GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1996

aside from burzum, sacramentum and summoning i actually got into them all this decade i reckon, aside from maybe vinterland. my list back then would've had BAN, adramelech, golem, sort vokter, arghoslent, decameron, sacrilegium i'd imagine.

"Morningrise is their best IMO, sure the songwriting is a mess overall, but it has the best individual moments I think. Parts of it remind me of Final Fantasy 7." - @Phylactery

Are you trying to make me listen to Opeth? Because you're succeeding.

Speaking of video games, I don't know if it's just me but there's one recurring riff in Sorrow Flew on Black Wings that reminds me of a theme from some old video game soundtrack... A Link to the Past? Not sure if it's even that similar but the association is instant and consistent.

You've never heard Morningrise? I'm pretty sure you'd like it. As a Dream Theater fan, you're already accustomed to disjointed songwriting :p.

I dunno, the part starting at 9:42 has always kinda given me Cosmo Canyon vibes. And there are other parts of the album that remind me of FF7.

i can't say i've ever noticed much of an ff7 vibe myself but yeah you should check out morningrise. has a distinctive sound and some great moments on it at the very least.

Stop bitching. Fourth is a really good turn out and it beat one of the definitive Burzum albums. And yet people are still complaining the list is too "in-crowd".

Should rename this section General Black/Trad/Doom discussion and be done with it.

Really? There is an extreme bias against black metal on this forum as evidenced by its consistently poor performance in the themed mixtape game. Death metal seems to be far more popular here.

Reactions: CiG
The bias against black metal in the mixtape game is literally Baroque and HBB. They're also the reason decent thrash songs have an edge over other things popular here, they don't downrate them.

The bias against black metal in the mixtape game is literally Baroque and HBB. They're also the reason decent thrash songs have an edge over other things popular here, they don't downrate them.

Arg, Satanstoenail? And RadicalThrasher has said he doesn't like black metal either.

With the exception of 2003, the lists have been interesting and fair IMO. I like the fact that there is a wide range of opinions. It wouldn't be fun if the whole list was 10 black metal albums. I will say I'm surprised None So Vile didn't land in the top 3, but #4 is still good.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
None So Vile is the true winner in this shitty in-crowd influenced thread.

Im starting to tire of your incessant opposition to other people's taste. Everyone here (aside from maybe one or two people I wont bother naming) is pretty damn legitimate in taste, stop making it seem as though everyone is a conformist poseur because their lists dont mirror yours or they happen to like another genre more than you. Your taste in music is good, and I still respect your opinion on DM, but you are taking this shit too seriously. You were going to complain the second NSV wasnt #1, am I right?

Btw, NSV was my #2 right behind Psychostasia, because of nostalgic reasons. The UM forum has a slightly different opinion (both are in the top 10), but who really cares? DM is less loved on UM than it used to be, but calling everyone posers because of it is horseshit.

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery

I've given many black metal songs ratings around 6 or higher. I've downrated plenty of thrash as well, e.g. that Ratos song in the most recent playlist, or stuff like Magnus. Cry more.

Should rename this section General Black/Trad/Doom discussion and be done with it.

this definitely applies to the 2003 list to a ridiculous extent lol, but 5 of the top 7 in the '86 list were thrash, a thrash album won '83, 5 of the top 6 in the '92 list were DM, '16 list had more thrash than anything else.

Immolation definitely deserves its spot, and considering this forum's proclivities towards doom, Scald makes sense too. Shame that garbage entry-level meloblack like Sacramentum will make it in though.

this definitely applies to the 2003 list to a ridiculous extent lol, but 5 of the top 7 in the '86 list were thrash, a thrash album won '83, 5 of the top 6 in the '92 list were DM, '16 list had more thrash than anything else.

Holy shit, thrash won in 1986? Next you're going to tell me that black metal will win 1994.