GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2008

3) Release by Revelation
Divine runes traced along your scarred hands...

a3291108840_16.jpg

"After only two listens, I really like the new Revelation. I still don't like Release though. I really didn't expect to like the new one this much at this stage." - @Pate

"revelation are generally a huge deal in doom communities and completely unknown elsewhere. i am still yet to dive in myself (i only know RELEASE and one of against nature's allegedly weaker albums) but soooo many tasteful people put these guys on a pedestal that it'd be wise to sit up and take notice methinks." - @no country for old wainds

"Can't really go wrong with any Revelation album, but "Release" is their pinnacle." -
@Master_Yoda77

"Revelation is the best doom band around today and I'd say Release rivals a lot of classic doom albums.” -
@Mort Divine

"I think the list lacks Fall of the Idols, Ereb Altor, Necrovation and Skepticism. Not sure if I've gotten so much other from 2008. Well TGoS and Reino Ermitaño, but TGoS is already there and the Reino album is kinda overrated. Never really clicked for me.

Edit: and how the fuck could I forget Revelation - Release?! Maybe the best of them all." -
@Vilden

Chosen by:
Mort Divine (#1)

rms (#1)
Anom@nder Rake (#4)
Nagami (#5)
Alex76 (#7)
Krow (#7)
Omni (#8)

TOTAL POINTS: 44

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
2) Meshuggah by obZen
Committed
to a lie we cannot see...

28435288_1655327981225299_3603040857659277312_n.jpg

"obZen fucking slays." - @The Ozzman

"obZen is my favorite Meshuggah album yet.” - @Master_Yoda77

"I like the song "Combustion" (opening track of Obzen), other than that, it's all very samey." -
@Dak

"ObZen is a fucking monstrous record, but I can't listen to it often. -
@Pitiless Wanderer

"obZen was a sort of breakthrough album for them, but it's still a great album. Their best after the 90s material." -
@HamburgerBoy

"I actually use to hate this album, now I can get enough of it. The constant monotone heaviness is a most have. Crazy." - ArneZ

Chosen by:
CyanideChrist (#1)

HamburgerBoy (#1)
EternalMetal (#1)
Zerostatic (#1)
Oblivious Maximus (#3)

TOTAL POINTS: 48

1) Graves of the Archangels by Dead Congregation
Cast your darkness so I can see the light...

a2191656917_5.jpg

"From Graves of the Archangels, Teeth Into Red is one of the greatest metal songs imo." - SkiesAtOurFeet

"I forgot about Graves of the Archangels. Fucking total darkness in aural form." - @The Butt

"Graves of the Archangels is one of the finest death metal albums period, regardless of the Incantation worship. - Lateralus14

"Not sure if this has been mentioned but, Dead Congregation--Graves of the Archangels is the best death/metal album in the last 5 years. - BloodSword

In response:
"I also think it's absolutely excellent but it can't be first because of Repugnant and Necrovation. - @Onder

"On my first listen I'd definitely say that overall Graves of the Archangels is way better but there are a few riffs here and there on the EP that are better than most of the riffs on Graves." - WCannibal

"Dead Congregation's Graves of the Archangels is so full of win, even on the first listen. Anyone fan of Onward to Golgotha should get a kick out of this." - @Zephyrus

"i've been listening to Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels
and wow.. this is quite the death metal album. it's almost perfect, this will probably be one of the best death metal albums to come out this year. Fucking 10/10." - Koude Heat

"Graves of the Archangels is significantly better than anything Immolation has done in over a decade. Promulgation of the Fall is a step backwards and still is better than everything Immolation has done from Harnessing Ruin onward." - @Mort Divine

"So I finally listened to Dead Congregation i Graves Of The Archangels, and I would say that this is the most important album in this style of Death Metal since last year's The Chalice Of Ages. Absolutely phenomenal." - Skeptik

"Dear Dead Congregation,

Thanks for playing Teeth Into Red's main riff one last time.

Sincerely,
A Fan" - Someone on RYM

Chosen by:
Anom@nder Rake (#1)
Omni (#1)
Phylactery (#1)
Slayed Necros (#1)
EternalMetal (#2)
rms (#2)
Sleestaks (#3)
CyanideChrist (#5)
Mort Divine (#6)
Crimsonfloyd (#8)

TOTAL POINTS: 80

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. That took way more effort than I thought it would!

The Graves of the Archangels powergap is hilarious, but rightfully deserved. Amazing album. "Teeth into Red" is phenomenal.

obZen getting number 2 was a surprise and I can't say I'm pleased about it!

I find it quite interesting that Dak was the main reason Hornets of the Pogrom did so well!

Glad to see Averse Sefira and Darkspace make the list!

Last edited:
I couldn’t find much positive for that specific Warbringer album! And a lot of the results were people saying how they’re one of the worst retro thrash bands around! Could have put in about 10 of those comments haha.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, Nagami’s votes skewed it and got some albums in that otherwise would not have made it and they only have 4 posts. Thank god TechBarb isn’t here, he’d be having a fit about this haha.

I couldn’t find much positive for that specific Warbringer album! And a lot of the results were people saying how they’re one of the worst retro thrash bands around! Could have put in about 10 of those comments haha.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, Nagami’s votes skewed it and got some albums in that otherwise would not have made it and they only have 4 posts. Thank god TechBarb isn’t here, he’d be having a fit about this haha.

That is my favorite Warbringer album, and they’re one of the best retro thrash bands around as far as a live show. Total energy boost, seen them about 5 times

Reactions: Dak
Warbringer is alright but they're garbage compared to Sabbat (jpn) granted, that comment didnt make any sense anyway.