayed Necros (#9)
dwellerINTHEdark (#10)
no country for old wainds (#10)
zabu of nΩd (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 76

2) Killing Technology by Voivod
The new invention is coming out..

technologywallpaper.jpg

"OK I've worked my way through their first six albums, and while the music has progressed from the first two, and I can appreciate both their influence and their influences, the band is basically ruined by Snake. Awful tone, cadences, and times, even vocal control. Even when a song catches me at the start, I can't help but think to myself "fuck that hack is gonna start singing and ruin it.""- @crimsonfloyd

"tbh Snake's vocals were my biggest stumbling block for getting into Voivod, but he's perfect once you understand the full context of them within the band. People with low metal IQs are never able to appreciate unusual vocal approaches, however." - @HamburgerBoy

"Voivod has the worst vocals i've ever heard in my life." - @CF87

"My favourite Voivod-albums are still "Killing Technology", "Dimension Hatröss" and "Nothingface", but "Phobos" would come close to these, whereas I found their last selftitled album very disappointing." - @Burkhard

"Killing Technology is the only good thrash album from them isn't it? The rest are progressive post 1987. This is according to MA, I haven't listened to much of Voivod tbh."
- @Caecius

"Killing Technology > Any album by Metallica or Megadeth" - @MrTagoMago

Chosen by:
Anom@nder Rake (#1)
Atomic Tide (#1)
Burkhard (#1)
no country for old wainds (#2)
HamburgerBoy (#3)
Sleestaks (#3)
Talos of Atmora (#3)
Vegard Pompey (#3)
Oblivious Maximus (#6)
Satanstoenail (#6)
Baroque (#9)
Slayed Necros (#10)
mutantllama (unranked)

TOTAL POINTS: 89.5

1) Under the Sign of the Black Mark by Bathory
Grant me the powers of thunder...

bathory-126782e0-f216-4a06-abb1-fad33596e630.jpg

"This one sincerely scared the Hell out of me when I first heard it. Bathory truly sounded like some sort of malicious entity at this point. - @HadesRagnazrath

"I think we can all agree that Under The Sign Of The Black Mark, Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart are mandatory Bathory albums."
-
@zabu of nΩd

"Under the Sign of the Black Mark is their best and easily one of the best black metal albums of all time." - @Manic Ferocity

"i actually don't think i know anyone anywhere who dislikes bathory."
- @no country for old wainds

"Nobody who likes Bathory acts like Quorthon is a good singer." - @Omni

Chosen by:
Serjeant Grumbles (#1)
dwellerINTHEdark (#2)
Phylactery (#2)
Slayed Necros (#2)
crimsonfloyd (#3)
Dazed and Brutal (#3)
Atomic Tide (#4)
Vegard Pompey (#5)

zabu of nΩd (#5)
Anom@nder Rake (#6)
Omni (#6)
no country for old wainds (#7)
zerostatic (#9)
EspaDa (#9)

TOTAL POINTS: 91

Man, I forgot that I actually really disliked most of King Diamond's solo vocal performances at one point. I'm definitely not in that camp anymore.

great job dude. after the rms corrections your count is now identical to mine. i'll post the next thread, that part's easy lol

I think that you’ll be still making the threads, no? We must use the same RNG that you have been using! In fact, do it now! This one has been open for so long that I’m ready to see what’s up next.

I think that you’ll be still making the threads, no? We must use the same RNG that you have been using! In fact, do it now! This one has been open for so long that I’m ready to see what’s up next.

i mean, i'm just using a random integer generator anyone could use. but sure

Reactions: -CC-
I like how Hall of the Mountain King made it to #6 with the fewest number of people voting for it. An album for those of exclusively good taste.

Reactions: -CC- and Omni